• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bo Penguinis

Bo will be fired this year.
hard to fire a guy that had you playing in the National Title game in January of 2017... Most people figured YSU was not going to be the cream of the league... They were picked 4th in the conference but nobody saw ILLSt being as good as they are (ask Colorado St).

hard to fire a guy that had you playing in the National Title game in January of 2017... Most people figured YSU was not going to be the cream of the league... They were picked 4th in the conference but nobody saw ILLSt being as good as they are (ask Colorado St).
Being picked 4th in the conference wasn't just because of the players though.

Being picked 4th in the conference wasn't just because of the players though.
See... I would say the opposite... I would say they were picked 4th because folks around the conference think Bo is a good coach...hahah. Funny how different perspectives can be.

Right now the MVC has 4 or 5 teams that could compete in the Sunbelt or Conference USA and not finish last. Top to bottom the conference is scary good right now. Throw out Indiana St everyone else is really solid... even Missouri St is getting much better quickly.

See... I would say the opposite... I would say they were picked 4th because folks around the conference think Bo is a good coach...hahah. Funny how different perspectives can be.

Right now the MVC has 4 or 5 teams that could compete in the Sunbelt or Conference USA and not finish last. Top to bottom the conference is scary good right now. Throw out Indiana St everyone else is really solid... even Missouri St is getting much better quickly.
But if Bo is an FBS level HC, why are his teams struggling so badly? There are 4 or 5 teams in his conference that are so strong, why isn't his team, with alleged superior coaching, one of them?

But if Bo is an FBS level HC, why are his teams struggling so badly? There are 4 or 5 teams in his conference that are so strong, why isn't his team, with alleged superior coaching, one of them?

Again... its all relative. You have in your head that Bo will never get another FBS job... I just don't agree.

Bo snuck the Penguins into the playoffs in 2016 and beat the top teams of every conference that year save James Madison... that shows you how strong the MVC actually is. YSU was lucky enough to avoid MVC teams in that playoff run. They beat 2 of the best teams from the Southern Conf, beat the champ of the OVC down in Alabama and the champ of the Big Sky out in Washington...

As much as it pains me to say... the MVC is like the SEC equiv but only worse... every team save the bottom 2 or 3 would likely make the playoffs if they played in another conference. YSU fans have wanted to leave the Valley for the OVC for years.. only Indiana State is relatively close.

Again... its all relative. You have in your head that Bo will never get another FBS job... I just don't agree.

Bo snuck the Penguins into the playoffs in 2016 and beat the top teams of every conference that year save James Madison... that shows you how strong the MVC actually is. YSU was lucky enough to avoid MVC teams in that playoff run. They beat 2 of the best teams from the Southern Conf, beat the champ of the OVC down in Alabama and the champ of the Big Sky out in Washington...

As much as it pains me to say... the MVC is like the SEC equiv but only worse... every team save the bottom 2 or 3 would likely make the playoffs if they played in another conference. YSU fans have wanted to leave the Valley for the OVC for years.. only Indiana State is relatively close.
Bo has a great 2nd year at YSU. No one will dispute that.

But outside of that one year, his results have been mediocre at best. I say at best, because he's 12-14 outside of that impressive season.

When you have to search for reasons why 6-5 isn't bad or why 1-3 isn't bad, it should be a sign that you're bringing too much emotion into the conversation.

Last edited:
Bo has a great 2nd year at YSU. No one will dispute that.

But outside of that one year, his results have been mediocre at best. I say at best, because he's 12-14 outside of that impressive season.

When you have to search for reasons why 6-5 isn't bad or why 1-3 isn't bad, it should be a sign that you're bringing too much emotion into the conversation.

Bo vs non MVC opponents and FBS schools... 11-2 with one loss being to National Champ James Madison that 9 months later hammered an FBS school (East Carolina by 20)

Last edited:

Bo vs non MVC opponents and FBS schools... 11-2 with one loss being to National Champ James Madison that 9 months later hammered an FBS school (East Carolina by 20)
My point exactly. You have to cherry-pick the results to make Bo look better. If it was that cut and dry, then YSU fans wouldn't be so disappointed right now.

Struggling against conference opponents is not proof that he's a great coach.

My point exactly. You have to cherry-pick the results to make Bo look better. If it was that cut and dry, then YSU fans wouldn't be so disappointed right now.

Struggling against conference opponents is not proof that he's a great coach.
Would you call Dan Mullen a good coach?

I think he's a solid coach.

In order, who do you think are the three best HCs in the MVC?
Bo Pelini, Chris Klieman, Mark Farely, Brock Spack

Hard to say whether Kleiman is good or just doing excellent as a steward for a machine. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Bo Pelini, Chris Klieman, Mark Farely, Brock Spack

Hard to say whether Kleiman is good or just doing excellent as a steward for a machine. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
If Bo Pelini is the best coach in the MVC, why are his teams struggling? Is it a talent issue?

If Bo Pelini is the best coach in the MVC, why are his teams struggling? Is it a talent issue?
Right now... yes it is a talent issue and a staff that might be a touch in over their heads. That is on Bo...

I have never said Bo was amazing at running a program... but he can coach football very well.

Right now... yes it is a talent issue and a staff that might be a touch in over their heads. That is on Bo...

I have never said Bo was amazing at running a program... but he can coach football very well.
Part of being a great HC is surrounding yourself with quality assistants as well as recruiting talent to your program. Those are two things that he struggled with here at Nebraska also.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back