• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Your opinion on S&C results from 2018

Rednu

Recruit
5 Year Member
Since we have a year to look at, what is your true feelings on who improved going through this last year.

A lot of people point to this as something that will give us an advantage. Ozigbo was a obvious choice of a player that probably excelled under our current S&C.

What other examples do we have real world proof we are better or equal to other top programs?

Something I noticed that was different from the last several years were players tapping out in the middle of a series. There were too many times when key players had to come out for a breather during a drive, and I didn't see that much this year. Receivers, running backs, etc... they were able to stay in longer. We also had fewer timeouts for hurt (not injured) players. I think we were better conditioned and tougher than we've been in a while. Hope to take that and build to the next level this off-season.

Something I noticed that was different from the last several years were players tapping out in the middle of a series. There were too many times when key players had to come out for a breather during a drive, and I didn't see that much this year. Receivers, running backs, etc... they were able to stay in longer. We also had fewer timeouts for hurt (not injured) players. I think we were better conditioned and tougher than we've been in a while. Hope to take that and build to the next level this off-season.
We used to own the 4th quarter.We still have a ways to go.The book is still open,but I believe in HCSF and the people he brings in on his staff to take us to the promised land.GBR.

Since we have a year to look at, what is your true feelings on who improved going through this last year.

A lot of people point to this as something that will give us an advantage. Ozigbo was a obvious choice of a player that probably excelled under our current S&C.

What other examples do we have real world proof we are better or equal to other top programs?
We can't really credit Oxigbo's "progress" to this year's S&C or staff as he indicated that he changed his habits before his Junior year because he was intent on giving football his best effort. The new S&C likely helped some. Hopefully, he and others can be an example of what can be achieved by dedication, hard work, following coaches instruction and going the extra mile.

Last edited:
If the players were not working hard in S&C, and there is evidence to suggest they weren't, then 2018 was just the start of things for them. while quick gains can be made and were, those gains will pale in comparison to what comes next as Duval builds on the foundations he started this year. The more they work the stronger, faster and tougher most will be.

Last edited:
As much as I am sure that people will pillory me for this statement. I saw improvements in the Oline. Yes I know we do not yet look like the Olines of the 90s. However by the end of the season we were head and shoulders over 2017. Only MSU was able to slow us down. In reality we did better than most against them. They had a season average of 81.3 rush YPG and 2.7 per rush. Whereas we rushed for 103 and 3.4 ypc. That is basically 20% better than their average.

With IA we were 40 yards over their average pg and a full yard over their YPC average.

So am I happy with where the Oline is...NO. Are we headed in the right direction? Yes. I also think our ability to rush was affected by not having JD as they could cover his replacement with a single man to man player. Allowing them to move up in rush defense.

I agree on the O-line. My only concern there is it took an injury to Conrad to get the right mix of guys at the right positions to for us to see the improvement. Why isn't this stuff figured out in the multitude of pracitices? This is an issue that has been going on for several years, through several regimes.

This was VERY noticeable. S&C was a prerequisite to this happening, but I think it was also coached. “Listen fellas, football is a mentality. If you are on the ground, get up. Just because you are winded, have a little pride and work through it.”

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back