• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Youngstown State

Solid win against 4-6 Southern Illinois.

YSU isn't making the playoffs, though.
You can say that with sarcasm all you want but Southern Illinois lost to 2 FBS programs... by 8 to FAU who is currently 7-3 and Memphis by 13 who is 8-1.... So yeah it actually was a very good win on the road against a team that is much better than their record may say. Not to mention that there is precedence of a 6-5 MVC team making the playoffs... in 2015 Western Illinois made it (and won a round)... with a season very much like YSUs this year. A loss to an FBS team, a big win over South Dakota St who is top 10 and very close losses to other top 10ish programs.

I follow the MVC very closely (not as close this year, busy with kid stuff) and this conference is at times a 5 or 6 team bid league in FCS...

No idea what happened last Saturday... was actually sure it was a typo when I saw it on google Sunday morning but I do find it funny that you guys gloss over that the previous 3 losses were by 11 pts total... 2 of them away games vs top 5 opponents... 1 being in OT vs ND State... They have now played 4 teams in the FCS top 15...

Keep in mind YSU also played Pitt at the beginning of the season... that is really not counted against them in FCS records... (it at least has an asterisk beside it)

My guess is YSU will win out. Finish 4-4 in the best conference in FCS and just miss the playoffs. Had they won 1 of the previous 4 they would likely have made the playoffs.
And that's just what happened....

Solid, solid win over 3-8 Missouri State.
And again. They finished 6-5...loss in OT to FBS Pitt, beat #5 seed SDSU, lost in OT to #2 seed NDSU, lost on a last second FG to playoff team South Dakota, lost by 5 playoff team Northern Iowa. The 35-0 loss to Illinois St happened when they were down to a 3rd string QB.

You just want to be a jackwagon and hate because it's Bo but the fact is YSU is likely 1 of the top 10 FCS teams in the country this year but they play in the toughest conference and had the toughest conference schedule (playing 4 of the 5 MVC playoff teams in a row).

Bo is 5 times the coach Riley is... pretty sure you guys all understand that now.

. Not to mention that there is precedence of a 6-5 MVC team making the playoffs... in 2015 Western Illinois made it (and won a round)... with a season very much like YSUs this year.

Who does YSU play in the first round, or were they one of the teams that earned a BYE?

If Bo is five times the coach Riley is, I have to believe a major FBS program will be knocking on his door any day now.

6-5 with a bunch of close losses for YSU in 2017 ... that was basically Riley's first season at NU. Which most Nebraska fans reference as a failed season.

And again. They finished 6-5...loss in OT to FBS Pitt, beat #5 seed SDSU, lost in OT to #2 seed NDSU, lost on a last second FG to playoff team South Dakota, lost by 5 playoff team Northern Iowa. The 35-0 loss to Illinois St happened when they were down to a 3rd string QB.

You just want to be a jackwagon and hate because it's Bo but the fact is YSU is likely 1 of the top 10 FCS teams in the country this year but they play in the toughest conference and had the toughest conference schedule (playing 4 of the 5 MVC playoff teams in a row).

Bo is 5 times the coach Riley is... pretty sure you guys all understand that now.
Everyone understands how amazing Bo is as a coach. I can hardly read any sport's article without seeing his name all over the place as the next HC at a P5 school.

The guy is a slightly above average coach with way too much baggage off of the field to make taking a chance on him worth it. In a league where coaches are retreaded time and time again, if he was worth it, someone would have already picked him up.

Everyone understands how amazing Bo is as a coach. I can hardly read any sport's article without seeing his name all over the place as the next HC at a P5 school.

The guy is a slightly above average coach with way too much baggage off of the field to make taking a chance on him worth it. In a league where coaches are retreaded time and time again, if he was worth it, someone would have already picked him up.
I'd go on a limb and say he's probably an above average coach who doesn't realize the importance of recruiting at the highest level. Or maybe he realizes it, just doesn't want to put in the effort. Not criticizing. I wouldn't either. But I didn't make coaching my profession. Be that as it may, he's made out well for himself in life.

If Bo is five times the coach Riley is, I have to believe a major FBS program will be knocking on his door any day now.

6-5 with a bunch of close losses for YSU in 2017 ... that was basically Riley's first season at NU. Which most Nebraska fans reference as a failed season.
Not even close. The MVC in FCS is basically the SEC from 2005-2012...

They went 6-4 in FCS beating 2 playoff teams. They lost to the second overall seed and basically the Alabama program of FCS in overtime. Mike Rileys first season was nothing remotely like YSUs this year.

The Penguins did not lose to a sub 500 team and the only not close loss came with a third string QB to a team that has made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years including the Championship in 2014...

Where did that built in 9 win season in the Big Ten West go?

Last edited:
Not even close. The MVC in FCS is basically the SEC from 2005-2012...

They went 6-4 in FCS beating 2 playoff teams. They lost to the second overall seed and basically the Alabama program of FCS in overtime. Mike Rileys first season was nothing remotely like YSUs this year.

The Penguins did not lose to a sub 500 team and the only not close loss came with a third string QB to a team that has made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years including the Championship in 2014...

Where did that built in 9 win season in the Big Ten West go?
If Bo is such a great HC, when will the teams in big-boy football go after him?

I don't think all these moral victory close losses are enough.

Last edited:

A lot of people still too interested in Bo, and his potential as a HC. Why worry about what he does, or doesn't do going forward? He had an outstanding first year at YSU, and followed it up with a difficult one. If you follow FCS football even remotely, you'll see that's pretty common for that level (outside of NDSU over the past 7-10 years). Tressel had a great run at YSU, but there are some 3-8, 6-5, 4-7, 2-9 records on his resume during his time there. That's life in the lower levels of CFB. One year you have, and the next it's gone. Let's not act astonished that Bo hasn't had a P5 offer after 2 years in the FCS. Jeez, Craig Bohl won three-straight titles and all that came calling was Wyoming.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back