• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WSU retrospective article on Moos

Moos has been great.
He was charged with getting NUFB back near the top, again.

He didn't try to be the smartest guy in the room. He went with the obvious answer.

I don't think SF would have come home unless there had been a clean sweep, from the top on down. So the stars literally aligned for SF to come home.

The entire University is on board with getting the FB program back to national prominence.

We need to get to Top Ten level consistency, and things will align to make a run at a NC.

I believe that's what was said by the powers running the show. Moos would have to have been completely DAFT, DUMB and BLIND to not know SF should be the target for Nebraska's next HC. I don't believe however Moos was ordered to hire Frost but rather strongly suggested he get it done. Moos is not the type of person who is going get pushed around when it comes to doing his job... period.

IMO Moos did a terific job handling everything with hiring SF. It was obvious from the body language they got along well when the announcement was made in Lincoln. Nice to finally have our AD and HC on the same page. Bottom line perhaps there were many other AD's that could have accomplished the same but that's a specious statement imo. Moos did it and now our football program is at long last in great hands....

There was no mandate. He was simply told how important the football program was to Nebraska and that there were struggles with the last hiring of coaches by the previous AD. 1-6 to end the season took care of the rest.

I don't disagree with most of what you say and by mid October it was very palpable that the fans, state, university, regents, president, chancellor, students, and college football in general could see it. SF was 6-0 and looking good doing it, MR was 3-4 and struggling. A mandate does not have to be a direct order, I am not going to argue over semantics but Moos had one. Think politician, emphasis mine...

2. the authority to carry out a policy or course of action, regarded as given by the electorate to a candidate or party that is victorious in an election.
"a sick leader living beyond his mandate"
I like him as AD and really like that he got after the commissioner of the Pac12. Moxie, SF has it too. Love it.
https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/o...2018/11/pac-12-larry-scott-leftout-part1.html

Conference insiders cast Scott as whip-smart and a scary-good negotiator. Others say he fosters a totalitarian culture, revels in the luxurious perks of his job, and uses his shrewd negotiating tactics in ways that harm the conference itself.
"Larry is a lavish guy; he likes extravagance," said Bill Moos, the former Oregon and Washington State athletic director, who is now at Nebraska. "He runs the Pac-12 like he's the commissioner of Major League Baseball."
Was moving the longtime Bay Area headquarters to its high-rent location a wise move for the conference -- or a Scott misfire that now haunts the football programs?
"All of our eyebrows went up a little bit when the conference moved from Walnut Creek to San Francisco. There's a reason ESPN is in Bristol (Connecticut) and not Manhattan. But Larry likes to go first cabin," Moos says.

True he ran up a tab at WSU but it appears to be paying off. WSU with a good win and near $8M payout yesterday, maybe what Moos did will be a solid long-term investment in the Football program and Cougar athletics overall. I just hope he keeps everything above board, do that and I see good things in NU's future.

C

Last edited:
Firing SE was the FIRST piece of the puzzle, IMO, and likely done with the clear objective of replacing Riley with Frost, even before a new AD was hired. Getting Frost to NU was the goal even before Moos was hired.
No. First piece was Harvey stepping aside.

Actually, they were 6-0, had made a name by beating BIG 10 Maryland, Cincinnati, and Memphis...that's as tough a run as their schedule had. After Riley was crushed by Ohio State and fell to 3-4, Moos was hired the next day to fire and replace him, barring an unexpected and unaided resurgence. Frost at that point, simply because of his Nebraska roots was the absolute #1 target. No fans or boosters would criticize an SF hire, as long as UCF didn't completely fall apart at seasons end. The administration opened the checkbook, told Moos to "get Frost" if at all possible.

Clearly, Moos is fond of an open checkbook policy and performed the easiest miracle ever by landing Frost to his dream job, with the help of Frost's best friend, his idol/Mentor, and an extremely generous compensation package. Of course, Frost had to express how tough it was to leave his undefeated Knights and the perfect weather. That was, I'm sure, tough to leave for the uncertainly of rebuilding a dynasty back in Lincoln. But when someone offers you your dream job, and gives you more wealth than you can spend, and the associated family security for generations...he was NEVER turning it down for any other job.
Yeah, that easy. Just like Jeff Bromm leaving Purdue for Louisville :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, that easy. Just like Jeff Bromm leaving Purdue for Louisville :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Brohm was just happy to be living outside of Kentucky. BTW, did Brohm win a national title at Louisville? Did he play for a legend? Had he called Louisville his "dream job" for years?

Last edited:
I don't disagree with most of what you say and by mid October it was very palpable that the fans, state, university, regents, president, chancellor, students, and college football in general could see it. SF was 6-0 and looking good doing it, MR was 3-4 and struggling. A mandate does not have to be a direct order, I am not going to argue over semantics but Moos had one. Think politician, emphasis mine...

2. the authority to carry out a policy or course of action, regarded as given by the electorate to a candidate or party that is victorious in an election.
"a sick leader living beyond his mandate"
I like him as AD and really like that he got after the commissioner of the Pac12. Moxie, SF has it too. Love it.
https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/o...2018/11/pac-12-larry-scott-leftout-part1.html

True he ran up a tab at WSU but it appears to be paying off. WSU with a good win and near $8M payout yesterday, maybe what Moos did will be a solid long-term investment in the Football program and Cougar athletics overall. I just hope he keeps everything above board, do that and I see good things in NU's future.

C
Wow, that's an interesting article! Thanks for sharing that. It fills out the picture for me as to why Moos most likely got out of Wazzu. If the #1 criticism of Moos' AD experience at Wazzu was that he racked up a lot of debt, wouldn't it rub you raw if your school president is giving you grief for that while propping up this kind of pigs-at-the-trough pork spending in the league offices? If they're stuck with that setup for the next 6 years, any Pac 12 team that can't raise its own funding is screwed.

Thanks, again, for sharing that link.

Actually, they were 6-0, had made a name by beating BIG 10 Maryland, Cincinnati, and Memphis...that's as tough a run as their schedule had. After Riley was crushed by Ohio State and fell to 3-4, Moos was hired the next day to fire and replace him, barring an unexpected and unaided resurgence. Frost at that point, simply because of his Nebraska roots was the absolute #1 target. No fans or boosters would criticize an SF hire, as long as UCF didn't completely fall apart at seasons end. The administration opened the checkbook, told Moos to "get Frost" if at all possible.

Clearly, Moos is fond of an open checkbook policy and performed the easiest miracle ever by landing Frost to his dream job, with the help of Frost's best friend, his idol/Mentor, and an extremely generous compensation package. Of course, Frost had to express how tough it was to leave his undefeated Knights and the perfect weather. That was, I'm sure, tough to leave for the uncertainly of rebuilding a dynasty back in Lincoln. But when someone offers you your dream job, and gives you more wealth than you can spend, and the associated family security for generations...he was NEVER turning it down for any other job.
You make a lot of noise about the amount Frost was paid, like he couldn’t have gotten it anywhere else. That’s not an open checkbook policy, it’s good business.

True he ran up a tab at WSU but it appears to be paying off. WSU with a good win and near $8M payout yesterday, maybe what Moos did will be a solid long-term investment in the Football program and Cougar athletics overall. I just hope he keeps everything above board, do that and I see good things in NU's future. C

That's the part I find interesting about Moos' reputation at WSU. It seems they blame him for leaving the department saddled with debt. But given the state of their facilities at the time, they were likely never going to be competitive over the long term without that kind of investment. So from a purely athletics standpoint, he made the right choice.

I recall when Moos first got hired, that he made comments to the effect that it's great to be a part of a program that has some money to work with. In hindsight, he made some great calls on behalf of WSU. Hoping he can propel us to even greater heights with a better looking balance sheet.

Last edited:
Moos has been great.
He was charged with getting NUFB back near the top, again.

He didn't try to be the smartest guy in the room. He went with the obvious answer.

I don't think SF would have come home unless there had been a clean sweep, from the top on down. So the stars literally aligned for SF to come home.

The entire University is on board with getting the FB program back to national prominence.

We need to get to Top Ten level consistency, and things will align to make a run at a NC.

This.

So yeah, it's easy to say – well, all he had to do was not screw it up. And heck, Matt D. did most of the work.

But it takes a leader with a lot of maturity, and vision – to not let dumb things like ego and selfishness get in his/her way. (All things that have afflicted the football program in recent years.)

Was Moos the only AD who could have brought Frost back? Likely not. But the ultimate point is that he got the job done.

Last edited:
You make a lot of noise about the amount Frost was paid, like he couldn’t have gotten it anywhere else. That’s not an open checkbook policy, it’s good business.
It wasn't just Frost's salary, though given the length of the contract and salary...he got an extraordinary deal. Add in the ability to not only bring his entire staff, but to basically double the assistants salaries too..it is nearly unheard of in CFB. I think its great, and I'm glad that the administration gave Moos the open checkbook, but for anyone to think Moos could've failed when he was able to offer the virtual "World's Fair" to SF, or that SF would have turned it down is laughable.

Here's the fake transcript of the Moos/Frost meeting:

Moos: Scott, it's great to finally get a chance to sit down and speak with you. As you know, Matt has been keeping me up to speed but, obviously, I prefer a face to face.

SF: Yeah, it was time to do this. I've had several discussions with Matt and that great man (referring to TO) and they tell me that things have finally changed in Lincoln and that the administration is ready to do whatever is necessary to rebuild the program to greatness, is that right?

Moos: Yes, it is. Tell me Scott, what will it take to get you to Lincoln?

SF: Well Bill, you know I've got a great deal going at UCF and a lot of other offers.

Moos: I also know that Nebraska is your dream job and I'm here to help you get it.

SF: Ok, well my family comes first...Nebraska will be a big challenge, I'll need a lot of autonomy and time.

Moos: You have my assurance that I won't meddle in the football program and will assist you getting your work done however I can.

SF: I'll need at least a 5 year contract.

Moos: How does a 7 year contract sound, Scott?

SF: That'll work. I know I've only been a HC for 2 years but I'll need a salary commensurate with the importance of the job. I'm thinking $4 million.

Moos: Let's make it $5 million, how does that sound, Scott?

SF: Well, OK. Now you know there will be a greater chance for success if I get to bring all of my assistants.

Moos: I understand. You can hire whomever you prefer.

SF: Great...but, you know that to get them to come here, they'll need big raises. I'm thinking as much as 50% over their current salaries.

Moos: Fine, in fact you're authorized to pay even more than that...double their salaries if you think that's what it will take.

SF: Great.

Moos: Anything else?

SF: No, that covers it.

Moos: Thanks Scott, Folks forgot to tell me what a tough negotiator you are.

Last edited:

for anyone to think Moos could've failed when he was able to offer the virtual "World's Fair" to SF, or that SF would have turned it down is laughable.
Only because you seem to think SF is a liar and that $$ is the only thing that matters to SF, and everyone else.

I understand if $$ is only thing that's important to you, because you don't seem to have a real job, but decent people want more satisfaction from their job than just $$.

Last edited:

Only because you seem to think SF is a liar and that $$ is the only thing that matters to SF, and everyone else.

I understand if $$ is only thing that's important to you, because you don't seem to have a real job, but decent people want more satisfaction from their job than just $$.
Actually, I don't think SF is all about the money. I think he'd have come home for a lot less, because he is proud of being a Nebraskan and a Husker. He is a very loyal guy, who'd have probably taken less just to get back here as HC. That's why I love the guy...he'll earn every penny.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back