• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WR coach Keith Williams gets 30 days in jail for his DUI

Well.... I kind of agree with you, but I think the vast majority of people take "don't drink and drive" seriously no matter what the potential legal consequences. You may be right, though about those whose weakness allows them to immorally put others at so great a risk. I'd love to see universally serious consequences in the hope a serious disruption of their lives will be a deterrent.

If I was a judge and someone with 5 DUIs was standing in front of me, I'd be thinking, this is a murderer. He just hasn't done it yet.
Yeah, I think you're right that most people are on board. But those aren't really the ones we need to worry about. How do we get through to repeat offenders? I don't necessarily have the answer, but mixed signals can't be helping.

Glad to see he "got time". Hope he's done getting behind the wheel when he's been drinking or getting in the car of someone else who's been drinking.

I have a 14 year old grand daughter just learning to drive. Do not want drunk drivers on the road, ----------period. No one should be above the law, regardless of their celebrity or position in society.

This could be a great teaching opportunity for Coach K.W. if he takes his sentence with dignity and moves on in a positive direction afterwards.

He is a good man.

GBR!

I have a 14 year old grand daughter just learning to drive. Do not want drunk drivers on the road, ----------period. No one should be above the law, regardless of their celebrity or position in society.
Who said they should. No one on this board. It seems like the sentence whether in jail or at home with monitoring is in line with typical NE criminal law. The only treatment he may get is moving the sentence after the spring game. That is also not abnormal. I had friends back home who got sentences of 14 days in jail. They were allowed to serve them over 7 weekends so as not to affect their job. So where exactly do you think he has received special treatment?

A couple of comments. First I don't think that jail time cures anyone of alcoholism, and I think many DUIs are a result of that disease (My personal opinion is that repeated DUIs are committed by alcoholics). So stick them in jail since it gives some us some satisfaction -- we punished that guy -- but don't confuse that with making them less likely to drive drunk again. Second, getting a buzz on impairs your ability to drive safely, so "I just had a couple of drinks" can also kill innocent people in the other car. I don't think anyone should drive after even one drink. And finally, what is this with teaching 14 year old kids to drive? I assume that is for emergency situations, not to permit them to drive at that age to the store and get a carton of milk.

The sentence seems lenient to me, or at least in comparison to a friend of mine in Iowa. He was sentenced to 10 months for 3rd offense DUI, and spent 4 months in a minimum security prison before he was released last month.

The sentence seems lenient to me, or at least in comparison to a friend of mine in Iowa. He was sentenced to 10 months for 3rd offense DUI, and spent 4 months in a minimum security prison before he was released last month.
What was the period over which he got the DUIs? If I recall KW were spread out over a 12 year period. The last of which was 7 years prior to this one. That can and should make a difference as to severity.

I believe both attorneys, defense and prosecuting, commented to the LJS that they were "in line" with what is happening in the state.

What was the period over which he got the DUIs? If I recall KW were spread out over a 12 year period. The last of which was 7 years prior to this one. That can and should make a difference as to severity.

IIRC 2004 and 2009. You are correct.

IIRC, the first one was in the 80's and the second one was about 15 years ago. BTW, my friend said that the prosecutor seemed surprised by the length of the sentence.

Last edited:
Drunk drivers should definitely come to Colorado! Even after finally joining almost all of the rest of the country and making multiple DUIs a felony, we almost never give jail time!

A guy last summer was sentenced to one year of work release plus probation for his 5th conviction. It was his 7th arrest, so apparently we give a couple of mulligans just to be nice!

This lovely woman was finally sentenced to 60 days in jail. We should feel sorry for her. It was only her 7th conviction. :(

ashby-capito.jpg

The best part is, just last summer she was quoted in the press as saying Aspen's drug court, which is supposed to give you rehabilitation instead of punishment, "Had saved her life." A month later she crashed into a home with twice the legal limit of alcohol in her blood.

We might as well leave loaded guns hidden around schools and have easter egg hunts.

Sorry, this issue kind of gets my ire up. Nebraskans should be glad if their legal system is a little tougher than ours out here. And glad if Williams has to pay his debt like any other of these idiots.
I just had a friend of a friend spend 30 days in jail. It was either his first or second offense. I had another friend spend 30 days in jail on a first offense. I'm here in Denver.

They should have locked the a$$wipe up for life

Last edited:

Well I guess Williams can put a 30 day stint on his resume for coaching at Penn State oops I mean State Pen

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back