• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Wolf

A little too preachy and draws some false conclusions. But still interesting.

A few thoughts from an overthinker:
  1. Why a lone wolf? Wolves (like dogs and people) are pack animals and hierarchical in nature.
  2. Dogs easily go feral and, especially the large ones, can be very dangerous and attack people, livestock and other dogs and animals.
  3. Some people have domesticated wolves.
  4. Perhaps a logical explanation is that this wolf was perhaps a domesticated wolf that went feral or stray.
The best explanation I've seen of the origin of dogs isn't that man "domesticated" wolves; but that certain wolves naturally self selected hanging out with people as scavengers of discarded food, etc. in a symbiotic relationship. A strain comfortable around people developed; the dogs naturally in protecting selves protect the tribe, too. Eventually the tribe finds that they can train the dogs to do certain tasks.

Was trying to find the article on origin of dogs. Could not find, but found this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/28/science/red-eastern-gray-wolves.html?_r=0

The first large study of North American wolf genomes has found that there is only one species on the continent: the gray wolf. Two other purported species, the Eastern wolf and the red wolf, are mixes of gray wolf and coyote DNA, the scientists behind the study concluded.

...later...

What really sets Eastern wolves and red wolves apart, the researchers found, is a large amount of coyote DNA in their genomes.

The new study revealed that coyotes and North American wolves shared a remarkably recent common ancestor. Scientists had previously estimated their ancestor lived a million years ago, but the new study put the figure at just 50,000 years ago.

That is a massive animal when compared to that Lab.
Yep, I didn't really think about that until you pointed it out.

Full grown larger wolves are pretty darn big.

I do think Labs tend to be stocky for their height, but I didn't realize the height difference was that great. Even looking at the stats on Rottweilers there is a big difference in height.

Cute isn't a word I'd use to describe wolves.

Last edited:

I thought the parents who had their little kids right there, near the wolf, were stupid. That is still a wild animal even if it seemed friendly.
yep. It's an interesting, feel-good story/phenomenon, and I don't fault the adults for wanting to let their guard down around it, but having kids among it just tempting fate. I wouldn't do that with a domesticated dog that doesn't have an owner.

Yep, I didn't really think about that until you pointed it out.

Full grown larger wolves are pretty darn big.

I do think Labs tend to be stocky for their height, but I didn't realize the height difference was that great. Even looking at the stats on Rottweilers there is a big difference in height.

Cute isn't a word I'd use to describe wolves.
I would.
But I use the same word to describe snakes, spiders and scorpions.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back