• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Winning the west: Who must step up on offense?

I think Warner is only going to get better. He will never be a 1000 yard receiver. I mean he caught 17 balls last year, he probably doubles that next year for 300 or so yards. I look for the TE to be much more involved next year. Last year TE caught 27 balls and 21 were caught by Stoll. I can see that number double next year.

I think the catches will be a lot more spread out next year. Spielman will get his 70 catches, but I think Morgan's 70 get divided up more. I don't see any receiver other than Spielman has more than 40 catches next year. But I could see 4-5 guys with 35-40 catches.
Agree. Looking forward to what Legrone brings to the TE group.

If there is one thing I hate about our roster... no 6'3, 6'4 215 guy with a little giddy-up on the outside. Yes, those guys are hard to find but I sure hope that the big athletic TEs we have make up for not having a Morgan that can go up and get the ball on a 45 yard under thrown go route.

Last edited:
I think Warner is only going to get better. He will never be a 1000 yard receiver. I mean he caught 17 balls last year, he probably doubles that next year for 300 or so yards. I look for the TE to be much more involved next year. Last year TE caught 27 balls and 21 were caught by Stoll. I can see that number double next year.

I think the catches will be a lot more spread out next year. Spielman will get his 70 catches, but I think Morgan's 70 get divided up more. I don't see any receiver other than Spielman has more than 40 catches next year. But I could see 4-5 guys with 35-40 catches.
Good stuff. I agree with TE involvement but that has only been an off-season dream for the last 10 years. When news of Jurgens moving to O-Line hit I was strangely excited again about TE play. No negativity towards Jurgens, its just that if HCSF raves about Jurgens athletic ability for his offense and then approves of him moving to O-Line, we must have the talent that we need at TE for 2019.

As my poll this morning asked, there are 4 spots where we lost starters from 2018 that we must replace in 2019. The biggest piece of the puzzle is back, in sophomore to be Adrian Martinez. But we certainly lose some big pieces in WR Stanley Morgan, RB Devine Ozigbo, C Tanner Farmer, and G Jerald Foster. To see the results of the public poll, go here:
https://forum.huskermax.com/index.p...-for-an-offensive-replacement-in-2019.108836/

I will breakdown what I think is the most vital piece from 2018 to replace for 2019, give what I think the replacements could be, and have you all argue with me from there.

1) Replacing center Tanner Farmer
- I know this was heavily contested on the poll, but I agree with how this ended in the vote, our offense really started clicking once we moved Farmer to center. Now, you could also talk about how Martinez finally got healthy and our QB run game was finally able to be used at close to full capacity. But Farmer struggled at times at guard, and really came into his own at center for us in my opinion. Dating back to even before Frost being here, a viable center has been the difference in us having elite offenses, or mediocre ones. I also feel that in Frost's offense, he is able to scheme and put our skill position players in great spots. Where with our center/OL players they can scheme somewhat, but you just have to get it done. It's my biggest concern for our offense in 2019, not only from losing Farmer, but to what we have to replace. That's my biggest concern, not a ton of "center talent" sitting there or signed in the recruiting class. Here's what we have so far:

Hunter Miller 6'4" 325 pound sophomore - To me, this is who gets the nod to start the spring. A guy that was pushing Cole Conrad for the start in the fall, he has to be your go to to start spring practices. All that said, Miller was in a dog fight to start, but in Conrad's absence we moved Farmer down to center and inserted Boe Wilson at RG. Another year in Duval's S&C system, another year in Frost's offense, he could improve by leaps and bounds for 2019.

Cam Jurgens 6'3" 270 pound RFreshman - Moving to center from tightend, the staff is really high on this kid. So much that some are predicting him the starter for 2019. For me, I have a hard time with that, and think it goes back to what I said from when we recruited him, and he just doesn't fit the skillset needed to be TE in Frost's offense, but was an elite blocker. With those things in mind, I think they are trying to get him somewhere to utilize his best skills. However, he was a 245 pound recruit, so he is going to need to put on 50+ pounds in 2 years to handle B1G NGs in my opinion. A tall task. Not that he can't do it, i'll take a 4 star going after that job all day. I just think it's tough to get done with him having less than a year at that position by the time fall camp comes around. I've also seen him take zero snaps at center, and the staff moved him there for a reason, could be another pleasant surprise.

Will Farniok 6'3" 300 pounds - Everyone seems to forget that one of our starters on the line has a brother that is here working for playing time. Farniok has the ability to play guard as well, but honestly I haven't seen enough out of him to know his chances. The position is open for the taking.

Desmond Bland 6'4" 300 pound JUCO recruit - A recruit who is not yet signed, this is who has been rumored to be the starting center in 2019. But all of a sudden he's not able to be here for the spring, and there's still concerns he won't get here at all. Bland getting here gives us a ton of options, and gives us one less spot to worry about, because if he can get here and you have the other two mentioned, Coach Austin and Frost can piece something that works together IMO.

Good read ***. It is a good sign on the O-Line when changes are made mid-season and positive results are seen. Hopefully Farmer's selfless senior ownership of center and the results on film will provide the necessary off-season motivation for all the young O-Line talent/studs in the room.

Morgan, with Ziggy running a close second.

The o line (for better or worse) isn't going to be dominant or considered a strength of the team for at least a few more years, so play calling and skill players are going to have to rule the day until that happens. Morgan was clutch in so many was as was Ozigbo down the stretch. We've got some quality backs waiting for their chance already in the system, but I don't see another Stan The Man roaming the sidelines just yet. Tough kid to replace.

.......but I don't see another Stan The Man roaming the sidelines just yet. Tough kid to replace.

I don't think he'll replace Morgan and is a different kind of player but Robinson showing well at the all star game makes me less concerned. I wondered if he was that good or just playing a lower level of competition. That he showed out all week and seemed pretty natural as a receiver against the best in the country convinces me he will keep defenses from being able to focus on Spielman, especially with the versatility he and Washington possess.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back