• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Winners and losers.

Breon Dixon was active and made some good plays.

Also Dashion Neal (sp?) caused some havoc and had his name called several times.

Tackling in general wasn’t perfect but I think was a step up from the last few years.

Will Honas had a couple tackles, but has been described as swimming a bit and looked it.
great post! What I saw also. Dixon was flying around, even saw he whiff on a tackle but over ran it and didn't "hesitate" himself out of position like our defense has seemed to do the last 2-3 years. He did get a few off sides as you could tell he wanted to get after it.

Nostradamus says .....

kGobzlE.png

Greg Bell was a winner for me. He was the best running back on the field today. He and Wilbon are listed at almost the same size, but they look so different.

The receiving corps looked good as well. Didn't see a rash of dropped passes.

Jerald Foster was a "loser" to me today. He looked slow and lacked aggression in the run game. He needs to play through the whistle and be willing to get a little dirty. He has some work to do with Duval this summer. Other linemen were hit or miss at times, and maybe some of that comes with not having a complete understanding of the system.

Another "winner" was Adrian Martinez. For a true freshman to come out and look that composed is good news.

The biggest winner today? Toss up between Scott Frost and the fans. I think Frost probably had some butterflies being back in front of this crowd, and getting that out of the way was good. The fans got what we have been craving for quite a while.

Greg Bell was a winner for me. He was the best running back on the field today. He and Wilbon are listed at almost the same size, but they look so different.

The receiving corps looked good as well. Didn't see a rash of dropped passes.

Jerald Foster was a "loser" to me today. He looked slow and lacked aggression in the run game. He needs to play through the whistle and be willing to get a little dirty. He has some work to do with Duval this summer. Other linemen were hit or miss at times, and maybe some of that comes with not having a complete understanding of the system.

Another "winner" was Adrian Martinez. For a true freshman to come out and look that composed is good news.

The biggest winner today? Toss up between Scott Frost and the fans. I think Frost probably had some butterflies being back in front of this crowd, and getting that out of the way was good. The fans got what we have been craving for quite a while.
Well said.

Jacob Weinmaster must have had about 15 tackles for the White team. Nice effort from him. He will give us some nice depth at LB.

Lot's of kids had excellent games, but Weinmaster surprised me a little. Nose for the ball and plays tough. He'll push for playing time and like you'd mentioned, be a great backup regardless.

I liked a lot of what I saw.

More aggressive on both sides of the ball, more energy, more confidence in what they're doing and this is very early in the process.

Winners? Us (the fan base), top of the heap, no question. Martinez, McQuitty, Bell, Stoll all looked good, but much of the team did. I had expected the Gebbia-v-Martinez battle to be a little lop sided at this point in the process....but I thought the kid with one year on campus already would have a leg up. It's way to early to call the competition over, but I'm please we have at good, solid options going into fall. Good receiving, running back and tight end groups. Lots to be positive about on the offensive side of the ball. The d looks more aggressive as well, but compared to last year's group I don't know how it couldn't. I'll be interested to see the line play with Stoltenberg back in the middle and the full menu of stunts, twists, etc. on the table.

Losers? Anyone not wanting Nebraska to play good football again. Some of the o-line still looks a little soft and passive. Didn't take notes on names, but I still see room for improvement there. Overall not a lot.

Good times ahead. Good times.

WINNERS:
2018 Husker Crew led by SF

LOSERS:
2017 Husker Crew led by MR

Pretty much this. The bar is raised right now.

There isn't a single chosen starter, especially in the offense. Take the holds away and they don't score a quarter of the points yesterday. It was pretty rough on that side of the ball.

The defense is currently caught in the learning curve. Guys were jumping into the wrong alignments in coverage and were not feeling the sense of urgency to close ranks in space. We need more talent on D as it is or we'll be lucky to reach .500 with this squad. Some strong individual flashes of brilliance, but the same guys freelanced themselves out of the play at other times. That's not what we need.

My single biggest concern right now is the special teams, especially the return teams. I hope its only a sign of how proportionately little relative time they spent on it in spring.

IMHO these are the guys that impressed and depressed today.
WINNERS
Tristan Gebbia
Adrian Martinez
Mcquitty
Ozigbo
Reimers
LOSERS (by this I mean guys that lost traction. I do not mean they are losers.)
Vedral
Wilbon

There were other guys that bordered on one or the other. But these stood out to me.
Curious about your placement of Ozigbo and Wilbon. If anything, I'd have them reversed, though I think I'd put them both in the Losers side since neither stood out and both are upper classmen.

Wilbon looked the better runner, though his pass pro leaves a lot to be desired. Ozzie had the lowest YPC (2.2) while tying Wilbon with number of carries (10). Wilbon averaged 5.4 on the same number of carries. Ozzie did catch 2 passes for 23 yards; I don't recall if Wilbon was targeted or not.

I'd add Stoll and Bell to the winners column.

Curious about your placement of Ozigbo and Wilbon. If anything, I'd have them reversed, though I think I'd put them both in the Losers side since neither stood out and both are upper classmen.

Wilbon looked the better runner, though his pass pro leaves a lot to be desired. Ozzie had the lowest YPC (2.2) while tying Wilbon with number of carries (10). Wilbon averaged 5.4 on the same number of carries. Ozzie did catch 2 passes for 23 yards; I don't recall if Wilbon was targeted or not.

Rafdal, Englehaupt and probably Hohenstein all looked like winners too. Bo Kittrell is also listed at TE. Good time to be a TE ;)

Wilbon went down every time on first contact. Also he seemed to be waddling more than running. whereas OZ aways fell forward and had a couple nice runs.

Wilbon went down every time on first contact. Also he seemed to be waddling more than running. whereas OZ aways fell forward and had a couple nice runs.
Ozzie is tough to bring down when running straight ahead. Not sure we'll be doing much of that. I'm not enamored with either Ozigbo or Wilbon. I think they'll both trickle down the depth chart in the fall.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back