• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will Tre Bryant begin to emerge as a sophomore as Roy Helu did?

Will Tre Bryant begin to emerge as a sophomore as Roy Helu did?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Bryantt emerge as Helu did? Well, lets think about this.

In 2015 when MR arrived Devine Ozigbo averaged 5.5 yards per carry (ypc). Last year he only averaged 4.6 yards per carry. That is a downward trend. Terrell Newby averaged 5.2 ypc in 2015 but then only averaged 4.2 ypc in 2016...which is also a downward trend.

But yes Tre Byant who only averaged 4.0 ypc in 2016 will become a superstar this year, average 6.5 ypc carry and run for more than 2,000 yards. And Tanner Lee will surely throw for more than 5,000 yards this season. In the end we will beat tOSU by 20 points and win the Big 10.

I am very excited.

Welcome back. :Unsure:

C

tre bryant had remarkably similar statistics to roy helu in his freshman campaign. Roy emerged as a sophomore while sharing time, will Tre Bryant do the same?

Freshman year:
Roy Helu - 50 touches - 249 yards
Tre Bryant - 51 touches - 228 yards

Sophomore year:
Roy Helu - 150 touches - 1069 yards
What makes you think he'll get 150 touches?

It does amaze me how some think NU is going all Mike Leach this year. They are going to average 68 passes and 12 draw plays a game. :rolleyes: It should be pretty close to a 50/50 split. I do agree that the way they rotate backs is not condusive to getting into a groove running the ball. I don't think that BP's team did a good job of it either.

The run game is going to be fine. It is not going to be 350 per game like most want it to be, but I would think it would approach 200 a game.
So about half of that 350 mark?

What this thread tells me is: we don't run the option predominantly anymore, and don't feature running anymore. Boo hoo. Get over it, if we suck with a pass first offense feel free to complain. We aren't going back to a run heavy offense, get over it or get with a new team. There are very few successful teams that are run heavy on offense. If you like that style maybe there is a new team for you. If you are a Husker fan and support the team, you will get with our offense and defense as it is. It's okay to move on based on preferences. I won't judge, but others might :)
This is a mean post. Do you honestly presume to tell long-time fans to go find another team to support? What gives you that right; your own fervent desire to watch an NFL-style offense in Lincoln?

If you are a Husker fan you should know the history and legacy of this team. Fans will not be happy with Riley's historical predisposition unless it is wildly successful, imo.

Will 9-4 be enough for the fan base?

In 2015 if you were a defense playing against NE. Your best bet was to stack the box because TA throwing was a 50/50 proposition even if the WR was wide open. You also had a better than average chance to get an int.

As many have said already. With a QB who can read a defense and complete a pass. Teams will have to back off. That should open up running lanes and increase YPc.
Remains to be seen.

Yeah they like to throw the ball, they also like to win. They will run and throw the ball. It won't be a 80/20 split running the ball, like Nebraska of old. It won't be 80/20 split passing either. It will be pretty close to 50/50.

Yes Leach is pretty effective, but you don't like his style of game. Now you just need to get to a point where you realize MR offense can be effective even if it is not what you want.
60-40 and probably closer to 70-30.

Look how much they threw it w Tommy? You think they are gonna throw it less w his guy? I don't.

No, they won't throw it less with Tanner Lee.

But they did not throw it a lot with Tommy. They threw it a lot more when we were playing from far behind. When Nebraska was in control or very much in the game, there was a much greater tendency to run.

Last season, Nebraska ran the ball on 57.7% of the plays and passed on 43.3%.

However, in the three losses that weren't all that close (Ohio State, Iowa, Tennessee), Nebraska passed much more. 57.4% pass, 42.6% run. Obviously, that's not the situation we want to be in. But, that's football. Teams do tend to pass more when playing from behind. And I'm also sure the Ryker Fyfe factor came into play in these games. But the one game Fyfe started that we won -- Maryland -- we ran the ball 45 times and passed 37.

Now, in all other games last season (8 wins and the heartbreaking loss to Wisconsin), Nebraska ran the ball on 60.4% of the plays and passed on 39.6%.

I saw plenty last season to suggest this staff would like to run the ball. And if we are winning, I don't believe we'll suddenly turn into a pass-heavy offense. It may not be 60-40 run-to-pass -- but I believe there will be more run plays than pass plays this season (unless we are getting beaten soundly on a frequent basis).

Tell us more about those fumbles you remember. I'd like to go back and check them out online, because while I remember a few fumbles by Tre, a few were the result of bizarrely thrown screen passes that he somehow managed to catch just before bring creamed by the defense. I think one was on a KO return, but am not sure. But, since they are so clear in your mind, perhaps, you could point me in the right spots to see them.

I went back through each game's play-by-play. Bryant did not play vs. Fresno. He had a fumble in his first 3 few carries vs. WY, and in another few attempts vs. Oregon, had another fumble. While neither was lost, that's putting the ball on the ground at WAY too high a clip.

By comparison, DPE had two fumbles last year, TA 4, Newby 1, Ozigboo 1, Wilbon 1, Team 1.

While two isn't too bad, those two fumbles were in his first 7-10 touches as a husker. He would been on a milk carton under TO. Bryant did not see action for a few weeks after those early touches. He shows up again in the Play-by-play later in the season.

As an aside, NU did a much better job overall, of taking care of the ball. They had 5 games last year (in conference, mind you), where they didn't fumble once.

NU had 16 total fumbles, and lost 5 in 2016.

Yes, throwing the ball more will undoubtedly make the running game stronger.......

As will our new dedication to mental accountability.

"With the proper application of mental accountability, this could become one of the greatest Husker teams of all time!"

jerry-lewis-nutty.jpg

Last edited:

I believe he'll be the primary RB this year. what makes you think he won't get 150 touches?
I think Mike likes RB by committee, and I was primarily speaking of carries. Add in his receptions and he'll get 150. Which is fine, I guess. I like Bryant and I think he can put up 1,000+ if he gets enough carries.

I just have this vivid memory of a RB under Callahan who was a fantastic receiver. Memory fails, but I could see both Wilbon and Bryant echo that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back