• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Will running ability hold bigger sway?

nchusker

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
in battle for starting qb will running ability hold bigger sway if almost equal passing? This is an exciting competition. By accounts I’ve read Bunch is a very good 3rd option.

At least two coaches have talking, in the last week alone, about the nod going to the QB that runs the offense most efficiently...no turnovers, get the ball to playmakers in space. With the stacked RB and WR rooms, it makes some sense...at least early.

Based on what Frost has said, the guy who does the best job protecting the football will be starting.

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_6f6de5f6-67d2-55bf-a29f-08f7b7786d8b.html
Saturday night, I asked DiNardo if he saw distinct differences in the QBs' way of operating.

“I guess you could say Martinez runs a little better and all that, but they don’t want to run their quarterback a bunch; they want to threaten the defense with the quarterback run," said DiNardo, who made stops as a head coach at Vanderbilt (1991-94), LSU (1995-99) and Indiana (2002-04).

Statistics back his statement. In Frost's five seasons as a play-caller, the high watermark for average carries for a quarterback came in 2014, when Marcus Mariota ran the ball nine times per game at Oregon.

“To me, the new trend is pass-first dual-threat quarterbacks," DiNardo said. "That’s where the game’s going. That’s where the pros are going, and that’s what the kids want to do. A quarterback doesn’t want to be an option quarterback nowadays. J.T. Barrett didn’t want to be an option quarterback at Ohio State, but he was a better runner than he was passer. But quarterbacks don’t want to be that guy. Nobody wants to be Tommy Armstrong anymore.

“They want to throw the ball, and receivers want to catch it."

A QB that runs enough in the BIG is unlikely to finish the season in one piece. We've seen bigger and stronger QB's get taken out including one of ours. I honestly believe with the smash mouth style football played in the BIG not sure how many carries I want to see our QB taking?

It's why we have an excellent stable of RB's of which we'll probably need this season.........

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back