• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why NU is still projected in the 68-team field

Sofa King

Recruit
2 Year Member
Here's the thing that no one understands in February 2019...

The Committee has publicly stated that they will rely upon their new NET rankings as part of the selection process...not the RPI, not the BPI, not KenPom...just the NET. And because the NET appears to highly value margin of victory in non-con games, DONU has had...and continues to have...an outrageously high NET ranking. We are currently #38. See here:

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Therefore, going 3-2 over the last five and 1-1 in Chicago...placing us at 19-14...may very well be enough to sneak into The Dance. Again, THE QUESTION IS how heavily will The Committee rely upon their own rankings. This is the first year of the NET so there's no history as a guide.

One last thing, here's a terrific article that explains the NET and its apparent flaws. It also mentions DONU, specifically. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...em-that-will-shake-up-who-makes-march-madness

Here's the thing that no one understands in February 2019...

The Committee has publicly stated that they will rely upon their new NET rankings as part of the selection process...not the RPI, not the BPI, not KenPom...just the NET. And because the NET appears to highly value margin of victory in non-con games, DONU has had...and continues to have...an outrageously high NET ranking. We are currently #38. See here:

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Therefore, going 3-2 over the last five and 1-1 in Chicago...placing us at 19-14...may very well be enough to sneak into The Dance. Again, THE QUESTION IS how heavily will The Committee rely upon their own rankings. This is the first year of the NET so there's no history as a guide.

One last thing, here's a terrific article that explains the NET and its apparent flaws. It also mentions DONU, specifically. https://bleacherreport.com/articles...em-that-will-shake-up-who-makes-march-madness

I'll believe it when I see it! I doubt they "allow" DONU in because of the NET. As long as we are a football school, and not a basketball school, I don't believe we get the benefit of the "Net"!!

As my wife says, "I'm just sayin'"!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

NET - I thought this was a ranking brought to you by Nebraska public television. I figured thats why we were so high....NU games could be replayed the next day after Sesame street.

Last edited:
We barely deserve the NIT at this point, and as much as I'd love to see us dancing, there are so many other deserving teams as of this point in the season. This NET ranking stuff be damned. We, as much as I wanted it to be earlier in the season, are not a top 68 team, let alone a #38 team right now.

Yesterday (pre PsU disaster) CBS had NU as the #2 seed in the NIT, DRatings had NU as the #1 seed in the NIT.

final four games against ranked opponents + a quick B1G tourney exit - absent of a serious turn of events - this team finishes on a losing streak, with a losing record & stays home this post season IMO :Sign2cents:

I can't wait for those NET rankings to update! 38th prior to last night's game ... drubbed by lowly Penn State will probably drop us to .... 39.

:Bow::Lol:

It's brand new ... we have no clue how much stock the committee will put into it. But they aren't putting a team into the dance because their NET rating says -- when every other input says "no way, no how."

Nebraska isn't even close to the bubble.

While I understand every season is different, so we can't really compare to last season -- but -- this team is nowhere near the level of last season's. 22 overall wins. 13 wins in the conference. While the reason the committee left us out was lack of quality wins -- we did beat eventual national runner-up, Michigan, by 20 midseason. We don't anything like that this season. And heck, I believe we were a 4-seed in the NIT last year.

The only remaining question is NIT or home. But it's also quite possible the team declines an NIT invite -- as Moos focuses on firing Miles and hiring a replacement.

Last edited:

I can't wait for those NET rankings to update! 38th prior to last night's game ... drubbed by lowly Penn State will probably drop us to .... 39.

:Bow::Lol:

It's brand new ... we have no clue how much stock the committee will put into it. But they aren't putting a team into the dance because their NET rating says -- when every other input says "no way, no how."

Nebraska isn't even close to the bubble.

While I understand every season is different, so we can't really compare to last season -- but -- this team is nowhere near the level of last season's. 22 overall wins. 13 wins in the conference. While the reason the committee left us out was lack of quality wins -- we did beat eventual national runner-up, Michigan, by 20 midseason. We don't anything like that this season. And heck, I believe we were a 4-seed in the NIT last year.

The only remaining question is NIT or home. But it's also quite possible the team declines an NIT invite -- as Moos focuses on firing Miles and hiring a replacement.
Nebraska in NIT = Michael Lewis interim-head coach goes on amazing run!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back