• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Why expansion of the 4 team CFP isn't needed.

Hville

Blackshirt
5 Year Member
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nc-state-ncaa-tournament-committee-snub-debbie-yow-net-003509081.html For those people who believe we will settle a fairness issue of who got left out only need to look at the NCAA basketball tournament. NC state has done nothing to prove they are a top tier team and yet their argument is they deserve to be in based on their ranking of approximately 32nd in a field of 68 that got in. That means 36 undeserved teams got in before them.

Do you really believe using automatic conference qualifiers will result in a fair CFP? Do you believe going to a 16 or 32 team playoff format will answer all the arguments of who should be in and who shouldn't. No...….we are just expanding the goal posts of where the arguments are from the 5th placed team to the 33rd place team in an environment that is more predictable than basketball is.

For those that want to argue......"so what if an undeserved team gets in." Well try being NC State when 17-15 ranked Iona got in as the 202nd ranked team. That's right.....202nd. And you are ranked 32nd and can't get in the field of 68. Oh and for the record. Nebraska was 48th and didn't get in that field of 68 meaning at least 20 teams ranked lower than us did.

It will get expanded when the excitement of more big games (ie more playoff rounds) create big $$$$. TV guys and other big shots with their hands in the cookie jar won’t be able to resist.

I do think IF there is to be a playoff the P5 needs to all be in. Yes there may be some years an undeserving team gets in so what that happens now. It also happened when the Bowl system ruled. BYU anyone? You could go to as little as 6. #1 and 2 get a buy. 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5 round 1. Then round two well you get the idea. Either way it still keeps the playoffs to two sets of games. The P5 champs all get in with 1 at large. The key is of all other P5s have at least one loss and there is an undefeated G5 then they get in. Additionally if there are two undefeated G5 the highest rank of the 2 gets in.

I don't think using the basketball tournament as an example for why the CFP should not expand is a sound argument.

C

I don't think using the basketball tournament as an example for why the CFP should not expand is a sound argument.

C
Me either. They def over expanded March madness. 1st round is almost always a joke. Also allowing every pseudo conference to have an auto qualifier is silly. There has been more than once teams with losing records got in.

Fairness shmareness. I don't care about fairness in the CFP. Just make it entertaining. March Madness is wildly entertaining, especially the first round. Anything can happen and there are teams from every corner of the U.S. (I saw where 325 different teams have made the field over the years).

In my view, the CFP would be more entertaining with a rep from every P5 conference, whether they deserve it or not. I mean deserve is pretty hard to define anyway with 130 teams each playing just 12 games, 3 or 4 of which are scheduled entirely because of money.

Me either. They def over expanded March madness. 1st round is almost always a joke. Also allowing every pseudo conference to have an auto qualifier is silly. There has been more than once teams with losing records got in.

If you don't find the first round of the NCAA tourney to be entertaining, you simply don't like college basketball.

If you don't find the first round of the NCAA tourney to be entertaining, you simply don't like college basketball.
Your right I don't. I do not find basketball entertaining since the mid 90s. You know when whoever the superstar is, can do whatever he wants and everyone else fouls out. It has become more soft than soccer. lets watch the superstar flop than the other guy gets called for an technical because the non foul was too hard. go ahead and enjoy the ballet.

Your right I don't. I do not find basketball entertaining since the mid 90s. You know when whoever the superstar is, can do whatever he wants and everyone else fouls out. It has become more soft than soccer. lets watch the superstar flop than the other guy gets called for an technical because the non foul was too hard. go ahead and enjoy the ballet.

Sounds like an assessment of the NBA vs. college basketball. College basketball is still very much a team game.

And soccer at the highest level (Champion's League, EPL, La Liga) is far from soft. But I'm betting you've never actually watched a match from any of those leagues.

Sounds like an assessment of the NBA vs. college basketball. College basketball is still very much a team game.

And soccer at the highest level (Champion's League, EPL, La Liga) is far from soft. But I'm betting you've never actually watched a match from any of those leagues.

Oh great, here comes story time...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back