1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Who was the best/your favorite FB?

Discussion in 'Football' started by Navythomas8, Aug 18, 2018.

1. canadianhusker

canadianhusker Red Shirt 10 Year Member

The one that walked on. Small town kid. From Nebraska.

DuckTownHusker likes this.
  2. Middle-aged_Ball_Coach

Middle-aged_Ball_Coach Red Shirt

Do you mean that one that worked harder than anyone else in practice, lifted weights like it was an addiction, and slowly climbed up the depth chart by sacrificing himself on special teams? Yeah, I loved that guy, too. We need more of those.

Farmer Jake and DuckTownHusker like this.
  3. Pops

Pops I have squandered my resistance 10 Year Member

Cory

Discoverer27 and DuckTownHusker like this.
  4. KleinTxHusker

KleinTxHusker Blackshirt 10 Year Member

I was always disappointed that he quit. I thought he was outstanding. And I think he was better than Schellen.

I remember the story in the OWH; he said that he was fed up with stress and his dad died in middle age of a heart attack (was an engineer with a CO defense contractor) and he decided life was too short. I think he said he was unhappy with the coaches trying other players to try to put pressure on him (and that he felt like he had proven himself) during bowl preparations; so he decided to hang it up.

Your story explains things a little more fully. Two out of three ain't bad; I can understand the first and third...

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  5. KleinTxHusker

KleinTxHusker Blackshirt 10 Year Member

Orduna and Kinney alternated at I-Back in 1970. Orduna missed the 1969 season (would have been Sr Year) due to a knee injury. Kinney started at IB that year as a true Sophomore and had a great year.

Orduna returned in 1970 for senior year and he alternated with Kinney. Orduna also ran a lot of short goal-line plays because of his leaping ability (15 TD vs. 5 for Kinney and Orduna was leading scorer). A sight to behold. He was a very good hurdler, IIRC. Orduna broke a big 67 TD run against USC that gave us the lead. Unfortunately they came back and tied the game. Orduna had 897 yards on 200 carries and Kinney 694 on 159 carries. Kinney a few more receptions (20 vs 11) & receiving yards.

Interesting point. In the TO as OC era, we ran out of the I-formation and the spread.

The spread had a RB lined up directly behind the QB and two flankers. It looked a bit like what TO ran options out of in the 1990's. Who did they line up at RB and who at flanker? I am thinking they had a FB in the RB position and one of the IB moved to flanker. But I really don't recall. I also don't know that we ran that in 1969; I am pretty sure we ran it in 1970 because I remember Bud Wilkinson explaining our multiple formations on the CU game broadcast ('71 was at home, hence I would have been at the game, not watching it on TV).

Another interesting point, Kinney had 590 yards on 191 carries in 1969 as a Sophomore. He had 44 receptions for 455 yards. I always remember him being a good receiver. So in 1970, Kinney and Orduna made a great tag team as Kinney had the same yards on less carries, and combined the two had a whopping 359 carries for over 1,600 yards. Receiving at the position was down slightly.

So anyway, looking at 1969. OI wonder if Mike Green may have played IB (I thought he was a FB and he was listed as such). Green and Schneiss as FBs had pretty good rushing and receiving stats. Larry Frost was also listed as a HB, but I am quite sure he was the starting flanker. Ingles and Frost were the leaders in receptions and yards of your WR/Flanker types. Interesting that Brownson and Tagge had good rushing gain yardage (both lost a fair amount on sacks).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  6. canadianhusker

canadianhusker Red Shirt 10 Year Member

ya him...and his 3 brothers too. one household. a decade of starting fullbacks.

7. DuckTownHusker

DuckTownHusker Blackshirt Sith Lord 5 Year Member

In terms of his overall impact to Husker Nation, the best fullback has gotta be Frankie.

:fs:

Solich earned Ohio all-state, All-America, and all-scholastic honors in high school... scored 104 points but was overlooked due his height (5'7") and weight (153lbs). When he got to his college weigh-in he got his trainer to tape 8 pound weights under his shorts. He now made weight at 162 lbs. He was a part of Bob Devaney’s first recruiting class at Nebraska, and became a standout for the Huskers in the mid-1960s, where he earned the nickname "Fearless Frankie".

8. RMR

RMR Walk On Hero 15 Year Member

Joel

9. Farmer Jake

Farmer Jake Recruit

That description describes more than just fullbacks. But we still need more of those.

10. BubbaGene

BubbaGene Tuff Schist 10 Year Member

So many great ones!

I’ve not seen and may have missed them mentioned :

Maury Damkroger
    Dodie Donell
    Willie Miller

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  11. Hu5k3r

Hu5k3r Red Shirt 2 Year Member

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  12. Middle-aged_Ball_Coach

Middle-aged_Ball_Coach Red Shirt

Yeah, that was at least partly intended. My description pretty much describes every walk-on player who ever started for Osborne, and it seemed like FB and O-line were the places where those guys were most likely to land.

Farmer Jake likes this.
  13. Farmer Jake

Farmer Jake Recruit

So true. Osborne & Co. could get the most out of those players who knew work was needed to improve, and they were willing to do the work with the coaches help.

14. Wisker

Wisker Recruit

I feel that Rathman was the best; I am most a fan of Schlesinger

15. Scott in NY

Scott in NY Recruit

Wasn't that against Nick Foles or was he not there yet?