• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who is the best recruit for each head coach at Nebraska (Devaney to Frost)?

Good thread...

Osborne - whatever I say i'll be wrong
Osborne - Frazier
Solich - Ruud
Callahan - Suh
Pelini - Lavonte David (sidenote, how crazy is it that Maleik Collins was "under the radar" and we got him in January)
Riley - Spielman
Frost - Martinez

Okay - I read this wrong from the OP headline, so I'm going to run with what I read - who was each coach's best recruit to become a coach at Nebraska:

Devaney: Frank Solich (Craig Bohl and Barry Alvarez are pretty impressive at other schools)
Osborne: Scott Frost or Turner Gill (Ryan Held)
Solich: Barrett Ruud (or Greg Austin)
Callahan: Brandon Rigoni (Zach Taylor or Joe Ganz other places)
Pelini: None so far (Tim Marlowe at PSU?)
Riley: Too soon
Frost: Way too soon

Good thread...

Osborne - whatever I say i'll be wrong
Osborne - Frazier
Solich - Ruud
Callahan - Suh
Pelini - Lavonte David (sidenote, how crazy is it that Maleik Collins was "under the radar" and we got him in January)
Riley - Spielman
Frost - Martinez
I was not going to disagree with Frazier, hes a great choice. But i've always said we dominate the 90s with a host of other NU Qbs because those teams were that good overall, regarldess of the QB. You could then open up a can of worms to a whole host of decent opinions beyond TF

I was not going to disagree with Frazier, hes a great choice. But i've always said we dominate the 90s with a host of other NU Qbs because those teams were that good overall, regarldess of the QB. You could then open up a can of worms to a whole host of decent opinions beyond TF
Spot on, and Frazier was hurt for one of the national title seasons. We didn't take the "next level leap" until Frazier got here was my reasoning. But you have a ton of dudes you could list. Signal caller is the easy way out for me.

Last edited:

Spot on, and Frazier was hurt for one of the national title seasons. We didn't take the "next level leap" until Frazier got here was my reasoning. But you have a ton of dudes you could list. Signal caller is the easy way out for me.

One could argue that Turner Gill was what took TO to the next level on the offensive side of the ball. TO's offense took a great leap with TG.... and without TG ...no TF. Moreover, it could be argued that the "next level leap" for the Huskers was really about the change in defensive philosophy. I'll add this. The fast, dominant, mean and nasty defense had a nice counter on the other side of the ball with some of the most dominant mean and nasty offensive lines in college football history. There was a LOT of intimidation from on both sides of the ball. TF was a great and unparalled leader, but it could be argued that he was only a part of what took them to the next level.

One could argue that Turner Gill was what took TO to the next level on the offensive side of the ball. TO's offense took a great leap with TG.... and without TG ...no TF. Moreover, it could be argued that the "next level leap" for the Huskers was really about the change in defensive philosophy. I'll add this. The fast, dominant, mean and nasty defense had a nice counter on the other side of the ball with some of the most dominant mean and nasty offensive lines in college football history. There was a LOT of intimidation from on both sides of the ball. TF was a great and unparalled leader, but it could be argued that he was only a part of what took them to the next level.[/QUOT
You've got lots of choices............an NFL hall of famer in Will Shields, the greatest center in CFB history in Rimington.....RBs like Craig, Rozier and A Green. A first round draft pick and 17 year player, 4 time pro bowler in Irving Fryar and more to go...........honestly Id probably be more keen in Rimington or Shields than Frazier

One could argue that Turner Gill was what took TO to the next level on the offensive side of the ball. TO's offense took a great leap with TG.... and without TG ...no TF. Moreover, it could be argued that the "next level leap" for the Huskers was really about the change in defensive philosophy. I'll add this. The fast, dominant, mean and nasty defense had a nice counter on the other side of the ball with some of the most dominant mean and nasty offensive lines in college football history. There was a LOT of intimidation from on both sides of the ball. TF was a great and unparalled leader, but it could be argued that he was only a part of what took them to the next level.
Depending what you are arguing, yes. I was stating "next level" as in championships.

I kind of think this should be weighted by number of years.

Say one name for every 5 or less years. That would give TO five, BD at least two

With Devaney Johnny Rodgers is probably pretty obvious. Would you include Jerry Tagge? Dave Humm?

With TO, it is hard not to argue for Turner Gill as much as Tommie Frazier.

Maybe we should also include Bill Jennings while we are at it (Bob Brown? or Dennis Claridge?)

Last edited:

Depending what you are arguing, yes. I was stating "next level" as in championships.

Yes, that's how I understood you. Maybe my response was two parts, but I unfortunately muddled it. 1) In response to the original OP and TO's best recruit (and your statement that you could go with a number of dudes) I always thought Gill was the ultimate "get" for TO. Osborne won a key recruiting battle with Switzer, but more importantly, it just seems to me that TO's offensive genius blossomed with TG under center. So I am offering TG up as TO's greatest recruit.....and not TF and in further support of that (2) I've heard discussions/arguments that the getting to the "next level" (championships) was about the defense and not really TF.

I'm with you on Lavonte David. Love AA but David was and is still a STUD.
Would agree, and again depends what you are arguing. Aaron Green went on to be really dangerous at TCU, we would have been fine without Abdullah. But i'm glad we got him. David is a good pick. Having that many tackles and only here for a limited time is crazy.

Awesome thread and thanks for posting!

My awareness of the Big Red program didn't begin until the Orange Bowl Win over LSU. I'll throw four names out there from the end of Devaney's era that ought to have some consideration:

Outland Trophy Winners: Rich Glover and Larry Jacobson
Heisman Trophy Winner: Johnny "The Jet" Rogers
2 x National Champion QB: Jerry Tagge

Last edited:

Pelini: Burkhead

Abdullah was good, but he was no Burkhead. And he fumbled against UCLA at a critical time in Pasadena and it cost us the game.

I don't recall Burkhead costing us games.

Last edited:
Pelini: Burkhead

Abdullah was good, but he was no Burkhead. And he fumbled against UCLA at a critical time in Pasadena and it cost us the game.

I don't recall Burkhead costing us games.

LOL....:Biggrin:. AA also won us a game or two.... right? Burkhead dropped a sure TD in a Texas game....which may have been the difference there.

I think it is a wash WTH. Both were great Huskers in my book.

Are we talking best player (with the benefit of hindsight and current knowledge) or most highly-touted recruit (as ranked at the time)?

In the latter case, it would be Marlon Lucky for Callahan, Baker Steinkuhler for Pelini, Tyjon Lindsay for Riley, and Wandale Robinson for Frost. I don't remember who was the highest-rated Solich recruit (David Horne?).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back