• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who has made the trip to Penn State?

2002 was a nightmare. Drunk students were yelling at my 70+ old mother (at the time) to F off.
2011 was totally different. First game after the Sandusky fiasco. Fans were completely contrite and embarrassed.
I missed the 2013 OT game.

Last edited:

I have been numerous times and will go again this year. Stay in Philly and drive up. About the same distance as between KC and Lincoln. The fans are a holes. They do not just come from Philly they come from Pitt, NYC and Boston. 2002 was bad 2011 was weird and surreal as JoePa had just been fired. Still make it a weekend and go. Engage Ped St fan and have fun with it. You’ll gain their respect. The same goes for Philly fan. A lot of bark but they’re looking for banter. Trust me

Last edited:
I was there for work a year or 2 ago. Agree about tough to get to and minimal lodging. Also agree the campus is nice, has a well maintained vintage feel. The creamery is good too, but it didnt knock my socks off. And they have a Primanti Brothers there, if you've never been i's worth a try.

My buddy is a native born and raised PA guy. Even he says PA people are some of the worse people he has ever seen. (He has lived out west in a few places so he has people to compare to). Who knows? They get ahead 56-0 in the 3rd and they will probably lose interest in NU fans.

Fans are atrocious at Beaver stadium...or at least they were the day I went in Solich era. But that was when beating the huskers actually meant something. It is the worst place I've ever been. Jeered from the moment we arrived until the moment we left. It's a shame because the stadium is nice and the tailgating is nice. Don't expect a lot of bars or restaurants... it's mostly tailgating in happy valley.

Considering how bad the Huskers are and how good Penn State is, they might be a little calmer this year.

Yeah you are probably right about that. That 2002 game was a different time. They were coming off back to back losing seasons but there was a lot of optimism on their part for the '02 season. And it was still a big deal to play Nebraska. We were coming off an appearance in the National title game the previous year. Night game, that white out stuff, blah, blah, blah. I think it was the first time they'd played Nebraska since 1983.

But still, having said all that, ya gotta wonder....So you won what you all considered a big game at the time (NU went on to finish 7-7, PSU finished 9-4)...why does that translate into boorish, abusive treatment towards visiting fans ? :Confused: And I do believe it was bad. I do remember after that game, reports from NU fans who attended were almost unanimously negative.

road tripped there in 1980... found the people Rude A.F.

skip it... or maybe wear orange like Sandusky:Puke:
:Stirthepot:

Last edited:
I have been there 2 times.

State College, PA is a small town with a huge university campus. Parking is easy. Beaver Stadium is located just off campus and is surrounded by large farm fields that the University uses for its agricultural program. The vast fields are used for football parking and they are ideal for tailgating.

They say there are two things one should try while in State College. The university creamery for their ice cream and the Diner, known as "Ye Old Diner" for their sticky buns. A sticky bun is like a very gooey cinnamon roll. They are very good.

I have never been to the creamery but it has been move closer to campus. The Old Diner is in downtown State college, which is easily within walking distance to the stadium.

Once you park at the Stadium, you can easily walk to any State College destination of significance. Like I said, it is a small town.

Lodging: One time stayed at a motel in a small town 40 miles from PSU. It saved me money. The other time I just drove there and back from NJ on the same day. Enjoy!

The Creamery moved from its long-time home in Borland Laboratory location to a new location in the new Food Science Building at the intersection of Curtin Road and Bigler Road in 2006.[9] The new Creamery is closer to Beaver Stadium, the East Residence Halls dormitory complex, and a parking deck. When the move was first announced, there were some student protests, but these protests eventually subsided.[9] There are five Creamery ice cream flavors that have remained the most popular in recent Creamery history: Vanilla, Bittersweet Mint, Peanut Butter Swirl, Peachy Paterno, and Butter Pecan.[9] [9] The new creamery facility has been named the Berkey Creamery, in honor of the Berkey family who donated a large sum of money to the construction of the Food Sciences Building, which includes the new creamery facility.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_University_Creamery

The Old Diner for Sticky Buns:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g53755-d1177784-r78708840-The_Diner-State_College_Pennsylvania.html

The Diner

126 W College Ave, State College, PA 16801-3838

+1 814-238-5590

I have been numerous times and will go again this year. Stay in Philly and drive up. About the same distance as between KC and Lincoln. The fans are a holes. They do not just come from Philly they come from Pitt, NYC and Boston. 2002 was bad 2011 was weird and surreal as JoePa had just been fired. Still make it a weekend and go. Engage Ped St fan and have fun with it. You’ll gain their respect. The same goes for Philly fan. A lot of bark but they’re looking for banter. Trust me

No ! Nebraskans do not trust that crap ! It is not that hard to be civil from the get-go ! I have lived on the east coast and I know that is not how people look at it there. But we don't ! First we will be nice. Aggressive and foul mouthed isn't our go-to opener !

This photo will give you an idea of how close you can park to the stadium. Just drive toward the stadium and attendants will direct you to your parking spot. You will most likely be parking on grass. If it rains it can get muddy in some areas, so be prepared (hiking boots versus tennis shoes).

Like I said, Beaver Stadium is on the edge of the PSU campus and the campus is in the small town of State College. So, after you park at the stadium, everything to see/visit is within is reasonable walking distance.

beaver_stadium03.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah you are probably right about that. That 2002 game was a different time. They were coming off back to back losing seasons but there was a lot of optimism on their part for the '02 season. And it was still a big deal to play Nebraska. We were coming off an appearance in the National title game the previous year. Night game, that white out stuff, blah, blah, blah. I think it was the first time they'd played Nebraska since 1983.

But still, having said all that, ya gotta wonder....So you won what you all considered a big game at the time (NU went on to finish 7-7, PSU finished 9-4)...why does that translate into boorish, abusive treatment towards visiting fans ? :Confused: And I do believe it was bad. I do remember after that game, reports from NU fans who attended were almost unanimously negative.

I was also there for the night game in 2002. The reason PSU fans were so uncivil toward Nebraska fans is because they wanted to show us how upset they were that their undefeated 1994 team did not win or at least get a share of the national championship.

T-shirts with "1994 was bullsh**" was the most popular attire that day.

That should be over. They got it out of their system in 2002. I think PSU fans will be more reasonable now. These days, their most prevailing feeling toward us is probably pity, not anger.

However, since NU has beaten PSU the last 4 times, PSU fans could be charged up and a bit antagonistic for this one. They are going to want to teach us a lesson with their big, bad football team.

I hope we beat them again. I would truly enjoy that.

Last edited:
Got spat on and had a beer thrown at me in '03. Wife called a b**** and she was wearing an Iowa State sweatshirt (I had on my Joel Makovicka jersey on). Closest I had been too getting in a fight until the last Husker game a Jack Trice.

Last edited:
Got spat on and had a beer thrown at me in '02. Wife called a b**** and she was wearing an Iowa State sweatshirt (I had on my Joel Makovicka jersey on). Closest I had been too getting in a fight until the last Husker game a Jack Trice.

Fortunately, I was not wearing red that day, but I saw what was going on. It was ugly.

I hope we beat them for the 5th straight time. I would like NU to become to PSU what Texas became to us.

Last edited:

I had a great experience when I went in 2011.

You'll have to say at least 50-60 miles away unless you want to pay $400 for a night at a Days Inn. One thing I learned is to give yourself at least twice as much time as you'll think you need to get there ... only a few roads leading into Happy Valley and they're all packed on game day.

I'll be there this year. Not expecting the game to be much fun, but I am not too worried about the fans.

Don't forget to look for the space where the Joe Paterno statue USED to be. ;)

I was there for the game in 2011. Joe PA had just been fired so the statue was still there.

NU versus PSU in 2011 was the first PSU game without Joe PA on the sideline since 1965. The PSU fans were very subdued that day. They did not harass NU fans at all.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back