• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Which NU HCing hire gave you the most optimism?

Which NU coaching hire gave you the greatest sense of optimism?

• Tom Osborne

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Frank Solich

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bill Callahan

• Bo Pelini

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Mike Riley

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Scott Frost

Votes: 44 67.7%
  • More than one

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

• Total voters

Paramus

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
The Skunkman has a good point. What do we talk about during this long off-season? With a new head coach (transition year) and a tough schedule, it's anybody's guess what NU football will look like this fall. But Husker fans always carry a healthy level of optimism no matter what. So that is something to talk about.

When Bob Devaney was hired, it seemed a bit out of left field, but it did not take long for Bob to gain fan approval. The sell-out streak began during his first season in 1962.

Question...Since Bob Devaney, which NU HCing hire gave you the greatest level of optimism...the level of optimism before the new guy had coached his 1st game for the University of Nebraska?

I have to admit that I knew little if anything about TO when he was hired in 1973. I was more skeptical than optimistic. I was very optimistic about the Frank Solich hire. He had been TO's assistant HC for many years, and I felt he had been well-groomed for the position. Bill Callahan had been to a Super Bowl as a head coach. I thought that was promising, but he had also just been fired with many of his players showing non-support. I was not completely keen on that hire. I liked the Bo hire a lot. He was a defensive guru on a NC team, a former Husker coach, and TO picked him. MR was a curious hire to me. I like a dual-threat QB, so this hire did not sit very well with me. I definitely like the SF hire. The way the UCF players continued to love him even after he chose Nebraska, along with his quick rise to success gives me much optimism.

Top on my list are Solich, Bo and Frost. Hard choice, but I'll go with Frost. If Scott was not a dual-threat QB guy, I'd have to go with Frank or Bo.

Last edited:

This thread proves that I am an idiot for my hopes.

Agree. And we also know his thread won't earn me any free popcorn.

:Biggrin:

But honestly, this poll question is not controversial. It is just asking people how they felt. Certainly, everybody felt one way or another about each of the hires.

There is no right or wrong answer...no best or worst answer. Might be fun to know how people felt at the time of each hire...and why they felt that way.

This thread isn't about comparing coaches...its about comparing fan feelings. I am sure there are a wide variety of them, and none of them are wrong.

Last edited:

You forgot to put Devaney on the list.

I didn't forget. I thought the best starting point would be after Bob's legacy was established. If you think about it, he is the guy who established the fan expectations we have today. Our level of optimism (to some degree) will always tied to and influenced by BD and his 2 NCs.

I viewed Bob as the cornerstone and then proceeded from there. May not have been the best way to do it, but I made a decision.

Keep in mind, for guys like you, the "other" option is right there.

Last edited:

Old guys?

Well, if you want to put it that way. I don't remember the BD hire, but remember Bob Brown claiming he would shave off his beard if we beat Oklahoma in 1963. I am no spring chicken myself!

If the BD hire gave you great optimism, please share it with us. Would be fun to hear about it.

Well, if you want to put it that way. I don't remember the BD hire, but remember Bob Brown claiming he would shave off his beard if we beat Oklahoma in 1963. I am no spring chicken myself!

If the BD hire gave you great optimism, please share it with us. Would be fun to hear about it.
I would if I had been born before then. Was looking out for the "old guys".

Definitely Frost. I was too young to know much when T.O. retired. I was *not* excited about Cally or Riley. I was happy when they brought back TO and hired Bo, but not like I am now.

GET TICKETS

Back