• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where will Bo land?

everyone loves to ignore context...

Solich will go down as the best football coach in Ohio U history... He has taken Ohio to 10 of their 12 bowl games in program history.

Bo @ Youngstown St has played the greatest dynasty in FCS history every single year and been in every game but 1... (2016 they lost 24-3 but ironically made it to the national title game that season). If he was coaching in any other FCS conference his win% would be .750 or better.

2015 vs NDSU L 24-27
2016 v NDSU L 3-24
2017 v NDSU L 24-27 in OT
2018 v NDSU L 7-17

Nobody save SDSU (national semifinalist) and YSU has been within 10 points of the Bison all season. Average margin of victory is just over 29 points...

In my estimation, moral victories like "we stayed close" and "we're better than before" don't count as "excellence."

Solich will go down as the best football coach in Ohio U history... He has taken Ohio to 10 of their 12 bowl games in program history.

Bo @ Youngstown St has played the greatest dynasty in FCS history every single year and been in every game but 1... (2016 they lost 24-3 but ironically made it to the national title game that season). If he was coaching in any other FCS conference his win% would be .750 or better.

2015 vs NDSU L 24-27
2016 v NDSU L 3-24
2018 v NDSU L 7-17

Nobody save SDSU (national semifinalist) and YSU has been within 10 points of the Bison all season. Average margin of victory is just over 29 points...
He's so good schools are falling all over themselves to get him.

Nevermind that schools will hire anyone they think can win regardless of their past but Bo is lucky to still be employed at ysu.

Though I don't disagree with what you have said, I do want to point out that in my opinion there is a huge difference in first-year rosters that were inherited by Bo and Frost. The difference in quality and depth of players was dramatic.
And yet for 3 years we were told that Riley was putting together outstanding recruiting classes. Something isn't adding up...

And yet for 3 years we were told that Riley was putting together outstanding recruiting classes. Something isn't adding up...

To be fair, we were told he was putting together pretty good classes..for his system(s)..on paper.

When half the class or more either doesn't pan out or doesn't stay, I'm not sure how good the 'paper' is.

For what its worth i dont think Bo left the cupboards as full as he received them either. As for Riley, not exactly sure how hamstrung he and his staff were by Eichorst as well. Just as I would like to have seen Bo get the opportunity to have support staff and run his program his way, I don't think Riley got that chance either. Let me be clear, I don't think Riley was a great coach, just that he should have had the opportunity to run the program as he wanted. I mean we know he wasn't allowed to recruit Jucos, told to fire his friend and DC Banker, that kids were given days off from lifting/practicing...there is no way I believe that was all Riley with as long as he's coached. I've seen you pile on Riley repeatedly over the last year+, but maybe it's time to move forward? My post was more about hope of what Frost can hopefully do in the next few years not a knock on Bo or any one else.

For what its worth i dont think Bo left the cupboards as full as he received them either. As for Riley, not exactly sure how hamstrung he and his staff were by Eichorst as well. Just as I would like to have seen Bo get the opportunity to have support staff and run his program his way, I don't think Riley got that chance either.

Remember Riley's "I thought this was year zero" after year 3? I'd bet Eichorst had to promise Riley the clock for rebuilding would be reset if he hired Diaco. This, to me, is evidence enough that 1. Eichorst was meddling and 2. Riley didn't have the stones to stand up for himself and his system. Instead, he felt he needed to negotiate terms.

file.png

C

2015 vs NDSU L 24-27
2016 v NDSU L 3-24
2018 v NDSU L 7-17

So who is ignoring context? Let's look at the 10 of 12 bowl games.
While they do love Frank at Ohio, since he became coach there have been an average of 35 bowl games and the MAC placed an average of 5 per year. In the years of the 10 bowl games under Solich, the MAC placed 4 teams twice, 5 teams 3 times, 6 teams 3 times, and 7 teams twice. Prior to Solich, they placed 2 teams in 3 different seasons and only 1 team every other year. Except for 3 seasons, prior to Solich, to get in a bowl game Ohio had to win the MAC. And without any MAC championships, it's likely he would have had zero bowl appearances under the old rules before we had 40 bowl games.

Compared to the past 2 coaches at YSU, Bo hasn't done significantly better. Heacock went 60-44 (.577) with 6 winning seasons and 3 losing seasons. Eric Wolford went 31-26 (.543) with 4 winning and 2 losing seasons. Bo is 27-22 (.551). Neither Heacock or Wolford landed another head coaching job. Heacock is the D-coordinator at Iowa State and Wolford is the OL coach at South Carolina. There is nothing here indicating someone will have anything for Bo other than as a position coach.

So who is ignoring context? Let's look at the 10 of 12 bowl games.
While they do love Frank at Ohio, since he became coach there have been an average of 35 bowl games and the MAC placed an average of 5 per year. In the years of the 10 bowl games under Solich, the MAC placed 4 teams twice, 5 teams 3 times, 6 teams 3 times, and 7 teams twice. Prior to Solich, they placed 2 teams in 3 different seasons and only 1 team every other year. Except for 3 seasons, prior to Solich, to get in a bowl game Ohio had to win the MAC. And without any MAC championships, it's likely he would have had zero bowl appearances under the old rules before we had 40 bowl games.

Compared to the past 2 coaches at YSU, Bo hasn't done significantly better. Heacock went 60-44 (.577) with 6 winning seasons and 3 losing seasons. Eric Wolford went 31-26 (.543) with 4 winning and 2 losing seasons. Bo is 27-22 (.551). Neither Heacock or Wolford landed another head coaching job. Heacock is the D-coordinator at Iowa State and Wolford is the OL coach at South Carolina. There is nothing here indicating someone will have anything for Bo other than as a position coach.
97156474c33de63ee9cca7dc1d433ab2f7b86938b94e75606dd118552a4289a3.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone that thinks Bo Pelini is not going to get some Power 5 offers in the next 2 years is fooling themselves... you dont have his winning % and not get offers when there are so many re-treads. Coaching ability is not an issue for him and his brother... Their defense is one of the best in FCS this year... If they upset a 10-1 Jacksonville St this weekend... he is going to turn some heads.

He may have P5 offers as a defensive coordinator but I doubt seriously he will have any as a head coach. G5 maybe. He did not have that much success to make it worth the risk for P5.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back