• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

where is the line?

What is the worst record NU could have to make you wish HCMR coaches here next year?

• I've seen enough, I want a change regardless

Votes: 22 23.4%
  • 8-4+

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • 7-5

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • 6-6

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • 5-7

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Give him more time regardless

Votes: 21 22.3%

• Total voters

BARNUM is back

Son of NUM
5 Year Member
For me it is more dynamic than. "What is our record on November 24th?" For me, alot depends on how we look, not just in loses, like Oregon where we looked good in the second half, but in wins, like Rutgers where we looked like a really bad football team. but i'm interested to know how alone i am in my expectations for the remainder of this season and this seems like a pretty objective standard to gauge.

Personally, i've seen too much bad football where our performance is much worse than our talent that i would need to see something special to want* another MR year. My vote is for 8-4

Last edited:
Barring a complete collapse, I think we need to give him a chance to coach up his recruits for another year or two. We seem to be bringing in upgraded talent, let's allow the man and his staff to try to realize their vision with them.

Besides, looking at next year's schedule, do we really want to bring in a new coach and put him through that gauntlet? @ Ohio State, @ Michigan, @ Wisconsin, Michigan State... I'm thinking that would put the new coach immediately behind the 8-ball.

The only provision I would like to include is a baseline rule stating "If you coached with Mike Riley at Oregon State, thank you for your time... you're fired."

Barring a complete collapse, I think we need to give him a chance to coach up his recruits for another year or two. We seem to be bringing in upgraded talent, let's allow the man and his staff to try to realize their vision with them.

Besides, looking at next year's schedule, do we really want to bring in a new coach and put him through that gauntlet? @ Ohio State, @ Michigan, @ Wisconsin, Michigan State... I'm thinking that would put the new coach immediately behind the 8-ball.

The only provision I would like to include is a baseline rule stating "If you coached with Mike Riley at Oregon State, thank you for your time... you're fired."

I'm not with you on the "let's wait" train, but you're right it is really hard to imagine Cav coming back and to a lesser extent Langsdorf. however, it seems almost just as cruel to send a team with a new O-line coach and O-Coord. to next years rough schedule as it would be to send a new HC there

8-4 is almost an impossibility at this point with Ohio St and Penn St on the schedule. 7-5 with with reasonable losses (e.g. no 62-3 scores) could convince me to give MR another year, but I think that outcome is a stretch. We would have to beat four teams who we are not substantially better than.

I would need to see the actual wins and losses first, but in general I could understand support for another year if we go 7-5.

Going from 3-3 to 7-5 with Ohio State and Penn State still on the horizon is going to require improved coaching and play from this team.

If we lose to OSU and PSU, but show that we can compete with them without being embarrassed, and we sweep Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota and Iowa, then that would get us to 7-5, and it would show me something.

Embarrassing losses and/or losing to one or more of the "lessor 4", and I'm done. But again, so much of it goes into how we actually look, not just the W or L.

Last edited:

For me it is more dynamic than. "What is our record on November 24th?" For me, alot depends on how we look, not just in loses, like Oregon where we looked good in the second half, but in wins, like Rutgers where we looked like a really bad football team. but i'm interested to know how alone i am in my expectations for the remainder of this season and this seems like a pretty objective standard to gauge.

I always find it interesting why looking good in the Oregon 2nd half is more important than looking horrible in the Oregon 1st half?

Personally, i've seen too much bad football where our performance is much worse than our talent that i would need to see something special to want* another MR year. My vote is for 8-4

Why is it more important that NU looked good in the 2nd half at Oregon than it is that they were horrible in the 1st half?

Sorry about the previous post.

I would grudgingly accept 7-5. 8-4 would make me much happier about the prospect of his return.

if you would have told me 7-5, at the beginning of the year, i would have told you we should keep going with MR (i REALLY think his a great guy and the way he carries himself makes me proud as a fan) but i expected 3-4 losses to better teams and 1-2 "frustrating" surprises. Instead, we have just played bad bad football. Outside of Illinois all of our performances have looked like very bad football to me. early season games in CFB mean more than they do in any other sport, at this point i'm not willing to root for 'moderate' improvement, and i cant imagine being satisfied simply by finishing with a win over IA

Why is it more important that NU looked good in the 2nd half at Oregon than it is that they were horrible in the 1st half?
I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying that I'm personally more concerned about how we look than the W/L record. i didn't want to use our performance at the hapless Illini and the 2nd half against OR is the only example i could think of for good looking football:Unsure:

8-4 and I guess I "wish" we keep him as you put it. That would mean a top 10 win, a top 10 loss, and probably 2nd in the west. That would be serious momentum into next year.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program. 7-5 I'd lean toward keeping him, but would be OK with whatever the admin does given how we've looked against lesser teams.

GET TICKETS

Back