• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where does the current staff wind up?

Agree with much of the above.

The guys who will land on their feet if not retained here are D. Williams, K. Williams, Bray, Diaco, and Parella. Both Williams would be in high demand for their recruiting ability and could probably almost pick their Power Five school. Bray should be able to find something on the west coast. Diaco has surely suffered some damage, but he'll find a coordinator position somewhere in the FBS. Parella may have to drop down to a G5 school if not retained here.

Langsdorf probably ends up as a QB coach in the NFL or FBS, but hard to believe he would EVER get another look as a coordinator / play caller. I can't see much demand anywhere for Cavanaugh or Davis.

No idea on Booker. May go back to being support staff, like he was supposed to be here.

My question is did Frost get who he wanted for his staff at UCF given it is a G5 team? Frost would have more money/prestige at NU to be able to hire bigger name assistants. Not saying he doesn't like his staff, but would he try to make upgrades moving to NU?

I'm sure Frost would bring some UCF guys with him, and he probably should. I would be a little concerned if he brought the entire staff, as I would like to see a few "go out and find the very best" type of hires. Plus maybe retain 1 or 2 from current if there is a fit.

I'm sure Frost would bring some UCF guys with him, and he probably should. I would be a little concerned if he brought the entire staff, as I would like to see a few "go out and find the very best" type of hires. Plus maybe retain 1 or 2 from current if there is a fit.

Agreed. That being said, are there 1 or more of his current assistants that are considered to be a weak link?

So, it sounds like NU is pursuing Frost, and Florida is pursuing Chip Kelly. What are the chances that this situation reverses itself...? Frost to Florida and Kelly to NU?

And, is there a chance in he!! that Frost and Kelly join up again either at Florida or NU?

So, it sounds like NU is pursuing Frost, and Florida is pursuing Chip Kelly. What are the chances that this situation reverses itself...? Frost to Florida and Kelly to NU?

And, is there a chance in he!! that Frost and Kelly join up again either at Florida or NU?

Frost was a position coach for Kelly.. he didn’t become OC until Helfrich took over. The pay will be too great and the allure of being a HC will push him away from any Kelly reunion.

Does anyone know if Parella really needs to coach from an income stand point? Doesn't he own a car dealership(s)?

This is a list of coaches and other staff at UCF (and their ties to Frost) that would be likely candidates to go with Mr. Frost in the event he goes somewhere. ;)

Erik Chinander, Defensive Coordinator (Oregon, Philadelphia Eagles)
Jovan Dewitt, Associate Head Coach/Linebackers/Special Teams, (N. Iowa)
Troy Walters, Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers, (Stanford Alum)
Greg Austin, Offensive Line (Nebraska)
Mike Dawson, Defensive Line (Philadelphia Eagles)
Ryan Held, Running Backs (Nebraska)
Mario Verduzco, Quarterbacks Coach (N. Iowa)
Sean Dillon, Director of Player Personnel (Oregon)
Barrett Ruud, Quality Control Administrator (Nebraska)
Zach Duval, Director of Sports Performance - Football (Nebraska)
Gerrod Lambrecht, Chief of Staff/Director of Operations (Concordia U. - Nebraska)

Last edited:

My question is did Frost get who he wanted for his staff at UCF given it is a G5 team? Frost would have more money/prestige at NU to be able to hire bigger name assistants. Not saying he doesn't like his staff, but would he try to make upgrades moving to NU?

Given the number of guys on his staff who came from Nebraska, Oregon, Northern Iowa or the Eagles, I'd say yes. He's got who he wanted. Frost's DC has coached with him throughout all of the stops, plus the guy won the Broyles award last year as the best assistant coach in FBS. If Frost wasn't being lured away from UCF anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see that guy end up at a P5 school as their DC next year.

I'm in the minority on this one, but I think Riley will coach again. He's going out with his boots on. He's done in the P5, but I predict something in the MWC like San Jose St. or Hawaii.

I think every guy on this staff lands on his feet. The circle of coaches at this level is small and a bit insular. Guys get third and fourth chances all the time.

Last edited:
Some might be retained by Frost because as mentioned, several are excellent coaches and strong recruiters. I was on the UCF football website looking over the resumes of the UCF coaching staff. I would be most interested in what others, especially ***, think of the bona fides of the UCF staff. Do you think Frost brings them all if he comes here or does he retain some of our present staff?
I started a thread on this subject. It was merged.

Some might be retained by Frost because as mentioned, several are excellent coaches and strong recruiters. I was on the UCF football website looking over the resumes of the UCF coaching staff. I would be most interested in what others, especially ***, think of the bona fides of the UCF staff. Do you think Frost brings them all if he comes here or does he retain some of our present staff?

I don't think Frost wants anything to do with this staff. If there's a cancer, you have to cut it all out to make sure it doesn't come back.

Agreed. That being said, are there 1 or more of his current assistants that are considered to be a weak link?

Good question. I haven't spent a lot of time looking into his current staff. I suspect there are a number of his assistants who we would be more than happy with and who are likely to be successful at the G5 level. It's unlikely that each of the nine assistants represents "the best that we can get". I honestly don't know whether Frost has any true ace recruiters on his staff. If not, we'll need one or two of those from somewhere else.

Couple things, first, there's a reason a head coach likes to keep most of his staff together. When you are teaching something new you want to have as many people familiar with it as possible to help with your culture and install of your offense/defense. I would imagine most of Frost's staff would come with him, except for a few guys. I wouldn't blame him one bit. "The best coach money can get" only gets you so far, as you have no loyalty to the coach, only the dollar, lose out on the things I mentioned earlier with "fit" to the current head coach, and someone will always outbid you.

Second, who would come over?

Chinandler is coming unless they give him the UCF job after Frost leaves
Austin is coming to coach the OL
Held will come here to coach RBs and would be in charge of JUCO stuff I think
Ruud may come and take over LBs
Duvall an Epley disciple would almost certainly come with him
I think his QB coach would come with him as well.

I've brought this up before, but Parrella will be an interesting case study. Frost is aware of how many directions he will get pulled with this job, he will have multiple people like Jason Peter telling him he needs to retain Parrella. I like keeping one or two guys from the previous staff to help with the transition.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back