• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where does the current staff wind up?

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Assuming Moos scraps the whole thing and reboots with a new coach, where do our current coaches land?

I'm betting Riley retires or moves to some kind of semi-regular broadcast thing, as an occasional color commentary guy. I don't see him taking on another FBS/FCS head coaching gig.

I think both Langsdorf and Diaco land either solid coordinator gigs or possibly a head coaching role at an FCS school. For what it's worth, I don't think Langsdorf's offense is "flawed" as much as it's not a fit for Nebraska. He could do very well with an air raid team like Texas Tech or Washington State. Same for Diaco, although I think the 3-4 could possibly work at NU. He just likely won't get enough time to figure things out. He probably lands a lateral role with another FBS team needing a defensive overhaul.

The rest of the coaches are a toss up, but both of the Williams are top notch guys and solid recruiters. Position coaches have the luxury of not being responsible for play calls, so even though this year was a failure for NU they can probably plug into about anywhere and hit the ground running.

Last one I'll mention - Cav. Wondering if he also retires. His OL philosophy is just backwards, IMO, and you need a deep bench to run the full B1G schedule. He might drop to some FCS/Group of Five school but I honestly think he takes his payday from NU and calls it quits.

Last edited:

I have a weird feeling that one of or both of the Williamses will land at a big time program and recruit their tails off. Both very likable guys but the storm here just caught them at the wrong time

my guess: the Pit of misery

giphy.gif

Some might be retained by Frost because as mentioned, several are excellent coaches and strong recruiters. I was on the UCF football website looking over the resumes of the UCF coaching staff. I would be most interested in what others, especially ***, think of the bona fides of the UCF staff. Do you think Frost brings them all if he comes here or does he retain some of our present staff?

Last edited:
Some might be retained by Frost because as mentioned, several are excellent coaches and strong recruiters.

Wonder if Parrella would be kept by Frost.

I'm not 100% certain how JP grades out as a DL Coach (I'm no where near educated/qualified to make that assessment), but it sure would be nice from the cultural point of view.

Last edited:

Wonder if Parrella would be kept by Frost.

I'm not 100% certain how JP grades out as a DL Coach (I'm no where near educated/qualified to make that assessment), but it sure would be nice from the cultural point of view.
I think most on here see him as a good coach and recruiter. His recruiting and coaching to the culture would certainly be a great assest IMO. I have no idea as to the DL coach currently on the UCF staff.

My thoughts... first, assuming that Riley is fired and Frost is hired...

I am not sure if Frost would try to bring some or all of his staff from UCF. Agreed, I think that Diaco and Langsdorf are gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Frost retained Parrella as they both have ties to the old guard at NU, despite being in different classes and not playing together. Trying to keep Bray would probably be good, but not sure if Bray would stay as he was previously offered a DC role elsewhere and he turned it down to work with Diaco and learn more. There have been rumors that Donte (or someone) has said that Donte will be staying put. I could see where Frost and Donte could hit it off. While I think that our Pass D has been terrible this year, I am not sure if that is Donte's fault as much as it is scheme. KW has shown a track record for good recruiting (although short on numbers without great backup plans) and his receivers have done well at NU. Not sure what Frost would think of him in regards to culture fit. Also have to remember that KW has the DUI issues, so that could play a role in retaining him or not, both from Frost's point of view and KW's point of view. On the one hand, it could work against him both in being retained and in finding employment elsewhere. But, given his recruiting ability, and he's not bad with development either, a big-name program could be all over him and not care about the DUI issue. Cav - gone. Davis - gone. I don't see anything particularly good or bad with regard to Scott Booker, so I figure Frost doesn't retain him.

So, in summary:
Riley - retire, Corvallis. Would he return as HC at OSU?
Langsdorf - NFL.
Diaco - DC elsewhere or HC at FCS or G5 team.
KW - Frost tries to retain, not sure if successful.
DW - Frost tries to retain, not sure if successful.
Parrella - Frost retains.
Bray - Frost tries to retain, unsuccessful, DC at G5 team.
Cav - retire or OL at G5 team.
Davis - RB at G5 team.
Booker - not retained, FCS position coach.

FWIW, I can't deny that Riley has lost his team this year and things are unmistakably trending in the wrong direction. I don't like letting a coach go after only 3 years, but if the signs are obvious, why wait. I do think that Riley, given another 2 years, could turn things around a bit, but with next year's schedule I doubt he could show much if any improvement in the W/L record over 2017. Also, while you can point to Solich's lack of recruiting and being slow to make DC changes, and Pelini's unprofessional manner and apparent plateau, there was a palpable national perception that NU was being stupid in firing not 1 but 2 coaches who were 9-4, which in turn makes a coaching search difficult and puts a lot of pressure on the new coach. But, with Callahan having 2 losing seasons in 4 years and Riley having 2 losing seasons in 3 years, the national perception will generally be that NU was justified in moving on, putting less pressure on the next coach and making a coaching search easier.

Some might be retained by Frost because as mentioned, several are excellent coaches and strong recruiters. I was on the UCF football website looking over the resumes of the UCF coaching staff. I would be most interested in what others, especially ***, think of the bona fides of the UCF staff. Do you think Frost brings them all if he comes here or does he retain some of our present staff?

I think Frost will try to bring his whole staff with him. There will always be 1 or 2 guys that don't want to move, or they might get offerered the head job at UCF, but Frost seems to really like the staff he assembled.

I get that Frost would want to keep his group of guys together. But this is also Nebraska. If he's the coach, he'll have all the resources to pick top talent from anywhere, much like Riley did with Diaco.

That's not to comment on Diaco's level of success here; just to say that he was a hot candidate this time last year and Nebraska showed the ability to make a big splash hire. No reason Frost couldn't afford the best guys out there if UNL is footing the bill.

My question is did Frost get who he wanted for his staff at UCF given it is a G5 team? Frost would have more money/prestige at NU to be able to hire bigger name assistants. Not saying he doesn't like his staff, but would he try to make upgrades moving to NU?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back