• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

When Will The Huskers Return To An Elite Level? The Final Chronicles!

When will the Huskers return to championship form?

Votes: 9 17.3%

Votes: 14 26.9%

Votes: 21 40.4%

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • 2021 or beyond

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters
Mike Riley said he loves this team. I think something special is brewing.

Yes, Wisconsin has an easy schedule, but I think Lee and Diaco will elevate us past them and get us to Indianapolis.

Last edited:

How am I making excuses for going 7-0? (Shouldve been 8-0) I am naming obstacles that the Huskers overcame last year on their way to the program's first 7-0 start in 15 seasons.

Edit: and they are an arguably better team going into this year

You want me to believe that a healthy TA beats the chicken hawks, no way.

C

Last year Wisconsin lost three games by a total of 21 points. They lost to #2 Ohio State 30-23 in overtime. They lost to #4 Michigan 14-7 in Ann Arbor. They lost the B1G CC to #8 Penn State 38-31.

Wisconsin is on the cusp of playing at the "elite" B1G championship level. We took Wisconsin into overtime last year at their place.

With Lee and Diaco we should be able to surpass Wisconsin in 2017. That should put us at or near the "elite" level. It does not seem like a mission impossible for 2017.

Last year Wisconsin lost three games by a total of 21 points. They lost to #2 Ohio State 30-23 in overtime. They lost to #4 Michigan 14-7 in Ann Arbor. They lost the B1G CC to #8 Penn State 38-31.

Wisconsin is on the cusp of playing at the "elite" B1G championship level. We took Wisconsin into overtime last year at their place.

With Lee and Diaco we should be able to surpass Wisconsin in 2017. That should put us at or near the "elite" level. It does not seem like a mission impossible for 2017.
Maybe not impossible but improbable that we return to elite this year.

Maybe not impossible but improbable that we return to elite this year.

:mr: "I have gone on record saying I love this team. Our fate mainly rests on the performance of the offensive line. That is where it all starts. We need that group to play with great resolve, execution, and courage."

While in Fremont, Riley said the offensive line is the “foundation of what we’re going to do.”

http://fremonttribune.com/news/loca...cle_abdda06e-2f14-50c6-a856-88afad11698b.html

Last edited:
I voted 2019. It could be 2018 if our offensive and defensive lines develop into the level of our last National Championship team. Too many unknowns for me to say 2017. We don't know the team leadership ability, or how our 3-4 defense will perform, or if our QB will have a break out year, not even sure about our RBs, among other things. For me, MR still has to show the Husker nation he is capable to develop/coach to a Championship level. If we had a Suh, Carriker, Wistrom, Peter Bros., or Steinkuhler, Shields or Stai, etc., I'd feel more positive about the upcoming season.

Oh, I hope so. And I like fired assistant coaches i.e. Banker

Explain distant future? I want 2017 season ..... I'm tickled CC winner! And elite/Top10 team starting at 2018.
I want 2017 as well. Then I want 2018. Like I mentioned in the show, I believe the team will be better this season and even better next year. But there's a lot of question marks this season, and 9 or maybe 10 wins vs the 2018 schedule would be pretty good. So the not so distant future as far being elite for me is 2019. 3 years seems like a while, but not when you consider it's been since '99 since we won a conference title.

Last edited:
When was the last time we entered a season with an exceptional/elite QB at our helm? I think it goes back to 2001 and EC. We've had some decent QB's since but none I would characterize as outstanding! Some weren't even true QB's IMO but rather forced into roles they really didn't have the skills to fill.

Bottom line "IF" TL turns out as good as many predict we'll have an excellent season. Believe we will win the division and who knows from there.......

Last edited:

Wisconsin's schedule this season is cake. Unless they have severe attrition it's tough to see many losses on their schedule. Their Big Ten slate:

Northwestern
at Nebraska
Purdue
Maryland
at Illinois
at Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
at Minnesota

One issue is the bye week is before Northwestern so they have nine consecutive conference games without a bye week.
I agree that the inequities in Big 10 schedules has been an enormous problem for the league. Wisconsin's schedule seems very light in comparison to others.

When was the last time we entered a season with an exceptional/elite QB at our helm? I think it goes back to 2001 and EC. We've had some decent QB's since but none I would characterize as outstanding! Some weren't even true QB's IMO but rather forced into roles they really didn't have the skills to fill.

Bottom line "IF" TL turns out as good as many predict we'll have an excellent season. Believe we will win the division and who knows from there.......
Quarterback is the 2nd most important position on a football team (right behind defensive end :thumbsup:), and as much as TL will have to do with the Huskers success, let's keep in mind we still need the O-Line to keep him upright and open holes for the running. Also, the defense needs to keep the opposition's score down so TL isn't forced into airing it out in obvious passing situations. TL is a big reason I like our chances this year, and as much as I'd like him to be elite we don't know if he is yet. The trenches and defense is still what wins football games.

Last edited:

I agree that the inequities in Big 10 schedules has been an enormous problem for the league. Wisconsin's schedule seems very light in comparison to others.
The inequalities in difficulty of schedule for each team within the Big 10 conference is inexcusable. The teams that end up in Indy shouldn't be the teams that are good and also have the easiest schedules, they should simply be the best teams from each division. In my opinion this is a major problem. Either add more teams to each division so every team just plays the teams within their division and then the division champions play in the conference title game, or make smaller conferences so everybody plays everybody and nobody has an advantage, or get rid of divisions and make the schedules each year relatively the same difficulty with the 2 teams with the best record playing in the championship game. I hate how they do it now. Another option would be to just not count conference crossover games in each teams conference record, but I'm not sure there'd be enough conference games played each year that count to create enough separation. Bottom line, I hate how they determine who gets in the conference title game right now.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back