• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What would Crouch’s draft stock have been in 2019?

There however is Russell Wilson who's an excellent passer imo. He's listed at 5'11" which I think is only obtained standing on an orange crate! So there are always exceptions but on average a shorter QB is always disadvantaged in the NFL.

No doubt Russell Wilson is a very good passing quarterback. Though he also proved that his senior season at Wisconsin. 73% pass completions for 3,175 yards, 33 TDs and only 4 INTs. That's a heckuva great season he had.

Obviously, Crouch was nowhere near that accomplished with his arm in college -- and there's simply not a quarterback gig available for his type in the NFL -- not 18 years ago and not today either.

Being short as an NFL quarterback generally requires you to be able to get outside the pocket and throw on the run. But you've got to be able to throw accurately. Wilson can do that. Crouch could not.

No doubt Russell Wilson is a very good passing quarterback. Though he also proved that his senior season at Wisconsin. 73% pass completions for 3,175 yards, 33 TDs and only 4 INTs. That's a heckuva great season he had.

Obviously, Crouch was nowhere near that accomplished with his arm in college -- and there's simply not a quarterback gig available for his type in the NFL -- not 18 years ago and not today either.

Being short as an NFL quarterback generally requires you to be able to get outside the pocket and throw on the run. But you've got to be able to throw accurately. Wilson can do that. Crouch could not.
I stated in an earlier post in this thread there were positions in the NFL EC might have been able to perform at a high level. I also stated QB wasn't one of them imo even though I have the utmost respect for EC.

What I was referring to was a post that said a short QB (under 6ft) would have a difficult time making it in the NFL. That's 100% accurate however there are exceptions and RW being one of them. EC was never going to be a starting QB in the NFL imo. He didn't really want to become a receiver or even a DB. Bottom line I think he ultimately did the right thing and pursued other opportunites.

I believe we're in agreement regarding EC..........

Last edited:

Was Crouch 15-20 years ahead of his time? Seems like with the infatuation today with highly mobile QBs, Crouch would be an NFL first rounder this spring.
No, he wasn't. His passing skills were very poor, no NFL team would have seriously considered him a QB. His draft stock would've been the same as his senior year...potential for WR.

No

He still is only 6'0" tall not ideal even for this current version of the NFL. His 4.5 speed in the 40 while decent doesn't compare favorably either. He only completed 51.5% of his passes and had a 29/25 TD/INT ratio.

EC should've entered the draft as a WR. He should've returned KO/Punts ... become a Slash kind of player and would've found a good niche in the NFL.
First of all...crouch is no shorter than kyler murray.

Secondly 4.5 is seriously fast and would compare favorably to any qb... including murray.

3rd...the passing thing. For one Crouch would have been as beat up in...say...a frost offense. Frost would encourage sliding and avoiding contact to the extent possible. That wasnt the case in his and crouch's era. How many shoulder surgeries did crouch have? A couple? Ya think that impacted his %? Also these QBs is frost-like offenses have incredibly high completion percentage because there is a lot of short passing. NUs pass game back in the day was much more heavily downfield based.

I would very much like to see how crouch would translate today. Probably very favorably.

Last edited:
EC should've entered the draft as a WR. He should've returned KO/Punts ... become a Slash kind of player and would've found a good niche in the NFL.
To this point....crouch SHOULD have entered the draft exactly how he wanted. He never should have agreed to tried to convert to WR for the rams. He wanted to play qb. His choice.

Secondly 4.5 is seriously fast and would compare favorably to any qb... including murray.

3rd...the passing thing. For one Crouch would have been as beat up in...say...a frost offense. Frost would encourage sliding and avoiding contact to the extent possible. That wasnt the case in his and crouch's era. How many shoulder surgeries did crouch have? A couple? Ya think that impacted his %? Also these QBs is frost-like offenses have incredibly high completion percentage because there is a lot of short passing. NUs pass game back in the day was much more heavily downfield based.

I would very much like to see how crouch would translate today. Probably very favorably.
Crouch in Frosts collegiate offense yes. He’d have been great. Crouch in an NFL offense is different. Crouch was was a running QB who passed not a passing QB who ran. Big difference.

Then again if Lamar Jackson can make it who knows. Although I think
LJ is short for the NFL world.

Crouch is taller than Murray. That guy is seriously short he would have to stand on his toes to look Drew Breesin the eye.

The one thing that really hurt Crouch was arm strength. Doesn’t matter if you are short or tall you have to have arm strength.

Wilson, Brees, Flutie, Mayfield and Murray all have cannons for arms.

Crouch in Frosts collegiate offense yes. He’d have been great. Crouch in an NFL offense is different. Crouch was was a running QB who passed not a passing QB who ran. Big difference.

Then again if Lamar Jackson can make it who knows. Although I think
LJ is short for the NFL world.
Agree on LJ.

I'm not saying crouch was a sure thing by any means. But his completion % today would have been well north of what it was in those offenses. And NFL teams are a probably getting somewhat away from their old cookie cutter qb. (Although I do think the goff's of the football world will still rule).

Last edited:
Crouch is taller than Murray. That guy is seriously short he would have to stand on his toes to look Drew Breesin the eye.

The one thing that really hurt Crouch was arm strength. Doesn’t matter if you are short or tall you have to have arm strength.

Wilson, Brees, Flutie, Mayfield and Murray all have cannons for arms.
Don't forget the shoulder surgeries though. Dude dished out and received punishment that he would avoid in "frost's" offense.

Don't forget the shoulder surgeries though. Dude dished out and received punishment that he would avoid in "frost's" offense.

Yeah, I am sure the shoulder surgeries took a little off his velocity, but not that much. I agree that his % would go up and his hit count would go down in Frost’s offense and I do think he would have been good in it, doesn’t make him and NFL quarterback. I think he would have got more of a look but in the end I don’t think he makes a team as a quarterback.

Kyler Murray MIGHT be a 1st round pick but he’s no guarantee to succeed in the NFL. Lamar Jackson was a 1st round pick. No guarantee he’ll be successful. Paxton Lynch was a 1st round pick.

There is significant doubt as to whether KM can/will be successful.

Kyler Murray MIGHT be a 1st round pick but he’s no guarantee to succeed in the NFL. Lamar Jackson was a 1st round pick. No guarantee he’ll be successful. Paxton Lynch was a 1st round pick.

There is significant doubt as to whether KM can/will be successful.
I wouldn't draft murray... it someone is going to. I wish I was a 1st round qb bust. :)

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back