• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What would Crouch’s draft stock have been in 2019?

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
Was Crouch 15-20 years ahead of his time? Seems like with the infatuation today with highly mobile QBs, Crouch would be an NFL first rounder this spring.

Last edited:
... Crouch would be an NFL first rounder this spring.
No

He still is only 6'0" tall not ideal even for this current version of the NFL. His 4.5 speed in the 40 while decent doesn't compare favorably either. He only completed 51.5% of his passes and had a 29/25 TD/INT ratio.

EC should've entered the draft as a WR. He should've returned KO/Punts ... become a Slash kind of player and would've found a good niche in the NFL.

Last edited:

Was Crouch 15-20 years ahead of his time? Seems like with the infatuation today with highly mobile QBs, Crouch would be an NFL first rounder this spring.
The key is mobile QBs who can throw. Crouch only had 2 of 4 years above 50%. Mahomes and Prescott only had 1 year each in college below 60%. Heck Armstrong had better passing stats then Crouch and he did not get drafted as a QB.

No idea about the draft position, but I thought he was a good qb for Nebraska. I liked the kid then and like him still.Just me,but I ‘m not a big nfl guy.GBR.

No

He still is only 6'0" tall not ideal even for this current version of the NFL. His 4.5 speed in the 40 while decent doesn't compare favorably either. He only completed 51.5% of his passes and had a 29/25 TD/INT ratio.

EC should've entered the draft as a WR. He should've returned KO/Punts ... become a Slash kind of player and would've found a good niche in the NFL.

Pass percentages are a bit of a situational thing. No doubt he was never a great passer, but I think his percentages go up a lot in a modern spread offense, and he would have been very dangerous as a QB in Frost's offense.

Even today, he'd probably be most dangerous in the NFL as a slash player who can do a bit of everything, including play action when a D has to key on his running ability if he lines up behind center.

Last edited:

The key is mobile QBs who can throw. Crouch only had 2 of 4 years above 50%. Mahomes and Prescott only had 1 year each in college below 60%. Heck Armstrong had better passing stats then Crouch and he did not get drafted as a QB.

He might have if he had a different offense than MR gave him. :)

He might have if he had a different offense than MR gave him. :)

Two years under MR did not hurt his QB draft stock. If he was worthy of playing QB in the league he would have at least been picked up instead of just a tryout at RB for the Vikings. And even then they asked him to switch to safety. There is a reason he is playing Indoor Football League in Grand Island.

C

No

Compared to whom? There's only been a few quarterbacks to ever clock better times at the NFL Combine.

Best case, he would've been an Edelman-type player in the slot. He probably couldn't have played QB in todays NFL just like he couldn't do it then either. Not every great college QB translates to the NFL

My in-laws live in St. Louis and when the Rams drafted him I thought there was so much Martz could try with him. Hakim was a HS QB I think and there were plays he came in on reverse to throw passes and even an option run or two that I recall. I always thought Crouch might be able to fit that scheme.

I've thought about this at times.

Helped His Draft Stock:
-His passing percentage, as some have mentioned, was a product of the system he was in. Because Nebraska was a power run/option team back then, most of Eric's passes were play action, low percentage throws designed to capitalize on defenses playing the run and hit them with a big pass. If he played in Frost's offense now, or most any spread offense, he'd have a much better percentage because that's what modern offenses do, hence why the record for QBR is broken every year.
-He ran a 4.45 at the Combine which doesn't sound otherworldly but for machine timed, is extremely fast. For perspective, I've listed Nebraska players best times since 1999 below. Crouch had DB speed.

1. Fabian Washington, 2005 — 4.29 seconds
T-2. Prince Amukamara, 2011 — 4.38 seconds
T-2. Daniel Bullocks, 2006 — 4.38 seconds
4. Zackary Bowman, 2008 — 4.39 seconds
5. Roy Helu, 2011 — 4.40 seconds

Hurt His Draft Stock:
-Crouch was only 5'11 per his measurements at the NFL Combine. That's not good in any system.
-His arm strength left a lot to be desired.

He might be considered in a modern NFL offense but I still think most NFL teams would pass on him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back