• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What was your first Huskers game?

Reading some of the responses here make me wonder - why does someone become a Husker fan if they didn’t grow up in Nebraska?
I grew up in a small Missouri town but our High School coaches used to go to coaching clinics in Lincoln and rave about the coaches, players and HC Osborne's pee-hillosophy on commitment and life. Then, the 1984 Miami 2-point conversion game happened! That game removed any doubt I may have had.

My first game was November 7, 1992, in Lincoln against Glen Mason's number 13 ranked Kansas team. My brother was a Freshman at NU and got me a student ticket. I drove in from Kearney for the 6:30p night game on ESPN. It was an unforgettable experience unless you were a Kansas fan: NU49-KU7

2009 Gator Bowl Huskers 26 - Clemson 21
Alex Henery with 4 field goals. Suh had a huge game.

Looking forward to beating Clemson again soon.....

I started attending through the Knothole section in around 1944 or so. I remember that game with Minnesota preflight that IARED raised earlier and I remember walking over to the entrance to the visitor's locker room and seeing those guys. They were men, not kids, and they were big. Half the game I was playing tackle the man with the ball behind the knothole bleachers. I never had a real ticket until about the early 50s when I learned that if I hung around outsied the west stadium I could get a free one from someone who had extras. Often they were really good seats, although a lot of the time we went from section to section since there always were open seats somewhere once we got it. I saw lots of good games that way, ones that had Bobby Reynolds, Tom Novak, and guys like that. It was all for free. I first paid for tickets in the 60s.

I started attending through the Knothole section in around 1944 or so. I remember that game with Minnesota preflight that IARED raised earlier and I remember walking over to the entrance to the visitor's locker room and seeing those guys. They were men, not kids, and they were big. Half the game I was playing tackle the man with the ball behind the knothole bleachers. I never had a real ticket until about the early 50s when I learned that if I hung around outsied the west stadium I could get a free one from someone who had extras. Often they were really good seats, although a lot of the time we went from section to section since there always were open seats somewhere once we got it. I saw lots of good games that way, ones that had Bobby Reynolds, Tom Novak, and guys like that. It was all for free. I first paid for tickets in the 60s.
Wow! That’s impressive

As I mentioned earlier, The Nebraska- Iowa St game in 1973. I went with my dad and we sat on the West stadium. I still remember how green the grass was when we walked in. It was the first of many beat downs I thought give us give the Cyclowns, Including going to many games and their worthless high school stadium. The only time I saw us lose to them in person was the 5 fumble game in 2010 when Bo was the coach. I was blessed to go to many games over the years with my dad and I had season tickets from 1993-2011. My dad sat in my seats for the game against Texas in 1998.

NU v Florida St in 1981. We were sitting low in the North end zone and I have a very distinct memory of Roger Craig running straight at us with some very impressive high knee action! I couldn't believe how fast he covered that 94 yards.

1981 - CU in Lincoln. I was a close friend of state FCA director at the time, Wendell Conover, and got invited to give the chapel for the team beforehand and have a steak breakfast with the coaches (I'll never forget it!).

Then we went to the game and I got to watch sophomore Turner Gill make his first start. We were sitting in the north end zone and I especially remember watching him display his magic on a beautiful option keeper right in front of us. This was also was Mike Rozier's first start. Final score NU 59, CU ZERO.

First game was in Boulder against CU. I think it was in 1981 or 1982. NU won easily... score was somewhere around 41-14

First home game was against Florida State in 1986. NU won... 34-17 or something like that. Close game until the late 3rd quarter / early 4th quarter.

1968 shutout loss to Lynn Dickey and KSU. Heard words from my dad and grandpa that day that were some of my first. I didn’t get to any the following year as my sisters had to get equal consideration. Made it to the next one in 1970, again Lynn Dickey, but a far better result. My food memory was a sandwich at Der Loaf & Stein. My other was the horror of walking into the men’s room, seeing an entire wall of toilets, and not a single door on any. All you saw was the tops of heads of men taking dumps...no eye contact thank god.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back