• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What was your first Huskers game?

The 1963 CU-NU game which Nebraska won 41-6. Dad took me to the game and I was instantly locked into being a BIG RED fan for life..........

Reading some of the responses here make me wonder - why does someone become a Husker fan if they didn’t grow up in Nebraska?

That's an excellent question. I've lived all over the world, and I've been asked this a lot, especially by folks from Nebraska, and I've realized that it's complicated. I grew up in southeast South Dakota, so that obviously affected most of the reasons below. Here is a list of what influenced me growing up:
  1. my dad was a huge Huskers fan;
  2. my older brothers were huge Huskers fans;
  3. football was my favorite sport;
  4. the games were always on the radio, and they were the only team we watched on TV;
  5. there weren't any other D-1 schools to follow in the area in the 70s;
  6. they almost always won.
It's a different question, though, to ask why an adult still follows Nebraska football, especially if (like me) the person isn't from Nebraska, didn't live there, and didn't go to school there. For me, it's still overwhelmingly because of my dad. Tom Osborne and my dad seemed like they could have grown up in the same family, and Nebraska's style of football fit the farm life that I grew up with. Hard work, strength, toughness, tenacity, and striving for perfection were what I grew up with, and they were what I most associated with Nebraska football. I also always loved the combination of power and finesse in the option game. I wanted to be Turner Gill. I still watch his highlights sometimes in the off-season, and I'm still in awe.

I pretty much quit following Nebraska football after Callahan's first season. I no longer recognized what I saw on the field. I came back around when Bo came back. I lost interest, again, in Riley's 2nd year. Once we lost to Northern Illinois last year, and it became increasingly obvious that Riley would be gone, I became more interested than in any time since Osborne retired.

Whenever I come across someone else who is a Huskers fan but didn't grow up in Nebraska, there is often a similar sort of connection to that Osborne era mentality. Clarence Thomas said that he was introduced to Nebraska football because his wife was from Omaha, but he became a fan because he loved the way they played for the same reasons I did. The bandwagon fans of the 90s are long gone, so when you still meet a die-hard, it's always fun to ask why.

Last edited:
If you have to try to explain to someone why you are a proud Nebraskan............they won't understand it any way.

First game in Lincoln was 1991 I believe vs CSU. We won like 73-14. It was a bludgeoning.

Why am I a Husker fan? Easy, Oh Ewe NU 1971. We never got to sit at the adult table as kids. We sat with tv trays in front of the tv. Back then we played Oh Ewe on Thanksgiving. My brother asked who do you like? I said the team in white. Still the best game I ever saw. Johnny the Jet sealed my fate with the punt return.

In the 1970s thru the 1980s, my parents would leave the house during the Oh Ewe NU games as my brother became an Oh Ewe fan. Sooner Magic still haunts me and I have nightmares of many of the 5-6 we lost in a row.

Last edited:
Music City Bowl vs Tennessee. Still waiting for the opportunity to get to a game in Lincoln. I know, how can I call myself a Husker fan - I KNOW!

Music City Bowl vs Tennessee. Still waiting for the opportunity to get to a game in Lincoln. I know, how can I call myself a Husker fan - I KNOW!
I'm from Nebraska, raised in Nebraska, a Nebraska alumnus and life long fan. Having said that it's people like yourself that greatly help the program be a nationally recognized college football icon imo. Have a very good friend that's never been west of Pittsburgh yet he's a HUGE Husker fan. I asked him years ago why and he said he just loved the way Nebraska played the game.

Bottom line I'm happy Nebraska has so many fans that aren't from the state yet love the football team.

Last edited:

1973. Sorry to say that I can't remember the game, but I do remember the situation. My family didn't have much money but a friend of mine won the ticket (with a bus ride from Papillion) - I was about 12 at the time. I was a really big fan - so I bought it from him and went to the game. We got off the bus and the herded us underneath the stadium where we watched the game from behind a chain link fence at field level in the north end zone. A couple times when we scored, I stood up and hit my head because it was only about 4 foot tall (as I recall). Lousy seats, but such a cool experience to be RIGHT THERE when big red scored. I was hooked before that game, but even more so afterwards.

1987 - Nebraska 56, KsU 3

Sat in the student section when it was still on the West side. What a fun game that was for a first time.

I'm from Nebraska, raised in Nebraska, a Nebraska alumnus and life long fan. Having said that it's people like yourself that greatly help the program be a nationally recognized college football icon imo. Have a very good friend that's never been west of Pittsburgh yet he's a HUGE Husker fan. I asked him years ago why and he said he just loved the way Nebraska played the game.

Bottom line I'm happy Nebraska has so many fans that aren't from the state yet love the football team.
I have ties to Nebraska. Had a cousin on the team in the 80s. The Huskers are the only team I have been loyal to my entire life. GBR4L

Cotton Bowl Jan 1, 1974. Nebraska beat Texas (a 4 point favorite) 19 to 3. Smothering defense, led by Steve Manstedt and John Dutton, caused 5 turnovers and didn’t allow Roosevelt Leaks and the rest of the Longhorn offense in the end zone.

The first Runza I ever had was while I was in the north stadium during a Husker game in the early 80s I think. the guy behind me had a whole box and handed a bunch out to us. It warmed up both my hands and my stomach!

In 2008 I was in a Runza commercial. They paid me $75 and a $100 Runza gift certificate. And yes, I do like them a lot.

I was born and raised in Lincoln and became a Boy Scout usher in 1963.
2/4 grandparents (both grandmas) and both parents were alums and had season tix for decades.
1st game as a 6 year old was Iowa State in 1958. NU won 7-6.
2nd was during three years we lived in Denver when a good CU team won in Boulder, 6-19 on 10/22/60.
First game I remember was seeing the Cornhuskers beat KSU in Lincoln on 10/20/62 by 26-6.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back