• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Time Do The Huskers Play Today?

Embarrassing to say the least.

Nebraska has the highest baseball budget in the B1G (and the best coach, cough cough), and to not make the tourney... Well, maybe one of those SEC schools will take him off our hands (fingers crossed!)

Iowa hired a baseball coach.
5 years in, let's take a look at this post with stats:

Coach Heller conference finish:
7th place
Conference Runner-Up
8th place
4th place
6th place

Coach Erstad conference finish:
4th place
Conference Runner-Up
Conference Runner-Up

8th place
Conference Runner-Up
Conference Champions

10th place

No super regional appearances for either team, Erstad 8-9 his first 5 years at Nebraska in the B1G tourney, Heller 9-8 with a tournament championship. Erstad 1-4 in regionals his first 5 years, Heller 3-4. I can only imagine how if Erstad had the same numbers and finished the regular season at those places in conference, how I would be being told that "one post-season tourney win doesn't make up for the terrible regular seasons and never getting out of a regional." In fact, I would probably argue Erstad may not still be here and would be fired.

Here comes the spin zone and how "coaches I know..." speak will come. But looking at this, maybe a "magic World Series ring" that brought us an actual conference championship ring isn't so bad after all if Iowa's coach is who we are aspiring to hire. Conference runner-up or Conference champion 2 out of every 3 years isn't the worst thing in the world. In fact, it's pretty good.

Last edited:
Heller? I thought the shortlist was three Omaha HS coaches with such command of baseball’s deeply subtle nuances that a 14-year MLB vet (over a career of 1,654 games) couldn’t possibly have seen nearly enough to match their strategic genius.
3 Omaha HS coaches that are either still sending their kids to play for Erstad, or not making the state tournament mind you. So much baseball acumen!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back