• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What if we hadn't played transfer roulette?

wheat

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Let me preface this with saying that I don't know the reasons guys transferred out and it's quite likely at least a couple would have left, no matter what. The premise of this post is that it is better to build your team from HS players than constantly play the transfer market. I believe building your own program, rather than grabbing whatever pieces you can get from free agency, allows establishment of a much stronger team culture. This isn't meant to disrespect the efforts of the guys who transferred in to Nebraska. I think Copeland was a great addition. I do, however, think it's clear there have been issues with team chemistry with the approach Miles has taken.

So, here's the question. Would we have been better off with Michael Jacobson (12 ppg at ISU), Jeriah Horne (10 ppg at Tulsa), Ed Morrow (6 ppg at Marquette) and Jordy Tshimanga than the current roster? I'd also include Xavier Johnson (16.5 ppg at Pitt) in the list because he was all N until Kenya Hunter left. If we had the players that actually committed to Nebraska out of HS, the starting line up could be Watson, Xavier Johnson, Roby and Jacobson, with Morrow or Tshimanga as the fifth starter depending on match-ups. That would leave Allen, Horne, Morrow/Tshimanga, Akenten and Borchardt coming off the bench, with Heiman redshirting.

Again, I know it's unlikely that everyone would have stayed, but that would have been a very solid team with good depth. That would be still be true even with a couple of transfers out. Part of the challenge is recruiting kids with the requisite talent level and willingness to put the team first, but I also think you have to find a way to establish a stronger team culture. Parenthetically speaking, I'd argue a coherent offensive system would also support a healthier culture. The point isn't so much to lament the present or what might have been. It is mostly to express the hope our next coach builds a program from the ground up rather than relying so heavily on the transfer market.

I guess we would have to have a solid understanding of the "Why" to get a fair answer. ( understand you acknowledge this as an unknown) In my speculative opinion at least a major portion of the transfers ( and assistant coaches leaving too) have to do with what happens in the locker room and practices. If that guess is at all accurate I do not think the players staying would matter and I wonder if they would even have the same production at UNL that they have had at the landing spots if they stayed. If all is good I for sure want to see a team build from the ground up rather than resemble the Johnny Cash "One Piece At A Time" song.

I would have loved to have seen Jacobson and Morrow stay with the team. I don't know if they would have stayed if Copeland and JPJ didn't come into the program. You are probably right that their are not many teams that consistently win with transfer players.

The only one I can think of is Gonzaga. They always have 2-3 transfer guys on the team. They also always have a couple good international players. Nevada is winning with transfers this year, I think all of their starters are transfers.

Its an interesting question.

The only one I can think of is Gonzaga. They always have 2-3 transfer guys on the team. They also always have a couple good international players. Nevada is winning with transfers this year, I think all of their starters are transfers.

Its an interesting question.
Iowa State with Hoiberg, Colorado State with Miles... :Stirthepot:

Transfers are a fact of life anymore. Unless you are Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. you're probably going to have to give strong consideration into bringing transfers in. There are guys that can help that are leaving the previous school for good reasons. Mo Watson ultimately was too good to be buried at Boston U. He came to Creighton and was playing at an all american level before he got hurt. I'd be wary of transfers who may be doing so because they didn't "get my shots" or who had other problems. But you really can't dismiss the transfer market.

I kinda like the 1 and done transfers too. Another CU example. CU brought in Conner Cashaw..something like 15ppg at Rice. CU had the room, no HS player to take the spot so why not? If he contributes great! And if he sucks he's gone next year anyway. Turns out he mostly sucks. But Ricky Kreklow was a decent 1 year player on a bad CU team a few years back.

Iowa State with Hoiberg, Colorado State with Miles... :Stirthepot:

I'll take your word for it with Miles at CSU, because I don't know. I am talking sustained success. Few @ Gonzaga has been doing it in Spokane at a high level going on 20 years and ever since I have started paying attention to them they have always had transfers and international players.

You never know if the guys like Jacobsen, Morrow etc. would produce here like they are at their present schools. Jacobsen and Morrow had their moments here but Jacobsen had to play the 5 out of position here much like Roby is.

You never know if the guys like Jacobsen, Morrow etc. would produce here like they are at their present schools. Jacobsen and Morrow had their moments here but Jacobsen had to play the 5 out of position here much like Roby is.
I would have to think that Morrow could at least contribute the 5pts/4 rebounds per game he is giving to Marquette.

Much as I would have liked Morrow and Jacobson to stay and succeed - both needed to redshirt - Morrow to get healthy and Jacobson to put on weight and figure out his game. They wouldn't have gotten that chance at Nebraska. The other guys are a mix of projects and never gonna happens. We really missed Tarin Smith, for example.

If you want to see who's been here and gone, this site keeps a good list:
https://verbalcommits.com/schools/nebraska

It also has specious recruiting information.

I would have to think that Morrow could at least contribute the 5pts/4 rebounds per game he is giving to Marquette.

He had better stats at Nebraska. Jacobson definitely needed to RS. from watching ISU play a couple of times he plays down low like he did at Nebraska, he has a little more meat on his bones. though.

Transfers are a fact of life anymore. Unless you are Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. you're probably going to have to give strong consideration into bringing transfers in. There are guys that can help that are leaving the previous school for good reasons. Mo Watson ultimately was too good to be buried at Boston U. He came to Creighton and was playing at an all american level before he got hurt. I'd be wary of transfers who may be doing so because they didn't "get my shots" or who had other problems. But you really can't dismiss the transfer market.

I kinda like the 1 and done transfers too. Another CU example. CU brought in Conner Cashaw..something like 15ppg at Rice. CU had the room, no HS player to take the spot so why not? If he contributes great! And if he sucks he's gone next year anyway. Turns out he mostly sucks. But Ricky Kreklow was a decent 1 year player on a bad CU team a few years back.

I generally agree. I am not suggesting we should never explore the transfer market. I do think the transfers need to fill gaps in a program rather serve as the foundation. We leaned on Petteway/Pitchford and Copeland/Palmer to be focal points. Nothing against any of those guys but I think it's a sign of trouble if you're relying on transfers as foundational players.

You would also hope the program is mature enough at some point to redshirt the guys that really need the year in the weight room. Too many guys have been forced in to playing when they're not ready. That essentially results in the forfeiture of what should be their most productive season (5th year senior).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back