• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What I want..a Husker wishlist

The whole sideline demeanor thing is the biggest red herring in the program. Riley could yell, grab facemasks, and dress down a couple of assistants and I'm pretty sure it’s not good for a 7 touchdown swing against Ohio St.

NU has a Monday through Friday problem. The kids aren’t being prepared to play their best football during the week.
I don’t thinks it’s a red herring and it’s more than just a sideline thing. It’s modeling toughness all the time. For me, in the Army it was the drill instructor who didn’t where gloves and a coat in 20 degree weather. The Commander at Jump School running around the training grounds mid day in 90 degree temps with a 80 lb. ruck. The RI hopping into a cold stream in February etc etc

The, “Toughness is role modeled comment” is spot on. When I see Riley bundled up in a parka, gloves, and stocking cap when it’s 40 outside and stands by himself in a contemplative pose it oozes weakness. He just does not set a tone for toughness.

How did Brady "A Michigan Man Does Not Wear Sleeves" Hoke work out? This is overblown a bit

I don’t thinks it’s a red herring and it’s more than just a sideline thing. It’s modeling toughness all the time. For me, in the Army it was the drill instructor who didn’t where gloves and a coat in 20 degree weather. The Commander at Jump School running around the training grounds mid day in 90 degree temps with a 80 lb. ruck. The RI hopping into a cold stream in February etc etc

You are drawing some pretty sweeping conclusions based on your own personal experience in the military, an entity preparing for war not for a game. College football coaches need to be great teachers way more than they need to be epitomes of male ruggedness.

This is how Tom looked most of time on the sideline:

0E0E5421-DFE5-4235-A7B3-677348477E8C.jpeg

Last edited:

Thank you. I would love a discussion of what we want rather than who we want. If someone with more X's and O's knowledge started a thread about what type of offense (zone read, option, pro) and why. I'm much more interested in that (right now), than WHO is the person to save our program.
Yep:nod:

Reactions: Yep
First post, finally joined...

I think the discussion has been too focused on "a guy" rather than what Husker football should be again. As Moos puts together his blueprint for Husker football I hope it includes this list (and more).
  • Toughness (physical and mental)
  • Player/position competition
  • Discipline (stern, straightforward and fair)
  • Walk-ons
  • Consistency
  • Players being benched for mistakes
  • Players that practice like its Saturday every day
  • Playtime based on how you practice
  • Counters, Traps and Options
  • Accountability
  • Senior Leadership
These are qualities of the teams I remember watching and some of what I would like returned to this program. If Moos defines Husker football as something I remember watching for a long time, I will be fine if he keeps Riley, hires Frost or the man on the moon. As long as he thinks that person is the right one to restore Husker football to what it once was and should be again.

The list is nice superficially, but not realistic IMHO.
  • Walk-ons
  • Consistency
  • Accountability
  • Senior Leadership
Toughness is role modeled. Frost is a tough role model. Riley plays a weak, frail leader.

I can't argue about needing competition. I want 3-4 scrimmages going at reps time. Mix up the opposing scouts while the side of the ball being focused upon gets reps. Run your depth chart so guys eat, sleep, live it. Every once in awhile play 1v1, 2v2, etc to see what side of the ball is ahead. What used to impress me about the walk-on program wasn't the game players. No I was always impressed how NU had a better scout team than many others had second strings. We lost that focus on manufacturing mass scrimmages. Even if you don't play in games its fun for the scrubs!

I disfavor 'benched' versus 'promotion'. Be ready for your promotion. Earn it.

Practice all-Americans are not every down players. Competition will weed out talent to a certain degree. But coaches need to rotate on potential, too. Get some quality reps in for backups every other series at least, not each game. Backups eventually want to be starters. Keep them involved.

The list is nice superficially, but not realistic IMHO.
  • Walk-ons
  • Consistency
  • Accountability
  • Senior Leadership
Toughness is role modeled. Frost is a tough role model. Riley plays a weak, frail leader.

I can't argue about needing competition. I want 3-4 scrimmages going at reps time. Mix up the opposing scouts while the side of the ball being focused upon gets reps. Run your depth chart so guys eat, sleep, live it. Every once in awhile play 1v1, 2v2, etc to see what side of the ball is ahead. What used to impress me about the walk-on program wasn't the game players. No I was always impressed how NU had a better scout team than many others had second strings. We lost that focus on manufacturing mass scrimmages. Even if you don't play in games its fun for the scrubs!

I disfavor 'benched' versus 'promotion'. Be ready for your promotion. Earn it.

Practice all-Americans are not every down players. Competition will weed out talent to a certain degree. But coaches need to rotate on potential, too. Get some quality reps in for backups every other series at least, not each game. Backups eventually want to be starters. Keep them involved.

Once upon a time, this was an everyday occurance. There were 4 stations EVERY day and at the end of the day it was 1's vs 1's. There are enough assistants and GA's to manage 4 stations. Right now, we have to many 'standing around' watchers.

Last edited:
Be it reps or drills, you need the whole team in motion. The less downtime, the less grab a$$ on the team. Players that are good usually exhibit ADD/ADHD because they need to participate or they lose focus. Almost every player had the coaches undivided attention in high school and suddenly they get no attention unless they somehow win the lottery. Try hard to never be that coach that plays the best 11 in your opinion. You probably have a great half dozen and multiples of journeyman types that are competent to get snaps. Find them. Keep the whole team busy, even the guys unable to reach journeyman level. Scrimmages are a great place to do that IMHO.

You are drawing some pretty sweeping conclusions based on your own personal experience in the military, an entity preparing for war not for a game. College football coaches need to be great teachers way more than they need to be epitomes of male ruggedness.

This is how Tom looked most of time on the sideline:

View attachment 13092
Maybe. But Tom ran a VERY disciplined ship. He talked about how football was a spartan game, the importance of running the ball, physicality etc. He didn’t need to be the tough guy because he had Christian Peter breaking beer bottles on his head.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back