• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What I want..a Husker wishlist

The list is nice superficially, but not realistic IMHO.
  • Toughness (physical and mental)
  • Player/position competition
  • Discipline (stern, straightforward and fair)
  • Walk-ons
  • Consistency
  • Players being benched for mistakes
  • Players that practice like its Saturday every day
  • Playtime based on how you practice
  • Counters, Traps and Options
  • Accountability
  • Senior Leadership
Toughness is role modeled. Frost is a tough role model. Riley plays a weak, frail leader.

I can't argue about needing competition. I want 3-4 scrimmages going at reps time. Mix up the opposing scouts while the side of the ball being focused upon gets reps. Run your depth chart so guys eat, sleep, live it. Every once in awhile play 1v1, 2v2, etc to see what side of the ball is ahead. What used to impress me about the walk-on program wasn't the game players. No I was always impressed how NU had a better scout team than many others had second strings. We lost that focus on manufacturing mass scrimmages. Even if you don't play in games its fun for the scrubs!

I disfavor 'benched' versus 'promotion'. Be ready for your promotion. Earn it.

Practice all-Americans are not every down players. Competition will weed out talent to a certain degree. But coaches need to rotate on potential, too. Get some quality reps in for backups every other series at least, not each game. Backups eventually want to be starters. Keep them involved.

The, “Toughness is role modeled comment” is spot on. When I see Riley bundled up in a parka, gloves, and stocking cap when it’s 40 outside and stands by himself in a contemplative pose it oozes weakness. He just does not set a tone for toughness.

First post, finally joined...

I think the discussion has been too focused on "a guy" rather than what Husker football should be again. As Moos puts together his blueprint for Husker football I hope it includes this list (and more).
  • Toughness (physical and mental)
  • Player/position competition
  • Discipline (stern, straightforward and fair)
  • Walk-ons
  • Consistency
  • Players being benched for mistakes
  • Players that practice like its Saturday every day
  • Playtime based on how you practice
  • Counters, Traps and Options
  • Accountability
  • Senior Leadership
These are qualities of the teams I remember watching and some of what I would like returned to this program. If Moos defines Husker football as something I remember watching for a long time, I will be fine if he keeps Riley, hires Frost or the man on the moon. As long as he thinks that person is the right one to restore Husker football to what it once was and should be again.

A very fine first post, welcome aboard

Reactions: Yep

The, “Toughness is role modeled comment” is spot on. When I see Riley bundled up in a parka, gloves, and stocking cap when it’s 40 outside and stands by himself in a contemplative pose it oozes weakness. He just does not set a tone for toughness.
You're at every game, both home and away, and you have your binoculars focused on Riley the entire time he's on the field?

Or...

You see only what the TV broadcast shows: probably less than 3 minutes out of a 3 or 4 hour game?

Toughness can also be turned into something tangible, for example:
When "interviewing" a recruit, ask them who they model their play after or who are their favorite players. If they say someone that puts on a show but isn't who you think of as tough, there is no offer. If they say, Lewis, Lynch, Mathieu etc: Here is your offer.

Curious how you perceive this about Frost, who exhibits as stoic a demeanor on the sidelines as his former college coach.

The whole sideline demeanor thing is the biggest red herring in the program. Riley could yell, grab facemasks, and dress down a couple of assistants and I'm pretty sure it’s not good for a 7 touchdown swing against Ohio St.

NU has a Monday through Friday problem. The kids aren’t being prepared to play their best football during the week.

A very fine first post, welcome aboard
Thank you. I would love a discussion of what we want rather than who we want. If someone with more X's and O's knowledge started a thread about what type of offense (zone read, option, pro) and why. I'm much more interested in that (right now), than WHO is the person to save our program.

The whole sideline demeanor thing is the biggest red herring in the program. Riley could yell, grab facemasks, and dress down a couple of assistants and I'm pretty sure it’s not good for a 7 touchdown swing against Ohio St.

NU has a Monday through Friday problem. The kids aren’t being prepared to play their best football during the week.

I do get what you are saying regarding Riley, I'm more curious what Frost has exhibited on the sidelines that leads the poster to believe he models toughness. He may be referring to how UCF plays, but moany on this board have never equated spread schemes with tough football.

WE have enough talent for a 9 or 10 wins season, all the other stuff is just that, we need stars and we don't have them or they are hurt. We have not developed as a team or as players. When you sit a guy like Ziggy or play a guy like Tre when he is hurt, something is wrong. The problem is the coaches, not the players.

Thank you. I would love a discussion of what we want rather than who we want. If someone with more X's and O's knowledge started a thread about what type of offense (zone read, option, pro) and why. I'm much more interested in that (right now), than WHO is the person to save our program.

Speaks to identity, doesn't it? I've stated before in these threads I don't know what Nebraska is right now. There are lots of opinions about what it could or should be, however, lots of good ones.

My simple hope is that - should Riley be let go - Nebraska fans find a way to get behind whomever replaces him.

Reactions: Yep

I do get what you are saying regarding Riley, I'm more curious what Frost has exhibited on the sidelines that leads the poster to believe he models toughness. He may be referring to how UCF plays, but moany on this board have never equated spread schemes with tough football.

I’d frame it this way. If Frost is the next man up, the very first time his team has a bad day, he’s going to get criticized for being too stoic just as TO was right up until 60-3.

I’d frame it this way. If Frost is the next man up, the very first time his team has a bad day, he’s going to get criticized for being too stoic just as TO was right up until 60-3.

Ha, good point! Kind of fickle, aren't we? Frost is getting a lot of run right now, and it is well deserved. That change he made in scheme and the belief he instilled early, that's good stuff. It is stuff that has people in the Nebraska fan base excited because he is "ours" - Nebraska fans have had to hang onto hope for several years in lieu of bonfires excellence, Frost gives them hope.

Last edited:

You're at every game, both home and away, and you have your binoculars focused on Riley the entire time he's on the field?

Or...

You see only what the TV broadcast shows: probably less than 3 minutes out of a 3 or 4 hour game?
I doubt he’s throwing that parka, stocking cap and mittens on for 3 minutes.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back