• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What do Riley and Company

lots of prep time for a good solid road win at perdue, that is momentum the team needs, just get the first win, get some confidence, then look forward to the next week, we have 3 very winable games before we travel to Penn St. Its all about confidence and execution. The defense will snap back to pre Wisc first half

1. More blitz packages... we saw sitting back and waiting is not a good strategy against good offenses... I know that opens you up to big plays but also can force mistakes that get you the ball back... whether it be turnovers or putting teams way behind the chains and forcing 3rd and long.

2. More I-formation set with play-action... get a FB in there hammering LBs in the holes and hit DPE on a quick hitter.

3. Hit WRs in stride... whether it be on crossing routes, slants or whatever... the guys need to be catching the ball in stride... we have special players in the open field. Don't slow them down.

I commend all of you for posting serious, well thought out replies (mostly). I saw the OP header and could only think if snarky sarcastic responses.

I commend all of you for posting serious, well thought out replies (mostly). I saw the OP header and could only think if snarky sarcastic responses.

Yeah, I thought about that as well and I appreciate the great replies. There are so many threads about who the next coach will be I thought it would be good to look at this current team/coaching staff and think of ways the team can get better. Since we are on this board, we are obviously fans and have some football smarts. My thoughts are going back to the fundamentals in HS Football Practice. The fundamentals of blocking and tackling for example. I think that should be focused on for improvement. There have been comments that Riley and Co practices are not very physical. I think that is what needs to change the most, because you play like you practice.

One thing I'd do is ask Dave Rimington to invite the O-line and tight ends (without their coaches) down to Misty's for a little mid-season recognition dinner. I love Mistys, even just walking in the door, that delicious smell and even the sizzle just puts you in the mood.

I'd have him say how proud of them he is that they've improved so much in their pass blocking, especially by communicating and picking up on their assignments, but that he mostly wants to talk about them about their run blocking.

Then he'd give them a few minutes to look at their menus and right before the waitress starts to take their order, Dave would stand up to speak to them all: "It's true in run blocking you have to get your assignment right, but you also have to play like you're hungry and play with aggression. Now I told you all this is a recognition dinner and it is, because at this moment you're going to recognize that you're not eating steak tonight. I'm eating steak tonight. You're all going home now on the team bus instead. You haven't earned it yet.

"Now I'm pretty sure this experience is going to make you recognize number 1, that you gotta dominate first if the team's gonna eat and then recognize number 2, my face on the guy across from you when you line up against Purdue, so you'll hate him so much it makes you want to pound him into the dirt."

Then Rimington'd pause and then ask if anyone had any questions and when they didn't he'd say, "Good. You shouldn't have any questions. What you've got to do is simple. You already know that. And to tell you the truth, you haven't earned the right to ask any questions yet. Now leave."

Then he'd turn to the waitress and order a king cut prime rib, double order, and their very best bottle of cabernet. And when he left he'd give the waitress the same tip she'd have gotten if they'd all eaten, because it isn't her fault we can't run block yet.

And then he'd send the bill to Mike Cavanaugh.

Seriously? I think bypassing the coaching staff role in this debacle to try and make a punitive statement with the players is ridiculous. Once they get back to practice they still have Cavanaugh. The players don't get to design the scheme or roster.

Seriously? I think bypassing the coaching staff role in this debacle to try and make a punitive statement with the players is ridiculous. Once they get back to practice they still have Cavanaugh. The players don't get to design the scheme or roster.
That was mostly tongue in cheek. I wouldn't actually do this to the players. Just making a point. But whether due to coaching or player desire, I think there is a large lack of nasty, aggression, and drive to dominate in the O-line. Although I would like Cavanaugh to be fired tomorrow, both parties need to be taken to task for that. My excluding Cavanaugh but then sending him the bill was my way of mentioning that.

Last edited:
That was mostly tongue in cheek. I wouldn't actually do this to the players. Just making a point. But whether due to coaching or player desire, I think there is a large lack of nasty, aggression, and drive to dominate in the O-line. Although I would like Cavanaugh to be fired tomorrow, both parties need to be taken to task for that. My excluding Cavanaugh but then sending him the bill was my way of mentioning that.

My bad. Should have caught the sarcasm in it.

Last edited:

This staff needs to separate those players who play with passion and desire from those who have stars behind thier names and simply go through the motions. In other words play those who have an attitude about winning.
No doubt this program needs an attitude adjustment. But most of all, they need a kick in the arse. Positive coaching usually does not get you out of a hole like this. Time to turn up the heat.

Last edited:
On offense: diversifying the rushing plays we run, and endless catching drills for the wide receivers.
On defense: endless tackling drills for the entire defense, and installing additional blitzes.

Implementing significantly more physical practices on both sides of the ball.

Here's a couple things that come to mind:

-Start your running back who had 3 100 yard games in a row and let him find a rhythm.
-Take the play-calling duties away from the same guy you had to take them away from at OSU.
-Be a head coach and tell your DC that his pillow soft coverage isn't working. Find a scheme your current players can run.
-Tell your 3-4 star DB's that if they can't figure out which man is theirs in man coverage, then walk-on's can show them for the rest of the season.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back