• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What away games have you been to?

Discoverer27

Scout Team
5 Year Member
Went to NU and have a lot of college friends but still have a core group of Columbus High buddies. Upon graduating from NU in '90, and some from other colleges, we Columbus guys started taking a guys only weekend trip to an away game. Has taken place every year beginning in '90. Started out with about 14 or 15 of us but that has decreased to about 8 guys that still make the trip most every year. Was pretty crazy when we first started as we were in our early 20s and most of us weren't married. No one had much money in the early days so we kept it the Big 8 teams as we could drive and had a blast road tripping. I haven't made the trip each year.
My away games attended are limited to all of the Big 8 schools and the Citrus bowl in Orlando in '91 when we got smoked bad. How about you guys?

Edit: forgot about Northwestern. Been there a couple of times. That is a great trip. Don't have to rent a car as you can take the train from either airport to Wrigleyville where we stayed and up to NW.

Last edited:

It will be interesting to see if any of us made it to Japan.

I have been to games from NY to San Diego and Seattle to Miami. All Big 8 stops except Stillwater. Too lazy to try and remember every one.

Mizzu & KU for most of the 90s.
KSU in 2010
OU in 94 and 96
Okie St in 95
WV in 94
ND in 2000
SoMiss in 03
Baylor in 05
USC in 06
1996 & 2010 Big 12 CCGs.
2000 Fiesta vs Tenn.
2005 Alamo vs Mich.

Oh and non-football related, TAM for a nut twisting contest in 2010...we lost.

Last edited:
2009 Gator Bowl is the only game I've seen outside of Memorial Stadium. Bought tickets through the NU ticket office but then I got tickets through a relative from the Omaha mayor's office.

Entering the stadium we walked right past Johnny Rodgers and I didn't even realize it was him until he was long gone. :Banghead:

I was planning to go to the 2009 Holiday Bowl but my daughter decided to get married on the same day. :Banghead:

Last edited:
Music City Bowl & Purdue (2014?)

Will try to get up to either Purdue or Illinois game next year.

GBR!

Citrus (now Cap One) 1991
Orange Bowls 1992, 93, 94, 97
Fiesta 1995
Gator 2009
Kickoff Classic 1989 (?), 1994
Ped St-twice in the 80s, 2002, 2011 (?)
UCLA 1993
Washington 2010
Southern Miss 2003?
Wake Forest early 2000s

Biggest regrets not attending-Colorado, aTm. Oregon.
Future games-Northwestern and Tennessee if we ever get them back on the schedule, was really looking forward to the once that was canceled.

1993 KU - 21-20 NU win
1996 - K-State - 35-3 NU win
1999 - KU - 35-0 NU win
2001 - KU - 51-7 NU win
2005 Alamo Bowl vs. Michigan - 32-28 NU win

I'll just list the venues that I can remember: Mizzou, Kansas, Iowa State (x2), Northwestern (x2), Notre Dame, Michigan State (x2), Ohio State, Penn State (x2), Virginia Tech, Fresno State

Next time DONU comes to Evanston, we need to set up a get together for all the Cornhusker fans in the area!

I'll just list the venues that I can remember: Mizzou, Kansas, Iowa State (x2), Northwestern (x2), Notre Dame, Michigan State (x2), Ohio State, Penn State (x2), Virginia Tech, Fresno State

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back