• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What are your town’s links to Husker lore?

WestTexasHusker

All Legend
10 Year Member
Amarillo has a few cool connections to UNL fame and fortune:

1. When UNL was looking at moving from AstroTurf to Fieldturf, our high school stadium here, Dick Bivins Stadium, was the first stadium in the US with Fieldturf.

Frank Solich, Bill Byrne, and a host of assistants flew to Amarillo on a private jet. :Welcome:came to the stadium to check out the field, loaded up, and flew back to Lincoln. :Peacesign:

UNL then installed Field Turf. I actually asked coach Solich about the Fieldturf at the Beverly Hilton the day before the 2002 Rose Bowl, and he said “we like the surface real well.”:Cheers:

2. Corrie Cooper, a graduate of Amarillo High School, was All-America outside hitter for UNL volleyball, as well as national champion! :Huskerflag:

3. Bill Bobbora, Amarillo High class of 1985, lettered two years at UNL in football.:Helmet:

4. Tom Osborne has been here several times over the years as the keynote speaker for FCA. We got handshakes and photos with him 2 years ago. I told him I sure enjoyed watching his grandson Courtney play at UNL.:to:

Last edited:

I believe Matt Slauson came from Colorado Springs (Air Academy). huskrthill lives here now. I win!!!!!

Fremont - Duncan Drum (center from early 60s) Richie Bahe (Johnny Rodgers replacement), Zach Wiegert (national champion!), Randy Poeschl (DT 1975), Gerry Gdowski, QB

Last edited:

I forgot these...

Saw Ryan Held Coach two teams against our local West Texas A&M team. He coached Oklahoma Panhandle State, and Southwestern OK State. Both of his teams were absolutely dreadful, though likely no fault of Ryan’s. I mean who is going to Goodwell, Oklahoma to play ball?

Steve Allen, a LB in one of Cally’s classes, was academically ineligible at UNL so he played for West Texas A&M quite well, until he through his helmet and cracked a guy’s skull.

Last edited:

I have none to my recollection, other than the many beatings NEBRASKA did here for many years. It's a KSU town but has alot of Husker fans. I guess if it counts HCSF was a safeties coach here for a bit.
I know one scholarship player from Manhattan, but I don't think he ever saw the field.

Fremont - Duncan Drum (center from early 60s) Richie Bahe (Johnny Rodgers replacement), Zach Wiegert (national champion!), Randy Poeschl (DT 1975), Gerry Gdowski, QB

Don't forget Erich Wiegert and Dan Anderson. Also Chip Bahe and maybe a few others from Bergan HS that I'm forgetting.

I'm from Hastings, Nebraska. Played football while Dave Gillespie was the head coach. Walked by a picture of the 1954 Boys Basketball Team everyday. Tom Osborne started on the Team. Joel Wilks was a puny freshman when I graduated. Others from Hastings...Kevin Lightner, Ben Buettenback.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back