• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What are you reading?

51ntT5F1hLL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Please, no spoilers.

But if I had to guess how it ends, I'd say with a semicolon.

51swA%2BR7AQL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1862… the South wins the Civil War… America splits into two separate nations... 1942... Hitler wins World War II... the world powers as we knew them, are no more… 2019….the Nazis are worse than ever and out to conquer what’s left of the planet.
Oooooo, that sounds intriguing.

Hiking in the Northern Cascades
Top Trails Olympic National Park & Vicinity.

Recently read "Life is Good: The Book" about how the brothers built the business and brand.

51swA%2BR7AQL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1862… the South wins the Civil War… America splits into two separate nations... 1942... Hitler wins World War II... the world powers as we knew them, are no more… 2019….the Nazis are worse than ever and out to conquer what’s left of the planet.
Harry Turtledove did something similar. It wasn't too bad.

Duma Key by Stephen King and multiple "Learn German" books.

On a bit of a King kick right now: just finished Under the Dome and 11/22/63 right before that.

I've read that one. It's an incredible book for something that you would expect to be dry reading. It was most surprising for me that his empire was so accepting of multiple religions and peoples.
This is hardly unusual for empires. The definition of an empire virtually requires it. And empire is too big to not incorporate multiple peoples and religions. Examples Cyrus of Persia & Roman Empire, to name two.

Last edited:
This is hardly unusual for empires. The definition of an empire virtually requires it. And empire is too big to not incorporate multiple peoples and religions. Examples Cyrus of Persia & Roman Empire, to name two.
This is true but the Mongols wouldn't have been one I would have expected to be before I read the book. It really opened my eyes.

This is true but the Mongols wouldn't have been one I would have expected to be before I read the book. It really opened my eyes.
True. And also to be called a empire, one would have to be an empire, so if the Mongols weren't an empire we wouldn't call them that. Perhaps this book is to say that they were an empire and not a hoard of vandals.

IMO, this is the problem of today. How do we go from Nation States to larger less sovereign nations with freer trade (i.e. empire)? Empires are build on trade (also almost by definition) within the enlarged empire; adding peoples, territory expands and enriches the empire. One could call the EU an Empire (albeit without a singular power at the top). What we need is an uber entity to ensure rules and regulations... Ooops...

Last edited:
Nothing heavy over here. However, I am finishing the 4th book in a fun series of books. Robert passed away in May of 2008 and was working with Jody Lynn Nye with book #3. She wrote the final entry by herself. It's a fun series of books, based in New Orleans, and the main character is a Dragon, in human form.... It's sci-fi/fantasy, or is it? LOL!

51OpKeOg5%2BL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Bottomless Well: The Twilight of Fuel, the Virtue of Waste, and Why We Will Never Run Out of Energy

Peter Huber, Mark P. Mills
Basic Books, Mar 19, 2007 - Science - 256 pages
1 Review
The sheer volume of talk about energy, energy prices, and energy policy on both sides of the political aisle suggests that we must know something about these subjects. But according to Peter W. Huber and Mark P. Mills, the things we think we know are mostly myths. A better understanding of energy will radically change our views and policies on a number of very controversial issues. In The Bottomless Well, Huber and Mills show why energy is not scarce, why the price of energy doesn't matter very much, and why "waste" of energy is both necessary and desirable. Across the board, energy isn't the problem; energy is the solution

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Bottomless_Well.html?id=u4GXI7GoSH0C&source=kp_cover
First of three books I bought myself or received as a gift. This was published in 2005. In some respects it can stand some updating as events have surpassed some of their arguments. This book was written very early in the fracking era - and that success came to pass. Information technology, the cloud, etc. has done all they speculated on and more, would be great to have an update regarding autonomous vehicles and the progress made. They dis CFLs and say LEDs will be better and regulation unnecessary or unhelpful (while correct that LEDs are better than CFLs, they skip over that CFLs were good and it isnt a good idea to let the perfect get in the way of the good enough and regulation assured that both would have a market).

While we will never run out of oil (note, they say energy), that doesn't mean that we will have enough at a scale and a price that will allow economic growth. Unless we go nuclear in a big way, I do think we risk running out of energy. "Waste" of energy is a fact of process (not a virtue) the fact that we are refining/processing the energy to a more useful form (which is their main point). Don't read the subheading of this book title and think driving a gas hog is a virtue.

Probably the closest I have come to understanding the third law of thermodynamics. Probably the best thing about this book is the thought process and history and how we have incorporated information technologies in devices all along. Think spark timing, valves & camshafts. The changes in technology in steam engines that increased efficiency from a few percent to forty percent.

Last edited:
Reading a book about one of @cactusboy bete noirs

Pretty interesting and sobering to read the details of his formative youth in late Wiemar, early Nazi Germany. Have gotten through his war years and service in de-Nazification units and just finished with his graduation from Harvard and the break out of the Korean War. Only 600 more pages to get to 1968!

51r5ir8hiTL.jpg

Nothing heavy over here. However, I am finishing the 4th book in a fun series of books. Robert passed away in May of 2008 and was working with Jody Lynn Nye with book #3. She wrote the final entry by herself. It's a fun series of books, based in New Orleans, and the main character is a Dragon, in human form.... It's sci-fi/fantasy, or is it? LOL!

I remember reading his Xanth series many years ago, fun stuff. Might have to check this one out.

I read Daniel Silva's "The English Girl" over spring break. Good spy novel series, similar to Robert Ludlum's stuff (Bourne series).

I've read them in order, starting with the three at the bottom of this list:
http://danielsilvabooks.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/SeriesOrder_DanielSilva.pdf

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back