• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Welcome to Blow Your Elbow Out U.

59% of recruited pitchers have suffered arm injuries based on the article's numbers.

Imagine if 1 out of every 2 WRs suffered a knee injury...

Not saying I told you so, but I told you so

I called this many years ago with the way he used his pitchers in the early season

I still maintain we should have hired a baseball coach and not a former major Leaguer with a Magic World Series ring

Not saying I told you so, but I told you so

I called this many years ago with the way he used his pitchers in the early season

I still maintain we should have hired a baseball coach and not a former major Leaguer with a Magic World Series ring

What specific use of pitchers early in the season are you saying contributes to the problem?

FWIW, a pro scout I know attributes the problem to the arm slot Silva teaches. This didn't make the article.

What specific use of pitchers early in the season are you saying contributes to the problem?

FWIW, a pro scout I know attributes the problem to the arm slot Silva teaches. This didn't make the article.
I think a very valid "fault" if you will for Erstad is he's pretty loyal. As @BasilLongfellow has brought up, does Kirby bring more to the table than possibly bringing in the coach from Hutch that has relationships all over the state? Silva started out keeping us somewhat respectable the first few years, but it seems we are recruiting well and not gaining much on staff the past couple years, could we look elsewhere for a pitching guy?

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but Silva and Kirby's relationships on the west coast aren't as valuable as someone locally or heck even in Ohio where we've pulled 3 or 4 guys from the same team in my opinion. I'm not smart enough to know who we could replace them with so that's why I don't talk about it much. I also don't know enough about baseball arm injuries that's why I don't speak on it much either, except for knowing it should be better than it is.

Thanks for the read.

The head coach is completely responsible for his assistants. And Silva is a serious issue.

These numbers are much more than coincidence. Heck, that has to play a role in recruiting. If a potential pitching recruit reads this article, he'd have to strongly consider crossing NU off the list.

Regardless of arm slot, when you continuously throw pitchers 100+ pitches in Feb and March you are going to have problems.

And another thing I'll continue to say:

Its not the fact we hired Erstad, its how do you get rid of him? Alumni, former NU all american, and, lest we forget Booster Of Substance

Regardless of arm slot, when you continuously throw pitchers 100+ pitches in Feb and March you are going to have problems.

Its not the fact we hired Erstad, its how do you get rid of him? Alumni, former NU all american, and, lest we forget Booster Of Substance

Excellent example of throwing the baby out with the bath water.....:Banghead:

We don't do that early; in fact we throw them fewer innings early than do many of our opponents. Find me the number of times we have thrown someone in the first month of the season 100 or more pitches. Not very many. Your word "continuously" is inaccurate.

We don't do that early; in fact we throw them fewer innings early than do many of our opponents. Find me the number of times we have thrown someone in the first month of the season 100 or more pitches. Not very many. Your word "continuously" is inaccurate.

Yeah, that didn't seem to jive with my memory, so I checked it out. I went back to the 2014 season and only found one time where it happened in the first 4 weeks. I'm sure I would find more if I went all the way through March, but I think it's safe to say it isn't continuously. Starting pitchers for NUs opponents threw 100+ numerous times in those same games.

This season, it has happened four times to this point, with those all coming more recently. Oregon St. starters have thrown 100+ pitches 10 times this season already.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back