• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We need more Ozigbos

Bigger Ed

XL Cranial Shield w/ Auxiliary Vision Enhancement
5 Year Member
Huskers 247

It's fair to think Ozigbo was underused at Nebraska during his early years.

"Coming into this year, I definitely knew that it might not be all I wanted. We have so many talented guys here, so I knew I was going to be in a limited role but I was just going to try to make the most out of it," he said.

The kid stuck it out and now looks like he may be headed to the next level. Very admirable. Last player I can think of that emerged from the shadows like that was Joey Ganz. We need more of those guys.

I agree with the thread's title. And who would have thought we'd be saying that back in August?

Read somewhere that he took his bf % from 16% down to around 12% during the season. Kudos to Duval but major props to Ziggy. That's one heck of a commitment to make sure your Senior season leaves no doubts.

If this doesn't light a fire under more upper classman I don't know what will. A guy who probably had zero chance at the NFL will now get drafted because of 1 breakout season as a Senior. Remarkable

Huskers 247

The kid stuck it out and now looks like he may be headed to the next level. Very admirable. Last player I can think of that emerged from the shadows like that was Joey Ganz. We need more of those guys.

I love the story. Great example for others trying to make a breakthrough. I agree about Ganz and his final breakthrough at NU, but don't forget Janovich. I love to watch him play on Sundays after finally getting a chance to really perform at FB his senior year.

I love the story. Great example for others trying to make a breakthrough. I agree about Ganz and his final breakthrough at NU, but don't forget Janovich. I love to watch him play on Sundays after finally getting a chance to really perform at FB his senior year.
I still dont understand why Pelini and his O. Coordinators never took advantage of Janovich's ability as a ball carrier.

I still dont understand why Pelini and his O. Coordinators never took advantage of Janovich's ability as a ball carrier.
Hard to explain how these HC s work sometimes, but then he isnt here and neither is Riley, must explain something.

Devine had 87 yds rushing against UCLA in the chicken bowl in Santa Clara and nutjob Riley turns around and puts him on the bench the following year. Go figure that one out.

Last edited:
The offense didn't really use fullbacks, and they had more dynamic ballcarriers like Rex Burkhead, Ameer Abdullah, Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, Imani Cross, Terrell Newby, etc.

Even in Osborne's option-oriented offense, in which a fullback was actually on the field most of the time, guys didn't get a ton of carries. Brian Schuster never had a season with more than 46 carries. Cory Schlesinger had just 63 as a senior, as did Jeff Mackovicka.

Not taking anything away from Janovich, but you don't change your entire offense to suit someone like that, especially when you have plenty of other weapons that already fit what you're doing. Janovich was a blocker, and he was happy to do it.

The offense didn't really use fullbacks, and they had more dynamic ballcarriers like Rex Burkhead, Ameer Abdullah, Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong, Imani Cross, Terrell Newby, etc.

Even in Osborne's option-oriented offense, in which a fullback was actually on the field most of the time, guys didn't get a ton of carries. Brian Schuster never had a season with more than 46 carries. Cory Schlesinger had just 63 as a senior, as did Jeff Mackovicka.

Not taking anything away from Janovich, but you don't change your entire offense to suit someone like that, especially when you have plenty of other weapons that already fit what you're doing. Janovich was a blocker, and he was happy to do it.
I get what you are saying here. I wasnt really suggesting that they should've changed the offense for him. If Im his HC and I saw that kid run the way he does in practice, he'd definitely be getting a couple carries per game. I'm a fullback guy, I loved them growing up, I played the position, and Im definitely biased. That being said, using him could've really helped lower Ameer's milage his senior year.

I get what you are saying here. I wasnt really suggesting that they should've changed the offense for him. If Im his HC and I saw that kid run the way he does in practice, he'd definitely be getting a couple carries per game. I'm a fullback guy, I loved them growing up, I played the position, and Im definitely biased. That being said, using him could've really helped lower Ameer's milage his senior year.
I dont think Denver regrets giving him carries

Ziggy showed an explosiveness and change of direction this year that I don’t think we had ever seen before.

Great story. Great work ethic. He might do very well at the next level

Huskers 247

When we talk about guys that only have one big year, I always wonder how much of it was the guy having that one big year or the staff missing the mark. Like you, I hope we have some more late bloomers or guys that just finally flip the switch.

Not to be argumentative, bu Ziggy played meaningful time from his Sophomore year on, so I'm not sure he's one of those guys. Obviously had the monster Senior season and that (IMO) was part Ozigbo and part the offensive change. Being underused in an average Riley offense didn't help his production.

When we talk about guys that only have one big year, I always wonder how much of it was the guy having that one big year or the staff missing the mark. Like you, I hope we have some more late bloomers or guys that just finally flip the switch.

Not to be argumentative, bu Ziggy played meaningful time from his Sophomore year on, so I'm not sure he's one of those guys. Obviously had the monster Senior season and that (IMO) was part Ozigbo and part the offensive change. Being underused in an average Riley offense didn't help his production.

He did play meaningful time. I kept expecting him to break out and as soon as he showed promise they stopped using him (at least it seemed to me). Frost's offense may very well have helped DO but he rebuilt himself to fit into a new system and for him it paid off. What I respect about Ozigbo is that he stuck with it even though it looked like he might end up sharing a lot of time with Bell and maybe even Washington. Some guys gave up rather than compete *cough* *gebbia* *cough*

As an old fullback myself I see what you mean. It saddens me to see a position I loved being eliminated from football. I’m also not one of the guys that say Frost should incorporate the position and run I formation plays as I love his offense.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back