• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We need a big season from both of these guys

The flip side is TA's escapability saved the OLine from worse results than we had. TL/POB is no TA from that perspective.
Trust me on this, the opposing defenses will not put 8 in the box and sacks will be down. Lee has a very quick release. Defenses that will try to ply NU the way they have done in the last few years will PAY

Our offensive line is one of the major keys heading into this season. I didn't say that they aren't talented or that we aren't building some quality depth. Like all fans, I am hoping for the best.

Performance by this group the last two years clearly demonstrates that this is a huge year for Coach Cav and his players. They know it, we know it and even you know it. :thumbsup:

I must be in the minority, but up until the injuries bug hit the O-line I thought the line was making good progress. Line play relies so much on playing together and knowing the way the guy next you plays.

If the injury bug can stay away this year, I think we will see good progress with the O-line.

Nebraska's offensive lines always get compared to the very best that Nebraska ever had by its fans. it is just the reality of the way things are at Nebraska.

Everyone is going to be disappointed if they are expecting to see this type of line this year or the next. It doesn't mean that NU can't have or wont have a very solid offensive line.

wcbsas is right that center is really the key to having a good line this year. I think Conrad or Decker will be an upgrade over Utter. Utter was an overachiever that played with guts and heart, but he didn't have the physical tools to really get the job done. Conrad and Decker either one are upgrades.

I'm tired of folks bemoaning the prospects of our OL. This line will be outstanding, the first of that type in many years. We finally have talented starters and backup's to boot...no more cobbling together an OL.
I hope like hell that you're right on this.

Know based on what

--- performance of the returning linemen to date? Nice to have experienced players returning, but of those returning only one has received a modicum of all-conference recognition to date.
--- based on Cav's coaching and decision making to date? A stationary blocking dummy would have been more successful than Utter at center last year.
--- ability to develop players? Guys like Barnett and Wilson arrived with a lot of fanfare yet we're still waiting for someone, anyone to breakout.
--- run game performance a staple and core baseline for any o-line has been at best uneven in the 2 year Mike Riley experiment so far.

Now we are tweaking the offense AGAIN to suit a type of QB that fits MR/DL's offense. Pass protection will be slightly different and run game will have different aspects to it.

Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Aside from the slight personnel turnover which is normal nothing else has changed significantly.
You don't seem to pay much attention to the way things normally shake out in the trenches in CFB. Normally, your upper classmen (Juniors/Seniors) are the bulk of your starters and your best players. This is because of age, maturity, time in the program, etc. The youngsters aren't often ready to take on older guys who've spend a year or two in the S&C program and can generally toss around and 18 year old. The problem Cav inherited from the previous staff was 2 years of bad recruiting in the Junior and Senior classes he inherited. Conversely, the previous staff, worked hard to correct their problems and did a very good job recruiting the following class. Thing is, those guys were youngsters until THIS YEAR. They are now ready to dominate. And, to top it off, Cav did some great recruiting to the classes that followed...so now we have guys who've matured and ready to dominate and depth that is inexperienced but talented. Those guys will allow us to dominate in subsequent years because there is not a gap in the roster the way there was when Cav inherited it. It's pretty simple really, but you have to pay attention.

Last edited:
You don't seem to pay much attention to the way things normally shake out in the trenches in CFB. Normally, your upper classmen (Juniors/Seniors) are the bulk of your starters and your best players. This is because of age, maturity, time in the program, etc. The youngsters aren't often ready to take on older guys who've spend a year or two in the S&C program and can generally toss around and 18 year old. The problem Cav inherited from the previous staff was 2 years of bad recruiting in the Junior and Senior classes he inherited. Conversely, the previous staff, worked hard to correct their problems and did a very good job recruiting the following class. Thing is, those guys were youngsters until THIS YEAR. They are now ready to dominate. And, to top it off, Cav did some great recruiting to the classes that followed...so now we have guys who've matured and ready to dominate and depth that is inexperienced but talented. Those guys will allow us to dominate in subsequent years because there is not a gap in the roster the way there was when Cav inherited it. It's pretty simple really, but you have to pay attention.
So your entire argument is that we've got juniors and seniors that are capable.

Your opinion of BPs oline recruiting is well known.

You ignore the current programs ability to develop, coach and strength and conditioning. None of that is proven at this point in time.

Pay attention isn't the issue, being open minded enough to consider all possibilities is.

So your entire argument is that we've got juniors and seniors that are capable.

Your opinion of BPs oline recruiting is well known.

You ignore the current programs ability to develop, coach and strength and conditioning. None of that is proven at this point in time.

Pay attention isn't the issue, being open minded enough to consider all possibilities is.
I'm not ignoring anything, I am one paying close attention to all that has happened, is happening, and the situation as a whole. I am impressed with the way Cav has handled everything thus far, especially the way he has developed Foster, Farmer, Gates, and Conrad. I think we'll also see a great leap from Knevel this year. Now, with regard to S&C, I've questioned whether we were making progress in that area, but some here, who claim to be close to the situation, say that is definitely being handled in an outstanding manner. If so, and I have no real reason to believe otherwise, it will start showing up this year as Boyd Epley indicated over a year ago. I suppose you think Epley sucks too and doesn't know what he's talking about?

Last edited:

I must be in the minority, but up until the injuries bug hit the O-line I thought the line was making good progress. Line play relies so much on playing together and knowing the way the guy next you plays.

If the injury bug can stay away this year, I think we will see good progress with the O-line.

Nebraska's offensive lines always get compared to the very best that Nebraska ever had by its fans. it is just the reality of the way things are at Nebraska.

Everyone is going to be disappointed if they are expecting to see this type of line this year or the next. It doesn't mean that NU can't have or wont have a very solid offensive line.

wcbsas is right that center is really the key to having a good line this year. I think Conrad or Decker will be an upgrade over Utter. Utter was an overachiever that played with guts and heart, but he didn't have the physical tools to really get the job done. Conrad and Decker either one are upgrades.

My standard for OL at NU, currently, is the ability to convert a 3rd and 1/4th and 1 on a QB sneak or 3rd and 2 on a power play up the gut.

Oh, and I want to see a SURGE out of the OL on a run play!

Last edited:
I'm tired of folks bemoaning the prospects of our OL. This line will be outstanding, the first of that type in many years. We finally have talented starters and backup's to boot...no more cobbling together an OL.
Hopefully you are correct. However, what good are the back up players if Cav only plays five. The Number two and three players need game snaps in order to be productive. And if they do not get to play, they will leave. And, when recruits see that only five guys are getting snaps, they will go to the place where they think they have a chance to get on the field.

Last edited:

I think you make a valid point. However in this case I think both are correct. Our line has had issues, however that was made worse by a QB who took too long to make his reads.
A QB that's unable to go through his progressive reads quickly put a lot more pressure on our O-line IMO. It was, what it was and not changing until we had the upgrades at QB that seem to be happening. Don't care how good an O-line protect sooner or later they break down. Watch how fast good passing QB's get rid of the ball. That really hurt us the past 8 years IMO and hopefully will be fixed this season.

Last edited:
Hopefully you are correct. However, what good are the back up players if Cav only plays five. The Number two and three players need game snaps in order to be productive. And if they do not get to play, they will leave. And, when recruits see that only five guys are getting snaps, they will go to the place where they think they have a chance to get on the field.
Cav hasn't had 5 good one's to get on the field until this year, let alone worrying about back-up's. This year is different and the OL will be a strength of a very potent offense. The back up's will get more time as the year progresses, and not just because of injuries. Your worry has had much more to do with what Bo left in the cupboard than anything Cav has been doing.

Last edited:

Cav hasn't had 5 good one's to get on the field until this year, let alone worrying about back-up's. This year is different and the OL will be a strength of a very potent offense. The back up's will get more time as the year progresses, and not just because of injuries. Your worry has had much more to do with what Bo left in the cupboard than anything Cav has been doing.
I, too, am optimistic. And, I agree with your assessment that BP left the cupboard bare. However, the proof is in the pudding. One of the things I liked about the OL of the "Glory Years" was that the back ups got plenty of game time snaps. This is what I believe contributes most to player development. Being in the weight room and on the practice squad does not measure up to the value of true playing time. When you have playing time, you have incentive. And, incentive leads to competition, which in turn helps the overall progress of the entire team.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back