• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

We need a big season from both of these guys

Lavaman

Rebel Scum
10 Year Member
Chris Jones and DPE named first team all conference by Athlon. If both can play at all-conference level it would seriously bolster NU's chances at a title run.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-football-2017-all-conference-team

Imho we havent had a lockdown corner since Dennard graduated and the freedom that having one gives a DC is huge. Hopefully Jones can cement himself in that role.

I love watching DPE play football as do Husker fans in general, I would imagine. He has fantastic open field ability and has turned into a solid WR. His ability to change the game on punt returns is perhaps his greatest asset, however. If he truly is back to his old self it could be the difference in a game or 2.

Hopefully both are on this list at season's end along with several of their buddies.

P.S. Nick Gates and Drew Brown were named as well, 2nd team and honorable mention, respectively.

Last edited:

We'll see, but I think there are about 3 other WR's more likely to be all-BIG (at WR) than DPE. Jones on the other hand will be a star.

Last edited:
We'll see, but I think there are about 3 other WR's more likely to be all-BIG (at WR) than DPE. Jones on the other hand will be a star.
I agree, I was commenting more on his punt return ability which is the position they gave him all-conference recognition for.

Morgan is on the as HM Utility (WR), but should make All B1G 1st team as WR, drinking my Koolaid with my scarlet colored glasses on!
There will also be a defensive surprise player, guaranteed!

Morgan is on the as HM Utility (WR), but should make All B1G 1st team as WR, drinking my Koolaid with my scarlet colored glasses on!
There will also be a defensive surprise player, guaranteed!
I agree with you on Morgan.

The defensive surprise...Mick Stoltenburg.

If the five guys on the offensive line do not have a big season then we are in some serious trouble. As they say...it all starts up front.

If the five guys on the offensive line do not have a big season then we are in some serious trouble. As they say...it all starts up front.
I'm tired of folks bemoaning the prospects of our OL. This line will be outstanding, the first of that type in many years. We finally have talented starters and backup's to boot...no more cobbling together an OL.

Last edited:
I'm tired of folks bemoaning the prospects of our OL. This line will be outstanding, the first of that type in many years. We finally have talented starters and backup's to boot...no more cobbling together an OL.

Our offensive line is one of the major keys heading into this season. I didn't say that they aren't talented or that we aren't building some quality depth. Like all fans, I am hoping for the best.

Performance by this group the last two years clearly demonstrates that this is a huge year for Coach Cav and his players. They know it, we know it and even you know it. :thumbsup:

685750.gif

Last edited:

Our offensive line is one of the major keys heading into this season. I didn't say that they aren't talented or that we aren't building some quality depth. Like all fans, I am hoping for the best.

Performance by this group the last two years clearly demonstrates that this is a huge year for Coach Cav and his players. They know it, we know it and even you know it. :thumbsup:
The difference is I know why they have struggled and that they will not struggle this year. Others out here are blaming the wrong person, a guy they'd like to fire, but because they are fans are "crossing their fingers" hoping it'll be better. I know it will be.

With Tanner or POB lobbing TD's everyone will forget about the O line of the past few years. Its become a scape goat for bigger problems.

With Tanner or POB lobbing TD's everyone will forget about the O line of the past few years. Its become a scape goat for bigger problems.
I think you make a valid point. However in this case I think both are correct. Our line has had issues, however that was made worse by a QB who took too long to make his reads.

685750.gif
I like our guards and LT very much ... we're beyond solid in that area. RT should be OK, probably not all-conference but good enough. The real key HAS TO be at Center. We have been beyond subpar for so long at this position. Whether it is Conrad or someone new - we have to have someone who can hold their own. The inability in the past to do so has negatively affected the whole line putting undue pressure on the guards.

No question Cav inherited a mess but his insistence that Utter was one of our 5 best lineman in the past few years calls serious questions in my mind of Cav's coaching and evaluating experience.

The flip side is TA's escapability saved the OLine from worse results than we had. TL/POB is no TA from that perspective.

Last edited:
The flip side is TA's escapability saved the OLine from worse results than we had. TL/POB is no TA from that perspective.
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the sack count rise this year and as you said, it wouldn't necessarily reflect bad on the line as much our QB's ability to escape as compared to the past.

The difference is I know why they have struggled and that they will not struggle this year. Others out here are blaming the wrong person, a guy they'd like to fire, but because they are fans are "crossing their fingers" hoping it'll be better. I know it will be.
Know based on what

--- performance of the returning linemen to date? Nice to have experienced players returning, but of those returning only one has received a modicum of all-conference recognition to date.
--- based on Cav's coaching and decision making to date? A stationary blocking dummy would have been more successful than Utter at center last year.
--- ability to develop players? Guys like Barnett and Wilson arrived with a lot of fanfare yet we're still waiting for someone, anyone to breakout.
--- run game performance a staple and core baseline for any o-line has been at best uneven in the 2 year Mike Riley experiment so far.

Now we are tweaking the offense AGAIN to suit a type of QB that fits MR/DL's offense. Pass protection will be slightly different and run game will have different aspects to it.

Insanity is repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Aside from the slight personnel turnover which is normal nothing else has changed significantly.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back