• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

WAY too early speculation

Husker_in_Illinois

Recruit
5 Year Member
Considering what he's done in his first 2 years with the Huskers, and what he'll be capable of in this offense next year, what are the odds JD Spielman is still in a Nebraska uniform in 2020?

I don't know the guy, so I don't know if he'll be willing to stick around like Morgan did, I'm just asking a question. I imagine it will be a risk-vs-reward decision for him. If he's projected as a 1st or 2nd rounder in the 2020 NFL draft, would he be willing to risk an injury in his senior year? My heart wants him for two more years, my head is telling me if his 3rd season is anything like his first 2, he'll be gone.

As the thread title indicates, this is just speculation. What does anyone else think?

Last edited:

He's done a good job in the weight room and a great job on the field. I have to agree that his being in a Husker uniform for his Senior season isn't likely. Like you, I know nothing of the young man other than what I've seen on the field and that he does have a pretty smart guy in Chris as an advisor if he needs input. If 2019 is anything close to what I think it will be for Nebraska, he's going to have a monster year. The other side of the coin is that a breakout 2019 for Nebraska might be the carrot to keep him for 2020 if we're talking about competing for something more.

I googled how much a NFL GM makes and couldn't find anything. I'm assuming it's quite a lot. So, JD may not have the same incentive to leave early for the NFL money as some of these kids from lesser financial situations do. But, the risk of injury is definitely something to consider.

I googled how much a NFL GM makes and couldn't find anything. I'm assuming it's quite a lot. So, JD may not have the same incentive to leave early for the NFL money as some of these kids from lesser financial situations do. But, the risk of injury is definitely something to consider.

Hadn't considered that, but without knowing him, it's hard t guess his motivation. If he's more interested in financial success, regardless of what his father may or may not provide, the NFL will be hard for him to pass up. If he's more interested in success or glory on the field, it will depend on whether he sees the Huskers being special in 2020 and wants to be part of it, or wants to prove himself against NFL competition.

IMO Players need to do what they think is in their best interest. We might now like losing the talent early but they have to pursue their life.

I am always excited to see who is coming up to replace those guys we loved to watch. Always seem to be someone new and exciting moving up the ranks every couple of years. Now with Frost and his coaches recruiting I expect we are going to see more special players passing thru making game day that more fun.

Hadn't considered that, but without knowing him, it's hard t guess his motivation. If he's more interested in financial success, regardless of what his father may or may not provide, the NFL will be hard for him to pass up. If he's more interested in success or glory on the field, it will depend on whether he sees the Huskers being special in 2020 and wants to be part of it, or wants to prove himself against NFL competition.
Agree. I think most guys, all things being equal, would use up their eligibility in college rather than go pro. Pretty much every guy I see quoted, including those that are current or former pro players, say that college football and college overall was a some of the best years of their lives. I think a lot of them view the NFL as a job while playing college ball was fun and they wish they could go back and experience it again.

Last edited:

Obviously JD has far more resources to consider the future than the average college football player ... probably can get some realistic feedback from Dad & his connections around the family dinner table; and, I think the father could probably also afford to pony up for an insurance policy if they wanted one to cover his final year of eligibility.

GBR!!

I think the NFL and their pundits are still fairly skeptical of wide receivers out of "Nebraska" in terms of early round projections. Heck, Kieper has Morgan as #8 receiver on his board if I recall. Perhaps that's right, perhaps that's wrong. (I'm biased and say he's top 5). It may take a couple years for them to say, wow, these dudes are good and give them high round 1-3 projections. JD may have to prove it on the field.

Getting his degree is important to him. We will see how far down that path he gets after this spring.

So few athletes really hit the jackpot with their physical talents at the professional level that I wish more young athletes and their parents would make an emphasis on their education.

One of my grandfathers, born in a sod house near Gross, Nebraska in 1901, often told my brother and I when we were children 'boys, get all the education that you can get.' Grandpa Hans probably, at best, had a rural school 6th grade education ... for me and my brother, his words and the education that we pursued proved to be prophetic.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back