• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Was Spurrier a great coach?

Huskerthom

All Big 10
10 Year Member
A lot of discussion in another thread about whether or not Hairball is a great coach. If you think he is than you also have to say that Spurrier is a great coach. Over a longer period of time Spurrier has virtually and identical W/L %. You would have to admit he is even greater than Hairball as Spurrier actually won a NC.

How about Les Miles? Was he great? The same things apply to him in a comparison with Hairball.

Steve Spurrier is A great coach and a good example of what modern coaches should aspire too. I especially like the visor slam.

It all depends on how high you set the "great" threshold but I think Spurrier's record and legacy are pretty darn solid. I know I'm probably in the minority but I've always kind of liked the guy.

It all depends on how high you set the "great" threshold but I think Spurrier's record and legacy are pretty darn solid. I know I'm probably in the minority but I've always kind of liked the guy.
To me great is reserved for those that win multiple NC in a short period. That being said he was very good. and bordered great. Just did not quite make it by my standard.

To me great is reserved for those that win multiple NC in a short period. That being said he was very good. and bordered great. Just did not quite make it by my standard.
I can't really put my finger on how I define "great" but it's a pretty exclusive group. In my subjective opinion, I agree with you. I'd put Spurrier in the tier right below "great." Regardless, I think he can sleep comfortably at night knowing that he was a heck of a coach.

I can't really put my finger on how I define "great" but it's a pretty exclusive group. In my subjective opinion, I agree with you. I'd put Spurrier in the tier right below "great." Regardless, I think he can sleep comfortably at night knowing that he was a heck of a coach.
:thumbsup:

I'd say Spurrier was a great coach.He won the ACC championship with Duke. He put Florida football on the map too. They were nothing before he came there. I was impressed with his work USCe too.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back