• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Was I the only one embarrassed?

Hosskerz

Recruit
10 Year Member
During the telecast of the game today they listened in to a TO in the 1st half for CU and in the 2nd half for NU. I wish I could pull up the video to illustrate the stark difference in the coaching between McDermott and Miles. Unbelievable, Miles talking reminded me of something a coach would say to a team of 5th graders.
"C'mon guys try to get a good shot. If you have to take a bad shot it's ok but try not to". "Also let's try to rebound". Not an exact quote but close.

If I was Miles I would rethink the audio/visual in game policy. :Biggrin:

I thought Miles had a pretty good game plan. IIRC, they held Creighton to 6 points in transition. Their foul trouble really hurt them from playing high-level defense in the 2nd half.

McVeigh gave up a ton of points. We had to play him.

During the telecast of the game today they listened in to a TO in the 1st half for CU and in the 2nd half for NU. I wish I could pull up the video to illustrate the stark difference in the coaching between McDermott and Miles. Unbelievable, Miles talking reminded me of something a coach would say to a team of 5th graders.
"C'mon guys try to get a good shot. If you have to take a bad shot it's ok but try not to". "Also let's try to rebound". Not an exact quote but close.

saw that too. but he said a few other things in that timeout too. that they need to run more curl cuts etc. i dont know if you also noted that after almost every timeout especially in second half we ran good plays and got open looks and scored. the announcers even commented on that. thats good coaching. i thought miles coached a heck of a game. Mcdermott " i feel that this is Tim's most complete team. They're very disruptive defensiveley with their length and size in particular". I 'm pleasantly surprised with the huskers bball this year. on the road in front of a sellout crowd of 17,901 with a chance to win at the end, thats what you would want as a coach.

saw that too. but he said a few other things in that timeout too. that they need to run more curl cuts etc. i dont know if you also noted that after almost every timeout especially in second half we ran good plays and got open looks and scored. the announcers even commented on that. thats good coaching. i thought miles coached a heck of a game. Mcdermott " i feel that this is Tim's most complete team. They're very disruptive defensiveley with their length and size in particular". I 'm pleasantly surprised with the huskers bball this year. on the road in front of a sellout crowd of 17,901 with a chance to win at the end, thats what you would want as a coach.
Personally, I'd want to win but hey with Tim miles you take what you can get

I absolutely had the same thought. There is a reason he's 0-14 vs. McDermott and an under .500 coach. With that said, I do think sometimes being "caught" on camera like that can be misleading, but the TM coaching results are not. We had over ten straight offensive possessions in the last several minutes of that first half that were just plain awful possessions where we could have extended our lead. The reason is because his offense is so easy to defend. It's that dribble drive motion offense that you see on summer HS circuits and might work with NBA talent (See Kentucky) but won't work and hasn't worked at DONU with the exception of one month back in 2014. But we had Petteway who could attack the rim, plus had a great mid-range and 3-pt game. And we had guys who could knock down jumpshots. Aside from that short run, we've been inept on offense. We have talent this season and should contend for the upper half of the Big 10 with the conferene being down this year. Anyone think we will?

it was one timeout, you take one TO from each team and make a judgement call for all TOs in their entire history of coaching? if McDermott's TO is so good why don't they play in the final 4 every year?

Well I Do. :Koolaid2: Our RPI is 55 and it's likely our OOC record will be 9-4. After splitting games with Michigan State and Minnesota, we should be well positioned for the remainder of the B1G Conference Schedule. The worst part of the schedule is behind us. We do not play Michigan State again, and we play Minnesota only once more, @ Minny. We have Wiscy, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, & Penn State @ home. If we can defend the vault and pick up an away game, 20 wins are not out of the question including the B1G Tournament. Even if we don't win all of the home games (we won't) It is quite likely we'll go 0.500 in the remaining conference (as you acknowledge is down this year); we're already at 0.5 with two of the more difficult games out of the way.

Will We? Who knows? but if I had season tickets I think I'd go (no matter how embarrassing it would be :Redface:), if only to find out. ;)

Last edited:
My intention for my post was not to stir the pot. Husker basketball fans already see enough smoke. I was hopeful with Miles when hired, and still am somewhat as I have seen some positives this year. I have been a longtime season ticket holder and would like to see the program be successful in my life. I just like to watch good fundamental basketball.

It is possible that maybe they just got us at a wrong TO. I have noticed we will change up our D and have had some success coming out of TO's as well lately, but this one just didn't seem very inspiring.

BTW, I'm no CU fan, but I would take their basketball success over NU's any day.

it was one timeout, you take one TO from each team and make a judgement call for all TOs in their entire history of coaching? if McDermott's TO is so good why don't they play in the final 4 every year?
0-14 vs McDermott Let that marinate for a bit.

My intention for my post was not to stir the pot. Husker basketball fans already see enough smoke. I was hopeful with Miles when hired, and still am somewhat as I have seen some positives this year. I have been a longtime season ticket holder and would like to see the program be successful in my life. I just like to watch good fundamental basketball.

It is possible that maybe they just got us at a wrong TO. I have noticed we will change up our D and have had some success coming out of TO's as well lately, but this one just didn't seem very inspiring.

BTW, I'm no CU fan, but I would take their basketball success over NU's any day.

I've been going to games since the old Coliseum. I remember banging on the vents to make as much noise as possible. Went to nearly every game in the Bob up until I left home in my mid-20s. So, I'm definitely a Husker Homer. HOWEVER, I'm a realist. I know good basketball when I see it. So, I totally agree with you and your post.

Bottom line is GBR!!!! Hopefully, I'm wrong and we can have a great year. We certainly have the players to be a top 4 finisher in the Big 10 and maybe even win a game or two in the NCAA.

i dont know if you also noted that after almost every timeout especially in second half we ran good plays and got open looks and scored........ i thought miles coached a heck of a game........... I'm pleasantly surprised with the huskers bball this year. on the road in front of a sellout crowd of 17,901 with a chance to win at the end, thats what you would want as a coach.

I have been a longtime season ticket holder and would like to see the program be successful in my life. I just like to watch good fundamental basketball.

I've been going to games since the old Coliseum......So, I'm definitely a Husker Homer. HOWEVER, I'm a realist...........Bottom line is GBR!!!! Hopefully, I'm wrong and we can have a great year. We certainly have the players to be a top 4 finisher in the Big 10 and maybe even win a game or two in the NCAA.

It sure is great to see increasing contributions from long-time, knowledgeable Husker fans to this once more moribund forum. :nod: It makes for a much more improved, diverse, and lively dialogue, seemingly (so far) without all the posturing and acrimony we see in some of the other forums.

I think maybe we can all agree this is the most talented and well-rounded team that Miles has assembled in his tenure. The talent differential that has been so apparent between the Huskers and Creighton over the past several years has diminished. I only hope the coaching can keep up and continue improving so as to utilize the improved level of talent on the team. It should be a very interesting, and hopefully Fun rest of the season.

Thanks, but maybe that's the 'diversity' I mentioned (but it's still lively :Lol:). Whatever your level of knowledge; it's still greater than mine. ;)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back