• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Video: Bruce Arena talks USMNT, MLS and text messages

Looking to make the team younger but need the right balance.

Hard to blood players this far into the Hex. Should have been started a couple of years ago.

Sounds like Fielhaber is going to be back in the mix Will be looked at in the January Camp.

I'm really going to be interested in how he approaches that balance with older vs younger, but also MLS vs overseas.

At the back, will we continue to see Brooks and Cameron, with Fabian and Yedlin? I would think Orozco, Chandler and Alvarado probably won't be seen for awhile. Does Omar start getting more looks? Will we find a couple of FBs that actually feel comfortable in that role?

We have so many young MF players that are probably jumping for joy at the chance - Hyndman, Gatt, Gil, Gooch, Gyau, and maybe even give Nagbe a chance to return. I would think this could be the end for as much playing time for guys like Zusi, JJ, Becks, and maybe Bedoya. So much competition here with Bradley and Pulisic basically guaranteed spots. Kljestan was starting to show well, and like you said Benny could be back around as well.

Up top, where do we go? Is Jozy going to step up? Will Deuce ever come back? Will AJ get healthy? Will Green live up to some of the hype? Morris will most likely continue to get more run. I would think Zardes will be back in the fold. Will LD want back in? Lots of unknown here.

It really seems our team is at a truly pivotal point right now as this generation that has carried us for the last two cycles is coming to an end, but we don't really have many players that have been getting a lot of playing time who are in the middle of their careers who are going to step up and be the face of this team - its all young, young faces. Really cheering for BA to find that right mix.

Youth should have been playing since the WC as Bruce even acknowledged and we may have to wait to do that now until after we qualify because of the mess we are in as he also acknowledged. One of the reason this move should have been made after the disastrous Gold Cup because now we are behind the 8-Ball, Knowing Bruce though he will not be afraid to play youth here and there if they can make a difference (i.e. his playing of Donovan and Beasley in the 2002 WC).

I am not sure a lot of fans realize why this should have happened a year or so ago at the least.

Hell I have been complaining for the last 3-4 years that we needed a play maker in the midfield so my cockles were warmed to hear that from Bruce (I would have been shocked had he not done and said so)'

Going to take a lot of strength to dig us out of this hole we are in, in the Hex. I truly believe we can do it now. Just finish third and qualify for the WC is all I care although I think we could still win the Hex.

Yeah we surely need to see more knew faces because that was not happening to any great degree. Hopefully the January Camp will start that process up again

I'm really going to be interested in how he approaches that balance with older vs younger, but also MLS vs overseas.

At the back, will we continue to see Brooks and Cameron, with Fabian and Yedlin? I would think Orozco, Chandler and Alvarado probably won't be seen for awhile. Does Omar start getting more looks? Will we find a couple of FBs that actually feel comfortable in that role?

We have so many young MF players that are probably jumping for joy at the chance - Hyndman, Gatt, Gil, Gooch, Gyau, and maybe even give Nagbe a chance to return. I would think this could be the end for as much playing time for guys like Zusi, JJ, Becks, and maybe Bedoya. So much competition here with Bradley and Pulisic basically guaranteed spots. Kljestan was starting to show well, and like you said Benny could be back around as well.

Up top, where do we go? Is Jozy going to step up? Will Deuce ever come back? Will AJ get healthy? Will Green live up to some of the hype? Morris will most likely continue to get more run. I would think Zardes will be back in the fold. Will LD want back in? Lots of unknown here.

It really seems our team is at a truly pivotal point right now as this generation that has carried us for the last two cycles is coming to an end, but we don't really have many players that have been getting a lot of playing time who are in the middle of their careers who are going to step up and be the face of this team - its all young, young faces. Really cheering for BA to find that right mix.

I think Arena will run out who he feels has performed the best in practices. And that's saying something obvious that hasn't been the case for a long time. And I think, the players will respond well to the challenge of impressing him. They pretty much all know him well and he's generally well-liked.

I doubt he will care if they are playing domestically or internationally.

I think we have guys who, if played in the right scheme, who show much better than they have in the past. When every player, EVERY PLAYER, looks better for his club, it's a no-brainer will we see individual improvement. As much as the JK apologists will never admit, Bruce can run circles around JK setting up a team and getting guys to flourish in their respective roles........and they'll love doing it for him. Who knows, though. I may be wrong about some of team chemistry. From what I've read, it seems just about every player publicly or not, likes the change.

For as much as many didn't like his taking this role, it was easily the best choice given our options. Hell, my opinion of Gulati went up ten-fold because he really swallowed his pride to get it done. Sure it probably was necessary to save his "job", but it took balls. Big hairy ones. Top dogs don't generally like to admit failure, and that's what he did. Kudos.

What should be going on behind the scenes, is the active search for the next coach with the assist of Arena. He knows his role here and he can be very helpful in this regard. There is nothing wrong with getting strong feelers out there and putting the idea out there to many candidates world-wide. For the same reasons it appealed to JK, it will most definitely appeal to others. The chance to put your stamp on USSoccer. For as much bias as there seems to be against US players internationally, there is equal understanding that its just a matter of time until the US pushes itself into the next echelon of soccer. Not to the level of Brazil-Argentina-Germany, mind you, but solidly in that next level where if they right their stride, they are a danger to make the best very nervous. We were close several years ago, and unlike many, I think we've regressed. But we've regressed with better technical players in the fold. That will change at some point.

Agree with the bold parts 100% and he agree he is a players coach but sets the bar high and the best 11 will be on the field.

I think we have regressed too and it as obvious as the nose on your face

Looking forward to March and the next round of Hex.

I think Arena will run out who he feels has performed the best in practices. And that's saying something obvious that hasn't been the case for a long time. And I think, the players will respond well to the challenge of impressing him. They pretty much all know him well and he's generally well-liked.

I doubt he will care if they are playing domestically or internationally.

I think we have guys who, if played in the right scheme, who show much better than they have in the past. When every player, EVERY PLAYER, looks better for his club, it's a no-brainer will we see individual improvement. As much as the JK apologists will never admit, Bruce can run circles around JK setting up a team and getting guys to flourish in their respective roles........and they'll love doing it for him. Who knows, though. I may be wrong about some of team chemistry. From what I've read, it seems just about every player publicly or not, likes the change.

For as much as many didn't like his taking this role, it was easily the best choice given our options. Hell, my opinion of Gulati went up ten-fold because he really swallowed his pride to get it done. Sure it probably was necessary to save his "job", but it took balls. Big hairy ones. Top dogs don't generally like to admit failure, and that's what he did. Kudos.

What should be going on behind the scenes, is the active search for the next coach with the assist of Arena. He knows his role here and he can be very helpful in this regard. There is nothing wrong with getting strong feelers out there and putting the idea out there to many candidates world-wide. For the same reasons it appealed to JK, it will most definitely appeal to others. The chance to put your stamp on USSoccer. For as much bias as there seems to be against US players internationally, there is equal understanding that its just a matter of time until the US pushes itself into the next echelon of soccer. Not to the level of Brazil-Argentina-Germany, mind you, but solidly in that next level where if they right their stride, they are a danger to make the best very nervous. We were close several years ago, and unlike many, I think we've regressed. But we've regressed with better technical players in the fold. That will change at some point.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back