• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Vedral granted scholarship release

I agree with East of Eden ... I do not believe UCF was counting Vedral against the 85 person scholarship limit. They're refusal to release him was more to dissuade student athletes from leaving period.
Is it not true that until UCF released his scholarship, it counted against their 85?

Last edited:

Is it not true that until UCF released his scholarship, it counted against their 85?
I don't think so ... In order to count against the 85 scholarships ... you have to be an active student enrolled full time in school.

This might be one of those "transitional" things where the new calendar doesn't start till August and that is when everything resets.

I believe it would have. If they would not release him from it, it would still be his and as such could not be used on someone else. I believe that is the drawback of not releasing them from it.

Can I put us as a group in the undecided column on that question? My guess is the NCAA rule is not necessarily based on reasoning that you would easily say is axiomatic, so you could be required to be enrolled in the school to have your scholarship counted against your 85, but if you leave and therefore are no longer enrolled in that school, you still are counted against the 85 even though you are enrolled somewhere else and therefore cannot take advantage of the scholarship. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Anybody?

The second question I guess that this poses is this: If Vedral changes his mind and returns to UCF, must he sit out a year since he has been enrolled at NU, and when you transfer you must sit out a year?

Sometimes the NCAA drives reasoning into dark places.

So, as I thought, it was in UCF's best interest to release the scholarship, not Vedral's.
Right, and I’m 90% sure on that. A Nebraska example is if we didn’t release Xavier Johnson from his basketball scholarship, it would have counted against our 2018-19 numbers if he showed up here or not.

In UCFs case, it was a preventative measure to keep a mass exodus from happening. Now that it appears that won’t happen and they are probably wanting that scholarship, may as well do what’s best for the kid and themselves.

If, following your premise, the release is truly in the best interest of the student athlete, why not release others who might want to follow Frost if they determine that is in their best interest? Seems to me that any institution that with holds a release from a player who wants to move on to better his career opportunity is counter productive if that individual does not want to remain at that institution.

Vedral was a unique case for several reasons. (1) He grew up and played HS football in Nebraska. I don't believe UCF had any other players from Nebraska on their roster. (2) He and his family had connections to Frost even before he was recruited by UCF. It's very unlikely that Vedral would have gone to UCF if someone other than Frost was the coach at the time. (3) He was a backup at UCF who did not figure to start either of the next two years. So from an on-the-field standpoint, he's not a huge loss for them.

I don't know how many UCF players would have wanted to follow Frost to NU if no transfer restrictions were in place, but UCF simply could not risk losing 3 or 5 or 10 starters by offering to turn everyone loose. From UCF's standpoint, imagine if someone like McKenzie Milton or Otis Anderson decided to leave with Frost.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back