• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT World Cup: USA vs Belgium Game Thread

Not going to win a whole lot of matches giving up the most shots and shooting the least amount.....

A few elite keepers have been able to play at 39 but its pushing it and Guzan is 29 and ready to take the mantle....about the age Howard and Keller took over....we are so deep and so good at the position that our #1's have to wait their turn and don't get into the net as soon as goalies from other countries...

Tim Howard was on Mike & Mike this morning and they asked the same question. Howard did not commit one way or the other, stating that he'd need some time to consider after WC is complete. But, he did comment that it looks like fun to go to a watch site and have a few beers while cheering with a massive crowd.

Andy Glockner @AndyGlockner But I do think getting thrashed on the whole by GER and BEL will be healthy for us down the road. We need to accept the truth to grow.

Prophetic....gives us an idea of what we need to do to catch up with the elite teams....so I agree with him....some silver linings in the defeats...

The Last Time We Die Bravely

Really nice read that nails it in my opinion.....best and most honest piece I have read....fair and balanced to a fault...

This says it all:

The US maxed out its 2014 Cup effort. Now its time to be defined by quality not courage and commitment.

In Brazil, though, our matches against Germany and Belgium will be the most valuable markers. Close scorelines aside, we were comprehensively outplayed for the entirety of our final two matches, and no amount of grit, determination or endless hustle can mask the truth.

Those are just microdetails, though. The macro picture is the one that really matters as the U.S. continues the hard climb toward the world’s elite, and that picture in 2014 shows that in our last two matches, the opponent had the 15 most talented field players on the combined rosters. Probably more.

In this Cup, our outside midfielders, collectively, weren’t even close to good enough. Michael Bradley, played out of position as an attacking midfielder, wasn’t good enough. Geoff Cameron, both against Portugal as a center back and out of position vs. Belgium as a defensive midfielder, wasn’t good enough. Wondolowski clearly wasn’t good enough. So for all of the positive contributions of the Jermaine Joneses and Fabian Johnsons and DeMarcus Beasleys of the world, we’re still severely short on talent.

Whether it’s seeing Julian Green or DeAndre Yedlin blossom, or landing more (soon-to-be) dual nationals like Portland’s Darlington Nagbe and Arsenal wunderkind Gedion Zelalem, or having youth pipeline products like Joseph Gyau and Luis Gil morph into the real deal, the U.S. has to start churning out world-class players. Then injuries and travel itineraries and weather won’t matter quite as much, and top foes won’t be able to dictate entire matches, either.

There’s no shame in our giving it everything we had, but somewhere down the line, we’ll be grateful that the Germans and Belgians showed us so clearly that what we had wasn’t nearly enough

Much more here: https://medium.com/the-cauldron/4e4e2efd5997

[h=2][/h]

Could not agree more....well said....

No your not off on your assessment.....and Glockner's piece I posted in Post 3129 reflect's exactly what you said.....

It just seems to me like we've been showing heart and grit the last few World Cups (possibly since the 90's even) but nothing significant really changes/improves for us. It's like we just can't get over the last hump. The ability to control/possess the ball seems to be our downfall. There is a large skill gap between the US and the world powers in this area.

I know many on here know and follow soccer a lot more closely than I do. Am I off on my assessment?

Last edited:
Klinsmann benched Beckerman against Belgium for a reason, and it backfired

Nice 'geek' piece from Pro Soccer Talk....much more tactical analysis at the link....:)

Cameron beat Fellaini one-on-one in the air in two of their three recorded midfield duels, which was a positive considering that was the main purpose for his inclusion.

So in this way, Geoff Cameron’s presence was a positive. But there was a downside that proved deadly to the United States.

Without Beckerman’s superior distribution skills, Cameron and others made countless mistakes in the midfield and gave away precious possession much too often.

A look at Cameron’s passing chart compared with Beckerman’s control of build-up play against Portugal and it’s easy to see how much the Real Salt Lake man was missed.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...-it-backfired/

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back