• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Paruguay Copa Ameirca Game Three (6/11/16)

I'm not too concerned with Jones. He's been lights out and one of our 4 best players in the Copa.

I can't wait to see how JK replaces Yedlin. There are some different options, but losing our fastest FB against a great counter-attacking team that has great wing players like Ecuador does is huge.

1. Does he keep it simple and just sub in Orozco for Yedlin? That talent drop off is HUGE.
2. Does he move FJ to the right side and insert Castillo or Besler) on the the left?
3. Does he move Cam from CB to RB and break up the great duo of Brooks and Cam? Cam is very fast, but that's a huge risk.

It's not an easy call and I'm sure JK will be criticized regardless of what he does once the lineup is announced. So, what would y'all do? As damn crazy as it sounds, I'm leaning toward moving Cam to RB and replacing him with Besler to line up next to Brooks.

Guzan
Cam Besler Brooks Johnson
Bedoya Bradley Jones
Zardes Dempsey Wood

I'd also be tempted to start Zusi over Bedoya. Bedoya looked pretty gassed against Paraguay.

Good post. Can not think of really anything I could add to it. You laid it out pretty much the way I see it too.

A few thoughts:

Ecuador was underscored upon for five of the six halves they played in the Group Stage so their defense is very stout. Also Valencia who did not play against the US in the friendly is back in the lineup and playing very well. Key will be to stop him.

Would not shock me if Klinsman plays Castillo at LB and that is scary on the face of it.

Ecuador is going to be an uphill battle for us. Truthfully, unless we see the J Jones of game 2, I don't like our chances. Now, that said, if we see J Jones attacking defensively and reeking all kinds of midfield havoc, like a true box-to-box MFer, then we will be a tough out. Other things come into play. Will Guzan do dumb Guzan things or will he play up to the level we've seen the first 3 games? Can Bradley push forward or be overwhelmed? Can Bedoya provide width?

The other intricacy I noted from the game in KC was the rotation up top. They move Dempsey around. When it works, it's hell on defenders. When it doesn't, we go stale in a hurry. We've been through our opinions on formations so many times in the past, there's no reason to discuss them anymore. Let's just hope JK doesn't change Brooks and Cameron. And let's hope Orazco, who I'm guessing will start for Yedlin, doesn't kill us. Though I think he's most definitely a better option than Besler (huge mistake) or Chandler.

Jones is the key, IMHO. If he isn't balls to the wall early and often, I'd sub him out at half with Becks and move Bradley up in a triangle with Bedoya. It's not what Bedoya can give us for width, but it's better than the alternatives playing against a team like Ecuador. I'm fairly certain, J Jones has the desire, but his body can only give so much at his age.

Last edited:
One day of the Group stage left and CONCACAF now sits at 6-9-2 with Panama having the only game left for the Confederation this evenin.

Looking at the odds, it looks like most have Ecuador as a very slight favorite.

This should be an exciting match that could go either way.

Last edited:

I wanted to touch on this some more. What has happened to Bradley's service on set-plays? He usually completely on point with them, but he's been pretty terrible in this Copa. USA needs to be strong on set-pieces, and it needs Bradley to be much better in order for that to happen.

6 Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), 118/15.
Directed the troops well and won several vital balls. Passing was hit-and-miss and not effective on set-play deliveries

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/69164/usa-paraguay-copa-centenario-player-ratings.html

Last edited:
I'm not too concerned with Jones. He's been lights out and one of our 4 best players in the Copa.

I can't wait to see how JK replaces Yedlin. There are some different options, but losing our fastest FB against a great counter-attacking team that has great wing players like Ecuador does is huge.

1. Does he keep it simple and just sub in Orozco for Yedlin? That talent drop off is HUGE.
2. Does he move FJ to the right side and insert Castillo or Besler) on the the left?
3. Does he move Cam from CB to RB and break up the great duo of Brooks and Cam? Cam is very fast, but that's a huge risk.

It's not an easy call and I'm sure JK will be criticized regardless of what he does once the lineup is announced. So, what would y'all do? As damn crazy as it sounds, I'm leaning toward moving Cam to RB and replacing him with Besler to line up next to Brooks.

Guzan
Cam Besler Brooks Johnson
Bedoya Bradley Jones
Zardes Dempsey Wood

I'd also be tempted to start Zusi over Bedoya. Bedoya looked pretty gassed against Paraguay.

For me, it depends on how J Jones is feeling. If he's fresh then I substitute in Orozco for Yedlin and hope for the best. If Jones looks worn down, then I keep him out of the starting lineup and replace with Becks, pushing Bradley up in the AM role with Bedoya. I'm not sold on Zusi being effective much past 30 minutes. I would not, however, break up Brooks/Cameron centrally. Though, they are due for a crapper at some point. But they've played together better than anyone we've trotted out there for years.

For me, it depends on how J Jones is feeling. If he's fresh then I substitute in Orozco for Yedlin and hope for the best. If Jones looks worn down, then I keep him out of the starting lineup and replace with Becks, pushing Bradley up in the AM role with Bedoya. I'm not sold on Zusi being effective much past 30 minutes. I would not, however, break up Brooks/Cameron centrally. Though, they are due for a crapper at some point. But they've played together better than anyone we've trotted out there for years.

They certainly have (Brooks and Cam). I think JK has a tough decision on his hands.

Well said again.

So CONCACAF finished 6-10-2 in the knockout stage which is so-so at best.

Now if you break it down the USA and Mexico went 4-1-1 which I will grant you is impressive

However Panama, Costa Rica, Haiti and Jamaica finished a combined 2-9-1 which is beyond woeful thus dragging the Confederation down.

Thus only Mexico and the USA advance to the Final Eight (no round of 16 in this competiton).

Last edited:
2 votes for starting Orozco. I certainly understand that choice, we will see what JK does.

Whoever gets the nod will have their hands full dealing with Montero.

Last edited:
Mexico & Argentina still the favorites to make the final....USA ranked 6th.

Planet Fútbol ‏<s>@</s>si_soccer <small class="time"> </small>

There’s no <s>#</s>CopaAmerica tonight
1f61e.png
But <s>@</s>AnAbnos has you covered with his QF power rankings
1f604.png
http://on.si.com/25Y4LP7

Vegas currently has us 5th most likely to win it all.

Anyone on Argentina's side of the bracket is going to take a hit on these odds. They have easily looked like the best team. If I had to place money on this:

Argentina over Venezuela
Ecuador over USA

Mexico over Chile
Colombia over Peru

Argentina over Ecuador
Colombia over Mexico

Argentina over Colombia

Vegas currently has us 5th most likely to win it all.

Anyone on Argentina's side of the bracket is going to take a hit on these odds. They have easily looked like the best team. If I had to place money on this:

Argentina over Venezuela
Ecuador over USA

Mexico over Chile
Colombia over Peru

Argentina over Ecuador
Colombia over Mexico

Argentina over Colombia

I like those picks. I could see an inspired Mexico beat Colombia, and wouldn't consider it a major upset. They have the physicality to take a guy like Cuadrado out of his game. Mexico has been so puzzling to figure out. They really have quality all over the field AND they have true impact players where it matters. What they need is cohesion and consistency. But that's the story for EVERY National team.

Last edited:
Me too.....nor would I.....Mexico has gone 22 games without a loss 15-0-7....which is not to shabby....when they are on their game with their best players on the field very tough to beat....as their record shows....I think they can beat Colombia...

Yup pretty much sums up all national teams....the USA for sure....

I like those picks. I could see an inspired Mexico beat Colombia, and wouldn't consider it a major upset. They have the physicality to take a guy like Cuadrado out of his game. Mexico has been so puzzling to figure out. They really have quality all over the field AND they have true impact players where it matters. What they need is cohesion and consistency. But that's the story for EVERY National team.

Last edited:

Just baffling.....under performing once again at the box office....I thought this was the one stadium they would finally sell out due to the Sounders rabid fans...if we cannot sell out Seattle........this whole thing started 5 or 6 games before the Copa where we were averaging just less than 10K in MLS stadiums......

Grant Wahl ‏<s>@</s>GrantWahl <small class="time"></small>43,000 of 67,000 tickets sold for USA-Ecuador in Seattle.
<small class="time"></small>

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back