• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

USMNT vs Ecuador Copa America Game 3 (6/16/16)

4th official made the call...my daughter and I just went back and watched the DVR tape and Jones makes a fist and pops the guy in the face....if you slow it down its pretty blatant.....in the scheme of things its pretty harmless but by the book its a straight red. Not a chance we get that overturned...

It happened so fast in live action that it was easy to miss....watching the replay its a legit red.

Like Donovan said once they re-showed it.....you put a fist in a guys face it going to get called and Jones should not have put himself in that place. He knows better.

Had the 4th official not been there with the scrum going on he more than likely would have gotten away with it.....

Klinsman in the post game called it a joke however, once he sees it on tape he will see it was legit. Even Dr Joe said it was a straight red.

BruciO))) ‏<s>@</s>dunord <small class="time"> </small> <s>@</s>JeffreyCarlisle <s>@</s>el_oregonio 4th official was looking right at Jones as he push/popped the dude right in the mouth on purpose. Easy call.

Last edited:
Also I went back and re-watched the whole second half and I still think that Ecuador was the better team (in that half) however, it was not to do with any major coaching problem on our part. I do think from a tactical stand point we could have done much better and should have used all of our subs and not bunkered down like we did....major coaching mistakes....no....coaching mistakes yes.....with that being said it was a gritty gutsy performance on our part and a deserved win because of that....

In this case after watching again closely I changed my opinion....I stand corrected....

Brian Straus ‏<s>@</s>BrianStraus <small class="time"> </small>

USA knockout wins over non-CONCACAF opps, past 100 yrs
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
1-0
1f1e7-1f1f7.png
'98 Gold Cup SF
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
2-0
1f1ea-1f1f8.png
'09 Confederations Cup SF
1f1fa-1f1f8.png
2-1
1f1ea-1f1e8.png
'16 Copa América QF

Watching it again, I actually don't think it's a punch. Jones' hand is open and he's smiling. Arroyo pushed Jones elbow up which makes it look like a punch is thrown.

With that said...chances it's overturned if appealed? 10% at best.

Yup I have to agree....it is not going to happen....might as well enjoy what it is...

Alexi Lalas ‏<s>@</s>AlexiLalas <small class="time"></small>I'm done worrying about progression, just win...even if it's by simply being a better version of ourselves. <s>#</s>USMNT

I was thinking the same, this run is the best JK's teams have played, and while I worry about the next round, heck I thought we would have lost to Paraguay and Ecuador. I see some things we an change, but this imo is the best his teams have looked including the World Cup.

Interested to see what lineups we have with the losses of Jones, Bedoya, and Woods. I know Yedlin will step into the back, and would like to see Pulisic get a chance to help in attack as I am afraid if we go into a true 4-4-2 like we have when we got the lead it will lead to what we saw in the second half, the other team controlling possession and just attacking full speed.

A little late, but I went to bed right after the game.

Brooks is a beast. He could very easily become the best defender in USMNT history if he keeps up his progression. He's not there yet, but the guy is turning into a brick wall that the opposition can't break. The only thing to worry about with him is recovery from grueling games like the one last night. Thankfully the schedule plays out in the USMNT's favor, but he's going to be one sore and tired guy when the tournament is over.

I can't believe that Bobby Wood has gone from a player that elicited :rolleyes: when he was first brought into the National team, to a player that is going to be hard to replace. That speaks well of his work ethic and attitude. He's become a permanent fixture on the USMNT going forward in the current cycle.

Zardes played a very good game, IMO. His touch was good enough and he made pretty good decisions most game, along with tracking back deep on defense at times. His goal was easy as can be, but a good forward will be in the right spot when he's needed to be. He's likely going to carry a bigger load with Wood out in the semifinal match, but his play has really gotten better as the tournament has progressed.

Guzan has turned into the top-choice keeper going into the heart of qualification play. His decisions have been great, and he's been very steady in goal. The Ecuador goal wasn't really his fault. Good set up by Ecuador and good shot.

Bradley had an up and down match. Nearly gifted Ecuador a breakaway goal in the first half, but overall played decent. Dempsey was his normal self, but tracked back on defense a little bit more last night. Maybe I'm just caught up in his play in this tournament, but I think he's playing some of his best soccer of his career right now. Maybe it has to do with him closing in on Donovan's goal record, or he knows he can't take his 2018 WC spot for granted, but he's putting in some really good work.

On the Jones red card, I get the reason the rule was put in place, but I'm not a fan of that being a red card. Granted, JJ's intent is up for interpretation, but to me it looked like Jones was going to push the Ecuador player in the shoulder, missed, and grazed his face. Sure, by the letter of the law, that's a red, but I think that was the ref's excuse to even the teams at 10v10. Another reason why I think that was a ridiculous red was minutes later, Bobby Wood nearly got his face shredded by a high kick. The ref only gave an apologetic yellow for the high kick. So in one instance, a debatable swipe to the face is a red, while a definite high kick/dangerous play was given an "I'm sorry I have to do this" yellow. If the face/head area is going to be sacred, it has to be sacred at all times, not only when the ref feels comfortable changing the outlook of the match. With that said, Jones has to be smarter, and can't blame anyone for missing the semifinal match.

So, in the semifinal match, I'm going to guess that Beckerman starts in JJ's place, and Zusi starts in place of Bedoya. Not sure what JK will do with Wood's position. Wondo seems like the safe choice, but Wondo won't have the work rate that Wood does. Whatever the lineup, I'm hoping the US goes out and puts together a great performance against (likely) Argentina.

Also, I want to give credit to Landon Donovan for his excellent color commentary work last night. He was insightful, informative and excitable. I really was surprised when after the Dempsey goal that he pretty much said that Deuce will pass him on the all-time goals list. I thought that was a very humble thing to do.

I also feel bad for Fox Sports, because the International video feed has been atrocious all tournament, and last night was no exception. I'm sure there are people looking for ways to discredit Fox Sports and their soccer coverage, but they are doing the best they can with truly terrible video production.

I actually think the coverage has been very good. I also like how they rotate the color guys between Holden, Donovan, Jones and Fridel....although I do think Fridel has a bit of conflict of interest being the Under 19 coach.

The studio folks I think are great. Lalas and Fernando Fiore make the show for me. Good analysis but keep it lighthearted...

Also, I want to give credit to Landon Donovan for his excellent color commentary work last night. He was insightful, informative and excitable. I really was surprised when after the Dempsey goal that he pretty much said that Deuce will pass him on the all-time goals list. I thought that was a very humble thing to do.

I also feel bad for Fox Sports, because the International video feed has been atrocious all tournament, and last night was no exception. I'm sure there are people looking for ways to discredit Fox Sports and their soccer coverage, but they are doing the best they can with truly terrible video production.

Last edited:
I also think the player that shoved the ball in Besler's chest was more deserving of a red than Jones.

Ives Galarcep has a good tweet on his Twitter of the play in slow motion. It looks like the player's face wasn't even touched, and it definitely looks like he hit Jones' elbow, causing Jones hand to rise.

I'd link it but I'm on the iPhone and I'm having trouble navigating this site.

I like Friedel except for his accent.

Fox Sports' replays during the game are killing me! They show the same play 3 times in a row while missing too much soccer action.

Like I said might as well enjoy it.....best talent we have ever had and its finally stepped up. Case of the Jimmy's and the Joe's....

Nothing to lose against Argentina. My as well just throw caution to the wind and go for it. Because if you play conservative and sit back they will eat us a live. They might anyway but you might as well go down giving it your best shot. I actually think we are going to be better off with Becks holding down the midfield....he and Brooks might just surprise us....

Agree with your comments on the 4-4-2 and the issues in the second half too.

Oh and Jones is Jones as we all know.

I was thinking the same, this run is the best JK's teams have played, and while I worry about the next round, heck I thought we would have lost to Paraguay and Ecuador. I see some things we an change, but this imo is the best his teams have looked including the World Cup.

Interested to see what lineups we have with the losses of Jones, Bedoya, and Woods. I know Yedlin will step into the back, and would like to see Pulisic get a chance to help in attack as I am afraid if we go into a true 4-4-2 like we have when we got the lead it will lead to what we saw in the second half, the other team controlling possession and just attacking full speed.

Last edited:

I like Friedel except for his accent.

Fox Sports' replays during the game are killing me! They show the same play 3 times in a row while missing too much soccer action.

That's the International feed. Anything during the match that's shown on TV is all on the International production crew. That's why we aren't getting shots like of the sideline reporter at anytime during the match, and why the pbp guys aren't asking for specific replays. Fox Sports literally has no control of what's being sent out on video.

Nice analysis as always....I don't agree with everything....but that is okay....

Brooks and Wood have really stepped it up and given us the infusion of youth we needed. Woods game as a whole took that next step in the past year or so. There was a reason he ws playing in Bundasliga 2 and there is a reason he just recently completed a transfer to Bundasliga 1. Its always nice to see a guy who the lights finally go on for.

Yes Zaedes had one of his better games. Still some issues that hopefully he can hone to take his game to the next level.

Guzan after an horrendous season at Aston Villa has been the real surprise of the competition. The back four finally putting it together has helped him immeasurably too.

I already had my say on Jones red card so I am not going to belabor that to prove a point. Bottom line per the book it was sending off offense. We can discuss amnong ourselves until we are blue in the face as to what his intent was if he balled his hand into a fist etc. Its all in the eye of the beholder. I think we do agree good rule or not that it is what it is.

One would hope Becks is in the #6 role. I honestly think he and Brooks could make a difference with the likes of Messi. Both are very disciplined and and smart players and we are going to need that against the likes of Messi. Wondo is just to slow to play against Argentina. This is a game where Jordan Morris could have helped us. However that is water under the bridge now. Might want to give our young protege a run out and just throw caution to the wind as I said in an earlier post.

Oh and I spoke to my Uncle in England and eh thinks the young team they have it starting to round into form but is not sure they are far enough along to win it all. We shall see. Looks like they will advance from the Group and then it is anyone's' guess. Germany thus far has been unimpressive for their standards. They may step it up though once they are in the knockout stage they have been known to do that.

As always nice conversation. :)

A little late, but I went to bed right after the game.

Brooks is a beast. He could very easily become the best defender in USMNT history if he keeps up his progression. He's not there yet, but the guy is turning into a brick wall that the opposition can't break. The only thing to worry about with him is recovery from grueling games like the one last night. Thankfully the schedule plays out in the USMNT's favor, but he's going to be one sore and tired guy when the tournament is over.

I can't believe that Bobby Wood has gone from a player that elicited :rolleyes: when he was first brought into the National team, to a player that is going to be hard to replace. That speaks well of his work ethic and attitude. He's become a permanent fixture on the USMNT going forward in the current cycle.

Zardes played a very good game, IMO. His touch was good enough and he made pretty good decisions most game, along with tracking back deep on defense at times. His goal was easy as can be, but a good forward will be in the right spot when he's needed to be. He's likely going to carry a bigger load with Wood out in the semifinal match, but his play has really gotten better as the tournament has progressed.

Guzan has turned into the top-choice keeper going into the heart of qualification play. His decisions have been great, and he's been very steady in goal. The Ecuador goal wasn't really his fault. Good set up by Ecuador and good shot.

Bradley had an up and down match. Nearly gifted Ecuador a breakaway goal in the first half, but overall played decent. Dempsey was his normal self, but tracked back on defense a little bit more last night. Maybe I'm just caught up in his play in this tournament, but I think he's playing some of his best soccer of his career right now. Maybe it has to do with him closing in on Donovan's goal record, or he knows he can't take his 2018 WC spot for granted, but he's putting in some really good work.

On the Jones red card, I get the reason the rule was put in place, but I'm not a fan of that being a red card. Granted, JJ's intent is up for interpretation, but to me it looked like Jones was going to push the Ecuador player in the shoulder, missed, and grazed his face. Sure, by the letter of the law, that's a red, but I think that was the ref's excuse to even the teams at 10v10. Another reason why I think that was a ridiculous red was minutes later, Bobby Wood nearly got his face shredded by a high kick. The ref only gave an apologetic yellow for the high kick. So in one instance, a debatable swipe to the face is a red, while a definite high kick/dangerous play was given an "I'm sorry I have to do this" yellow. If the face/head area is going to be sacred, it has to be sacred at all times, not only when the ref feels comfortable changing the outlook of the match. With that said, Jones has to be smarter, and can't blame anyone for missing the semifinal match.

So, in the semifinal match, I'm going to guess that Beckerman starts in JJ's place, and Zusi starts in place of Bedoya. Not sure what JK will do with Wood's position. Wondo seems like the safe choice, but Wondo won't have the work rate that Wood does. Whatever the lineup, I'm hoping the US goes out and puts together a great performance against (likely) Argentina.

One would hope Becks is in the #6 role. I honestly think he and Brooks could make a difference with the likes of Messi. Both are very disciplined and and smart players and we are going to need that against the likes of Messi. Wondo is just to slow to play against Argentina. This is a game where Jordan Morris could have helped us. However that is water under the bridge now. Might want to give our young protege a run out and just throw caution to the wind as I said in an earlier post.

Oh and I spoke to my Uncle in England and eh thinks the young team they have it starting to round into form but is not sure they are far enough along to win it all. We shall see. Looks like they will advance from the Group and then it is anyone's' guess. Germany thus far has been unimpressive for their standards. They may step it up though once they are in the knockout stage they have been known to do that.

As always nice conversation. :)

I'd have no problem with both Pulisic and Nagbe starting in the semifinal match, but I don't think JK will do it. It's a perfect game for getting those two really immersed in what a huge International match feels like. Probably a long shot both of those two start, but it wouldn't surprise me if both play.

Also, I have done some basic searches, but lets say the USMNT wins the tournament. Would they get an automatic invitation to the 2019 Copa as the current title holders? Granted, that's putting the cart way before the horse at this stage, but it was something that crossed my mind last night.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back