• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Urban Meyer - Former Gator player interviews

these are certainly not good accounts - but don't really stick out to me that bad, people get injured lifting and practicing. More of just football culture than an Urban problem IMO

I would disagree specifically because of the kid with the shoulder infection being forced to run with plates when he could barely use that arm. There are incidental injuries when working out and there is purposely causing a kid to get injured. Why are coaches present if not to make sure the kids don't kill themselves?

Some is pretty weak, yes. I believe it's well known at the first team meeting when he got to Florida he set down a couple trash cans and made everyone do sprints until they threw up.

these are certainly not good accounts - but don't really stick out to me that bad, people get injured lifting and practicing. More of just football culture than an Urban problem IMO

Agree. Injuries that occur working out and or practicing. Wahhh.

Kinda like what happened to the McNair kid in Maryland................or what was mentioned earlier with the kid with the staph infection in the shoulder who was literally days from serious illness or death.

Sooooooo........what is the difference between football culture and an irresponsible, life-threatening situation. It probably is a pretty fine line. Even in high school (and I went to a small school in Kansas---not exactly a football factory) you had situations where 'football culture' could have bled into something else. We had lost a game. The next Monday at the end of practice, the head coach took out his frustrations by having us run extra 'gassers' as in "many" and as in the "100 yard" variety (I'm sure this is a familiar story to many). Finally one of the lineman fell to the ground (collapsed?). The immediate response was NOT "are you okay", it was "GET UP OFF THE GROUND YOU (expletive deleted) LAZY (expletive deleted)." Kid was okay. Just tryin' to buy time to catch his breath. But what if it had turned into a McNair or Korey Stringer situation? Would the coaches have known.

Everyone who has played has encountered these situations. Most are relatively benign and a part of 'football culture.' But when you hear the Florida stories and then couple that with what happened in Maryland where a kid dies and the head coach is a protege of Urban Meyer's at two different locations, you start to see a trend. To be fair to Coach Meyer, much of the scandal was left behind in Florida and apparently did not come with him to tOSU (except for a receiver's coach). I have not heard about any former Buckeye players indicating anything unusual or particularly egregious when it comes to players health and welfare. Yet.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back