• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked [UPDATED] - Crazy High School Game Ending - Now with Happy Ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
============================================

UPDATE- Apparently, the kid got crazy amounts of cyber-bullying but then the support started coming through - a HOF Coach, a Heisman winner and a NFL Quarterback have all reached out to him.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...reaking-mistake-and-the-aftermath.html?pg=all

============================================

UTAH - Spanish Fork High School (red, wearing Buckeye-style uniforms) is winning over Maple Mountain 14-11 with 0:03 seconds left on 4th down. With the defense still having a timeout to spare, their quarterback snaps it and casually rolls out to the side to burn the remaining 3 seconds.

As time expires, however, he failed to either kneel or run out of bounds and the Maple Mountain defense strips the ball, running it back for a game-winning TD:

Play starts @ 46:30
[Direct Link]

[video=youtube_share;Sd8-Yhlos9E]http://youtu.be/Sd8-Yhlos9E?t=46m30s[/video]

http://thebiglead.com/2014/10/29/ut...e-most-unbelievable-ending-you-will-ever-see/

Last edited:

This has been discussed on the intrawebs for past couple of days, and I think it's been established that the QB is also on the basketball team. Obviously, it's still a huge mental error, but it at least explains what might have been going on in his head - just run out the clock and the game's over.

Kind of feel bad for that kid but great heads up on the Maple Mountain side to keep going.

The SFHS coach is to blame as well -- poor clock management.

They get the ball back on downs with 1:22 left, and their opponent has a timeout left. In HS the play clock is 25 seconds? That's still a lot of time to kill. They should have been trying to get a first down, or at least run safe plays after the snap to eat up more clock. Instead the QB took a knee immediately after the snap on the first two plays, then defense called timeout. Now the SFHS coach suddenly realizes they need to use up more time, so on 3rd down the QB runs an option/sweep and uses up a few more seconds, but it's too little too late.

Last edited:
Instead the QB took a knee immediately after the snap on the first two plays, then defense called timeout. Now the SFHS coach suddenly realizes they need to use up more time, so on 3rd down the QB runs an option/sweep and uses up a few more seconds, but it's too little too late.

that was the most bizarre part. the two kneel downs before the other two plays. then disaster strikes. ouch

The SFHS coach is to blame as well -- poor clock management.

They get the ball back on downs with 1:22 left, and their opponent has a timeout left. In HS the play clock is 25 seconds? That's a lot of time to kill. They should have been trying to get a first down, or at least run safe plays after the snap to eat up more clock. Instead the QB took a knee immediately after the snap on the first two plays, then defense called timeout. Now the SFHS coach suddenly realizes they need to use up more time, so on 3rd down the QB runs an option/sweep and uses up a few more seconds, but it's too little too late.

This.

It's only Xbox football, but I rarely call the Victory Formation unless there's truly 0:10 seconds or so left in the game. If there's a minute and the defense has no timeouts, I'll still run the ball up the gut - maybe with a couple of FB/HB lead blockers just to seal the deal. I suppose there's an X% chance that the ball carrier fumbles, but I guess I'd rather take that chance. The downside is that if you're trying to burn 90 seconds or so, it can be damn near impossible to time it just right using QB Kneels alone. I'd prefer to burn off 5-10 more seconds each play with a run than to risk the defense getting the ball back with even a second left.

Maybe I'm gun shy, but Nebraska fans know what 0:01 at the end of a game can cost you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back