• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Underutilized?

36Blast

Chop Block Connoisseur
5 Year Member
For a player of his stature (4*, #2 player in Nebraska), I've been shocked by the lack of statistical productivity out of Chris Hickman. This thread isnt to bash the kid at all as I'm truly happy we reeled him in. I'm just baffled that he had only 16 catches for 358 yards (20% of those yards on one catch) in 11 games.

I'm not close enough to OB's team to know what system they run. Is this just a result of Chris playing in a system that doesnt suit his skill set? Was he banged up?

Again..this isnt an attack on the kid...just curious is all.

Appreciate the feedback

Last edited:

For a player of his stature (4*, #2 player in Nebraska), I've been shocked by the lack of statistical productivity out of Chris Hickman. This thread isnt to bash the kid at all as I'm truly happy we reeled him in. I'm just baffled that he had only 16 catches for 358 yards (20% of those yards on one catch) in 11 games.

I'm not close enough to OB's team to know what system they run. Is this just a result of Chris playing in a system that doesnt suit his skill set? Was he banged up?

Again..this isnt an attack on the kid...just curious is all.

Appreciate the feedback
Pretty sure he is highly regarded as a DE also. They've seen the athleticism on film

I'd like to learn more about his situation. I dont live in Nebraska and there are a lot of knowledgable guys here close to the program who can fill in the gaps.

I know stats aren't everything...so looking for more Intel on him. Thx

Last edited:
Burke doesn't really need him to be quite honest to win games, their talent right now is better than anyone else in Nebraska, obviously the kid is a great athlete, potential is there so I don't think he is either underutilized or overrated, if that makes any sense.

Burke doesn't use him much on offense, at least as a pass catching target. (I guess that's obvious by the stats.) They have a RB who I believe has gone over 1000 yards the last two seasons. He might walk on at somewhere like NU or get an FBS scholarship. One of their WRs is a junior who already holds an NU offer. So lots of weapons for an Omaha high school. I still would have expected them to throw more to Hickman though.

FWIW, I think Hickman will start off at OLB rather than TE when he gets to Nebraska.

Burke doesn't use him much on offense, at least as a pass catching target. (I guess that's obvious by the stats.) They have a RB who I believe has gone over 1000 yards the last two seasons. He might walk on at somewhere like NU or get an FBS scholarship. One of their WRs is a junior who already holds an NU offer. So lots of weapons for an Omaha high school. I still would have expected them to throw more to Hickman though.

FWIW, I think Hickman will start off at OLB rather than TE when he gets to Nebraska.
Thanks for the feedback! Based on what you have seen, do you think he is a better DE/OLB than TE. I haven't heard much about him starting on the defensive side of the ball, so this interests me.

Thanks for the feedback! Based on what you have seen, do you think he is a better DE/OLB than TE. I haven't heard much about him starting on the defensive side of the ball, so this interests me.

Going into this season, I definitely thought of Hickman as more of a TE prospect. I think a lot of his early "national" offers were for TE. The lazy/easy comparison to make was Noah Fant... both Omaha kids, similar height and weight, etc.

He has a frame where he could easily put on 30 or so pounds of good weight, which would probably be closer to the ideal size for an Outside LB rather TE in a spread offense. Nebraska's TE room may also have something to do with him likely starting out on defense. Stoll, Allen, and Rafdal will be around for a while, plus maybe Legrone and McGriff.

All that said, it's still a mystery to me why Burke hasn't featured him more on offense. Maybe the answer is that they don't need to... they are 11-0 doing whatever they are doing.

FWIW, I think Hickman will start off at OLB rather than TE when he gets to Nebraska

Hmm, not the old 'Noah Fant' mistake again. About the same size as NF in hs.

If Hickman starts out at OLB as speculated ... we might someday have a 4H club linebacking corps... Hickman, Honas, Heinrich, Hannah ;)

slow sunday... eagerly awaiting Recruiting news

Last edited:
FWIW, I think Hickman will start off at OLB rather than TE when he gets to Nebraska

Hmm, not the old 'Noah Fant' mistake again. About the same size as NF in hs.

I think Fant wanted to play TE, and Bo / Riley didn't listen until it was too late. From what I have heard, Hickman is perfectly fine playing on defense.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back