• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ultimate Music Thread

Among the countless performances at ACL Fest this weekend, I felt emotionally attached to Live performing. And they were so damn powerful and emotional. Brought back some serious memories for me. Here's a segment of "Selling the Drama" I captured today. And yes, I'm singing along to the chorus. Find me. Hah!

I have really good memories of the 'Throwing Copper' era, not only for their music but for that time in my life. Good times.

I've been attending ACL Fest since 2012. And the absolutely best part is discovering new bands. I'm rarely intrigued by the headliners.

Example. Goldfish. Band from Capetown, South Africa I experienced on Sunday afternoon. The duo are both jazz musicians, who studied music in college. They decided to create an electronic dance band -- while incorporating their love for jazz. The result ... not only the expected Mac, i-Pad, keyboards ... but they incorporate the sax, flute, and bass (string) into their tunes. Genius! And so much fun!

Goldfish won the MTV South Africa award for best pop band.

Of course, click the audio on button on the bottom right.

Last edited:

I saw First Aid Kit at ACL on Sunday. Amazing harmonies from these Swedish sisters.

Interestingly, when they were kids, one of their first major influences was Bright Eyes. And a couple years ago, they performed a tune with Conor Oberst.

Just met/discovered these guys a month or so ago. Sat and chatted with the singer for about an hour mostly about our love of music and where we had grown up etc.. Great band and even better people.

From their new album which will be out soon.

1978's Van Halen debut album was the first cassette tape I bought. Good times.

Last edited:

The Beatles and the British invasion brought an end to Doo Wop in 1964/65. But we have archives. Doo Wop is 100% American. Just like Jazz and the blues.

Sonny Til and the Orioles from Baltimore are credited with starting Doo Wop in 1948 with the song "Its too soon to know." Many young people heard something new and different in that song. They became motivated to duplicate that sound/style, started forming street corner singing groups and somehow Doo Wop took off and became popular.

Doo Wop features lots of voice harmonies. The Dells took the street corner Doo Wop style to its limits with "Stay in My Corner."

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back