1. You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Music Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by HuskerWeatherman, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Pops

Pops I have squandered my resistance 10 Year Member

Thinking of a road trip 6/10 Boulder

2. joestrummer

joestrummer Late of Pablo Fanque's Fair 10 Year Member

I've always been kind of a Mayer hater but, from the stuff I've heard, he's done a pretty good job of playing Jerry. It is, however, weird to hear Bob singing Jerry songs.

3. joestrummer

4. Pops

Pops I have squandered my resistance 10 Year Member

This..for me as well

5. joestrummer

I suppose, after 50 years, Bobby has earned the right to sing whatever Dead song he wants. But, there's nobody who can do the "I thought I heard a young man moan this morning" line justice like Jerry. Such a great song. Definitely in my top 5 Dead tunes.

Red Reign and Pops like this.
  6. HuskerWeatherman

HuskerWeatherman Husker Fan 15 Year Member

Conor Oberst is doing a free show at Waterloo Records this afternoon then performing at ACL Live tonight.

I entered the lottery to see a taping of The Head and the Heart at ACL Live. I saw them a year at the Mohawk, and really enjoyed their show.

Hoping to see The Black Angels tomorrow night at Stubb's -- but rain is probably going to be an issue. I hope I know soon enough if they do cancel/postpone, as I'd like to do Microsessions as a backup plan.

Dear Diary.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  7. bugeater61

bugeater61 Kill All Humans 10 Year Member

A lot of talk yesterday about great voices in rock and I didn't see Geoff Tate's name come up, so I'm going give him some props today.

HUSKER HOT SAUCE likes this.
  8. joestrummer

Seems like Conor got some backlash after the first few albums. He is a whiny hipster but he does write some great songs. I still think Lifted is a masterpiece. He was like 20 years old when he wrote those songs. Laura Laurent, Make War, You Will You Will, etc sound like they were written by veteran songwriters. I still get goosebumps when he sings "It's the ones with the sorest throats who've done the most singing" and the drunken choir kicks in.

9. Blue Howl

Blue Howl Drink up, Shriner! 5 Year Member

I don't remember if this was discussed here, but Oberst did a live show in Omaha recently and was lecturing the crowd during his performance because he felt they weren't paying close enough attention.

10. joestrummer

Sounds like par for the course. Jeff Tweedy did that in Lincoln. I think Conor is a whiner but I also think he's a top notch songwriter.

11. BGRed

BGRed Varsity 15 Year Member

I had a chance to see these guys last night as the closing part of a work event. Had a very early morning flight and passed on the chance.

Ackos likes this.
  12. Red Reign

Red Reign Husker Immortal 10 Year Member

Yup not a Mayer fan either. I get what your saying about Bob singing Jerry's song BUT with that being said too many bands have replaced iconic singers with sound a likes to pacify some of the fan base. To me it comes down to an integrity issue and what the music is really about. Similiar situation in the Outlaws and they chose to do it like the Dead and Bob did with Henry Paul singing Hughie Thommasson's songs.

Just me but I like what they are sound and I suspect Jerry would took.

Oh and Bob's new solo album is terrific too.

13. Red Reign

Red Reign Husker Immortal 10 Year Member

From the new album of what he calls 'Camp Fire' songs that he has wanted to do for awhile.

14. HUSKER HOT SAUCE

HUSKER HOT SAUCE Heisman 2 Year Member

Trying to understand how you are a Mayer "hater"? I can't understand, the guy can flat out sing, flat out play his guitar, he is truly an artist. Is it jealousy, that he is that good, or just that you don't like guys who are so technically good? If you heard this, and didn't know it was Mayer, would you say that you didn't like it? Just curious is all.

15. joestrummer

He's certainly a solid guitar player but I've never cared for his music. It sounds like saccharine blue-eyed soul to me. I'm a hack guitar player who likes to noodle around in my living room and get together with the boys once in a while. I don't have the energy to waste being jealous on the tens of thousands of guitarists who are more talented than me. I already said he does a good job as a Jerry fill-in. There are plenty of "technically good" guitar players I enjoy. I'm not surprised you're a Mayer fan.

Red Reign likes this.